DaveinInskip

Default Automatic file numbering

To Free REG boffins,help,please,

I have uploaded file LANKIRBA3 to the main d/base,and then gone to Freereg to start a new file which I expected to be named LANKIRBA4,this did not happen all I got was LANKIRBA.This last named file I uploaded on Jan 3 2011.

How do I change it please?,or do I need to?

Dave in Inskip

Mike Fry

Quote Originally Posted by DaveinInskip View Post
    To Free REG boffins,help,please,

I have uploaded file LANKIRBA3 to the main d/base,and then gone to Freereg to start a new file which I expected to be named LANKIRBA4,this did not happen all I got was LANKIRBA.This last named file I uploaded on Jan 3 2011.

How do I change it please?,or do I need to?
    Automatic suffix numbering of files can only happen if you retain ALL your transcription files in the designated Data Folder i.e. the Transcripts sub-folder of \My Documents\FreeREG\WinREG for Windows. Otherwise, how is the program to know what files you've already done? I suppose we could always look at your upload area on FreeREG, but that would require a permanent internet connection; something not all people have or would welcome.

DaveinInskip

OK Mike i'll try another tack,

If I carry on with the file,and when ready to upload, choose replace as the upload,will it add on to the original LANKIRBA.cvs or will it lose the original

Mike Fry

Quote Originally Posted by DaveinInskip View Post
    OK Mike i'll try another tack,

If I carry on with the file,and when ready to upload, choose replace as the upload,will it add on to the original LANKIRBA.cvs or will it lose the original
    Don't do that! Neither FreeREG nor WinREG can tell that they're different files. You'll overwrite the file you've already uploaded!

The simplest action would be to Rename the file. Use WinREG to do this. Under the File drop-down menu, there's a Rename File option. This will at least allow you to change the middle 3 characters, and would, if all your transcripts were on the PC in the right place, allocate an appropriate numeric suffix.

Alternatively, you can use the Gateway to download the 'missing' files to your PC first, and then do the rename. If the files are already on your PC, but not where WinREG looks for them, use Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) to move or copy the files to where WinREG expects to find them.

DaveinInskip

Thank you Mike for the answer,I chose to download the missing file through the Gateway,and it now resides where it should and have been able to open a new file in numerical sequence.

Regards
    Dave in Inskip