Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: James Hogan

Mutley

My interest is because I descend from Hogans in Tipperary, none were jockeys and none were James but I feel an affinity with you because I was once told ....
    "looking for Hogans in Ireland is like looking for Smiths in England"

I can only wish you good luck and perhaps you would get a better response from the Irish jockey club suggested by Jan in #post3.

Peter57

Yes, the most common surname in Ireland apparently, and in Tipperary particularly. I'm checking with the Irish jockey club - and others. Good luck with your search, best regards

maggie45

Hello, Today I decided to research my Grandfather, James Hogan. I had information from his daughter, my mother, that he had ridden in a Grand National in the 1920a on a horse called Sergeant Murphy and came 4th. My mothers maiden name was Elizabeth Home Hogan.
    It appears that therefore we are probably related. Please let me know how you are related to my Grandfather. I would be very interested to know if you discovered any more information about James.
    Hope you're still a member on this sight and looking forward to your reply.

maggie45

I meant Elizabeth Jone Hogan

Peter57

Hi Maggie, apologies for the very long time in responding to you. I did some work on the family tree around 2012 - 13 and have just picked up the trail again recently and only noticed your post this morning.
    It seems we might have the same grandfather. Mine has been very difficult to find out about. My mother, Madeline, was born in 1921 (passed on in 1998) in Tipperary and knew very little of her father as he came to England to ride horses, quite successfully it seems.
    It would be very interesting to know what information you have and to find out if we are related.
    I hope you are still looking and await with interest to any reply. Kind regards

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hey folks, I'm a former jockey now a Firefighter in Rathkeale, Limerick Ireland.James is my Dad's grand uncle and originated from my town born in the late 18th century and moved to the UK to further his career after a very successful one in Ireland.I'm looking for some more info my self and been onto our local historian recently to see can any more info be got

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I'm his great grand nephew a former jockey myself from his hometown in Rathkeale Limerick Ireland

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by maggie45 View Post
    Hello, Today I decided to research my Grandfather, James Hogan. I had information from his daughter, my mother, that he had ridden in a Grand National in the 1920a on a horse called Sergeant Murphy and came 4th. My mothers maiden name was Elizabeth Home Hogan.
    It appears that therefore we are probably related. Please let me know how you are related to my Grandfather. I would be very interested to know if you discovered any more information about James.
    Hope you're still a member on this sight and looking forward to your reply.
    I'm his great grand nephew

Ray, welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. I'm sorry to have to tell you that none of the people on this old thread are still members - you can see this because they are tagged "guest" under their names. This means that they will not see your messages (once they stop being members we are not allowed to keep their contact info).
    The good news is that a lot more info has come on line since the other posts were made, and other related people may appear. In the mean time, have a look around. Our Irish forum HERE includes quite a few general "howto" and "where to look" messages (all marked as sticky to keep them at the top.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12