Loves to help with queries

Default Coachmaker or Blacksmith - London

Hi
    On the baptism record of my g-grandmother in 1824 her father's occupation is given as a Servant but on her marriage certificate in 1846 he is described as a Coachmaker. This seems quite a 'career change' ! I have been trying to find him in 1841 and 1851 and there are no Coachmakers. There is however a Blacksmith. Is there any relationship between a Blacksmith and then 5 years later a Coachmaker?
    Hope someone has some idea
    Thanks
    Mary

Jan1954

A Coachmaker made and repaired carriages - as in horse-drawn, or even the coaches in those new-fangled trains! Blacksmiths were able to use their skills to repair any of the iron bits 'n' pieces on the coaches. However, both were usually working with metal and I would imagine that the skills from being a blacksmith would be transferable to those needed by a Coachmaker.

Default Coachmaker or Blacksmith London

Many thanks Jan. I think I also saw a probable entry in either 1841 or 1851 who was a Carpenter. I'm wondering if that is more likely. Whether Blacksmith or Carpenter, I do wonder how he got to go from Servant to Coachmaker.
    Regards
    Mary

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Mary C View Post
    Whether Blacksmith or Carpenter, I do wonder how he got to go from Servant to Coachmaker.
    I wonder if the occupation should have been Coachman, but was recorded incorrectly? That would be more likely a move from being a Servant as he could have been a Coachman for a family where, generally speaking, he was a Servant.

Default Coachmaker or Blacksmith - London

That's a thought. It is definitely Coachmaker on the certificate but perhaps that sounded better than Coachman or Servant as the father of the groom was a Farmer who owned houses and land! I am still trying to find him in 1841.
    Mary