Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acronym

Peterjay123

Default Acronym

Hi all, reading my Dad's war service record I notice he was given 7 days leave RASLR, can anyone throw some light on what that term means ?
    Many thanks
    Peter.

Peterjay123

Sorry, can I add one more ? this time given 9 days leave with SLRRA, please help with that one if you can.
    Thanks,
    Peter.

Peterjay123

Arrrgh, I know I am going to struggle with this, I have received all of his details from the records office but it is really difficult to understand what it all means. I thought it would give me his location at any given time, and troopship detail etc but it seems to be a list of acronyms with dates. I am hoping to do a timeline of his actions/ movements in my family history book, is there an expert I can turn to with this ?
    Peter.

Colin Rowledge

Good luck, Peter. I am currently awaiting my own dad's records.

If, when I get 'em they're like yours, I may start sending you private messages for translation of his.

Peterjay123

Hi Colin, best of luck to you too, I hope someone can help with this thread - doesn't look too promising.
    Peter.

I am no expert, I'm afraid, and it probably has something to do with the regiment, but if you go to the Imperial War Museum page
    www.
    iwm.org.uk/server/show/nav.00p005001
    and look just under the picture, where it says Further Information, you can download a PDF file with common abbreviations
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Try this site, they have a thread on Abbreviations and plenty of links to lists.

www.
    ww2talk.com

What Regiment did he serve in?

Keith

BeeE586

I too have been struggling with my late husband's Service Record and the abbreviations. When I got the records there were included many pages of abbreviations but sadly, apart from HAA - Heavy Anti-aircraft - none are included. His three and a half years service in North Africa and Italy occupies just three lines.

Sadly, neither RASLR nor SLRRA is included.

Eileen

Coromandel

I don't have a clue about what the RASLR and SLRRA stand for but my crossword-puzzling brain spotted that they were anagrams of one another . . . indeed one is RA + SLR and the other is SLR + RA. I wonder if they might both stand for the same thing, but in different orders?

BeeE586

I had tried variations on my lists but not quite like that.

RA - Royal Artillery

The nearest for SLR is S LAN R - South Lancashire Regiment

Any good ?

Eileen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast