Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Amlet

Thank you all for these very useful responses. I'm about to begin picking my way carefully through them. At first glance, it would appear my query was a little more complex than I'd imagined, and I'm extremely grateful for the guidance.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Richard

malcolm99

Downham Market Wesleyan Methodist Circuit

Arthur Plumb BEAL was born 6 April 1863 and baptised on 28 April 1863. Parents William & Susan Beal.

Jabez Cockerton BEALES was born 31 January 1861 and baptised on 7 April 1861. Parents William & Susan Beales.

Presumably they were baptised at the Victoria Chapel, St Johns Street, Nordelph.

See: genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/churches?CCC=NFK,GR=11759,FT=Nordelph%20Chapel%20W esleyan%20Reform (www in front)

Source: freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tinstaafl/Church_Pages/downham_wesleyan2.htm (just put https:// in front)
    Last edited by malcolm99; 14-06-2011 at 8:15 AM. Reason: revised url

Amlet

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    Downham Market Wesleyan Methodist Circuit

Arthur Plumb BEAL was born 6 April 1863 and baptised on 28 April 1863. Parents William & Susan Beal.

Jabez Cockerton BEALES was born 31 January 1861 and baptised on 7 April 1861. Parents William & Susan Beales.

Presumably they were baptised at the Victoria Chapel, St Johns Street, Nordelph.

See: genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/churches?CCC=NFK,GR=11759,FT=Nordelph%20Chapel%20W esleyan%20Reform (www in front)

Source: freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tinstaafl/Church_Pages/downham_wesleyan2.htm (just put https:// in front)

Thank you malcom99 - I'm a little out of my depth here so input and guidance is gratefully received. I've been able to follow the steps suggested in the earlier posts, have found Arthur Plumb in the 1871 census and am about to order a birth certificate from the GRO.

It appears Arthur did marry Lucy Pruday in December 1883 in West Ham, Sussex. However all I'm going on are the census entries and there is much cross referencing still to be done.

Richard

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Amlet View Post
    It appears Arthur did marry Lucy Pruday in December 1883 in West Ham, Sussex. However all I'm going on are the census entries and there is much cross referencing still to be done. Richard
    No, not that one.
    West Ham registration district.
    If you're familiar with FreeBMD, if you click on the district name, then you get a link which tells you the county/counties the district covers, and then a further link to the parishes/places within the registration district. This is what you get when you click on West Ham.
    https://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/dist...bmd_1305579022

Pam

Amlet

Thank you Pam. Yes it's West Ham (Essex) registration district (volume 4a).

I made a right mess of that didn't I .....

I'm not as familiar with Free BMD as I could be and tend to faff about a bit. I appreciate your guidance.

Richard

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quick guide to FreeBMD:

After you've done a search, click on the district and you get link(s) to the places/parishes in that registration district.
    (Just because the registration district is the same name as a town, don't assume that the event happened in that town.)

If you click on the page number you get a list of people (allegedly) on the same page. Very useful in searching for possible spouses.

If a district name is in italics then there is at least a transcription error, and possibly an error in the GRO Index.

In most instances there is a 'specs' symbol to the right of the page number. Click on that and you get a link to the GRO Index image so you can check for yourself where the error has occurred.
    e.g. the entry might say Bolton 7a 359, but when you look at the image you will see that the district name is actually Boston.
    Or it could say Boston 8c 359 which should have been transcribed as Bolton 8c 359.
    Sometimes it's just the page number which is in error, and then at the top of the 'link' page it says something along the lines of 'this page number is out of the expected range'.

The errors are not always straightforward - if the GRO Index is in error, then there's nothing FreeBMD can do to correct it. In the early years of the Index the pages were handwritten, but later on they were 'transcribed' and typed and errors often made.

If you see an 'envelope' to the right of an entry on FreeBMD it's what they call a post-em. Click on it, and it will give information relating to the entry. It could be further details about the person, an email address of someone who has that person in their tree, or details about an error in the GRO Index.

The search facility on FreeBMD is (in my opinion) far superior to that on Ancestry and FMP, as you can search using just a first name in a specific quarter/year/district/county - very useful for those early days when surnames didn't have a standard spelling.

I would suggest that you have a read of the the pages you can reach via the 'information' link on the FreeBMD home page, as they cover in more detail what I've briefly touched on. https://www.
    freebmd.org.uk/

Another page which you may find useful https://www.
    ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/index.htm
    Pam

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Amlet View Post
    It appears Arthur did marry Lucy Pruday in December 1883 in West Ham, Sussex.
    I guess it's just a slip of your finger, but this should be PURDAY.

Amlet

Thank you Pam. I started the search on Ancestry Ca. and it was an all too easy transition to slide into Ancestry Uk from there.

I will make the effort to better aqauint myself with Free BMD.

It was a slip Malcolm - doing several things at once. Not good at my age :-))

Richard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12