qltr

Default Dorothy E. Stokes oceanliner nurse

Dorothy (Emma) Stokes

Dorothy (b. 1883) in Aston, Warwickshire. Parents were Richard. Stokes and Emma (Randell?/Allan?) Siblings were Alfred (1891-1916), Richard (1881-?) and Robert J. (1886-?).

She is listed in the UK 1891 and UK 1901 Census living with her father and siblings.

Someone previously suggested she married Thomas Druce & died in 1924. This has proven not to be correct. It has also been suggested she married James Hartopp but I do not think that is correct either. (We never heard that she married.) The only other family info we know are 1. she was a nurse and 2. she died in the war. Originally we thought that meant WWI when her brother Alfred died but my sister has found a photo of her on a ship in c. 1930 with what looks to be the George Washington bridge in the background.

I found her name (Dorothy Stokes) listed on the Manifests of Aliens Employed on the Vessel as Members of the Crew of the steam ship SS Majestic (White Star line). She is listed as a nurse on the following 6 crossings: Oct. 1929, Dec. 1929, May 1930, August 1930, Nov. 1930, May 1931.

I cannot locate her between 1901 when she was living with her father and siblings and 1929 - the first time she shows up as a nurse on the Majestic. I also cannot locate her after 1931 (except maybe in the undated photo). Besides both UK and US Census, I have checked nursing schools, WWI nursing sites, White Star lines history sites (mostly Titanic info), a charming 1927 newsreel of passengers on board the Majestic.

To sum up- What happened during her missing years of 1901 and 1929. and what happened after her last crossing (that I could find) in 1931.

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

Richard1955

This is very likely:
    Name: STOKES, Dorothy
    District: Aston
    County: Warwickshire
    Year of Registration: 1921 Mar Qtr
    Spouse's name: Gulliver Frederick G.
    6D 933

Richard1955

Possible death for Frederick G Gulliver Dec qtr 1944 age 51. Smethwick 6b 633

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1955 View Post
    This is very likely:
    Name: STOKES, Dorothy
    District: Aston
    County: Warwickshire
    Year of Registration: 1921 Mar Qtr
    Spouse's name: Gulliver Frederick G.
    6D 933
    Very unlikely I would have thought unless Dorothy left Mr G, and then reverted to her maiden name in 1929.

There is also a death registration for a Dorothy Gulliver, March quarter 1977, Birmingham registration district, which gives a birth year of 1900.
    Pam

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

qltr,
    You might want to check out the Ellis Island website, ellisisland.org/

There are several entries for a Dorothy Stokes in 1919- 1924 though her age is out.
    And some of the entries for 1920 give an address in Devon.
    So perhaps not yours.
    Pam
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 04-06-2011 at 8:39 AM. Reason: After checking site further, added more info, and doubt.

Reputation beyond repute

Dorothy (b. 1883) in Aston, Warwickshire. Parents were Richard. Stokes and Emma (Randell?/Allan?)
    Sounds as if you haven't got the birth certificate. I would suggest that is the first thing you need.

Someone previously suggested she married Thomas Druce & died in 1924. This has proven not to be correct.
    May I ask how that was proved?

qltr

I would have to agree with Pam Downes especially bcs her DOB is 1900 which is 17 years off of known 1883 DOB for Dorothy. But thank you for trying to help.

qltr

I have a copy of the marriage certificate for her parents. I read Emma's last name as Roundell (both her handwriting and her father's name.) Also, written as Randall on another piece of paper. The Allan name was suggested by not another miner (super moderator) as being on the same page as Richard's. I suppose the name could have been transcribed incorrectly but I decided to go with the name as I read it.

I can follow Richard and Emma and their children until 1901 - Emma has died, the 4 children are with Richard. Alfred dies in 1916 KIA in France. Robert emigrates to US in 1902 and marries in NJ (my gateway ancestor). The 3rd brother, Richard H., marries and they immigrate to US in 1910 and settle in Ulster, NY with their daughter.

I was content to let Dorothy become Mrs. Druce and die in 1924 until my sister found the photo. As I say the only thing we ever knew about her was that she was a nurse and died during the war. Once her name popped up as a nurse working on the Majestic it seemed the right fit. The people in the picture appear to be dressed in 1930s style clothes and my father looks to be in his teens making that 1924 DOD incorrect. And - the same question as before - why would she drop her husband's name (if she had been married) when she worked on the ship? Dorothy is not a brickwall in the family line but the more questions we ask, the more curious we are as to what happened to her.

Thanks for trying to unravel the thread.

Sue Light

I'm on another tack, but hopefully might add to the story. Being born in 1883, she is likely to have trained as a nurse (if she did do a training) between about 1905 and 1911. This means she could possibly have served as a nurse with the military nursing services in the Great War, and there is a service file at The National Archives for a member of Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve in the name of Dorothy Stokes - the reference is WO399/8003. Of course, it could belong to another Dorothy Stokes, but probably worth a check to see if its relevant. It wouldn't sort out the post-war period, but might be interesting.

Sue

Colin Rowledge

Not sure that I can be of much help, but I'll try.

Looked at the May 1931 list and found that she was 1 of 2 nurses on the outward bound voyage. She was 47 years old, English, weight 132 lbs. and was 5 feet 6 inches in height. What struck me was that she was not discharged or paid off upon arrival. This indicates that she would make at least one more trip back to England.

White Star lines, I believe, but am not able to confirm, had a policy that crewmen and women of service to passengers had to be under the age of 50. This would be about 1933 or 34. With the photo you have, can you determine if the lady in question, fits the physical description from 1931?

With her qualifications she would certainly have been 'useful' as a civilian nurse during the early stage of W.W.2. so it is quite possible to locate some reference to her during that conflict.

Finally - a possible death -Jul-Sep q. 1960 at age 76 in Sheffield, Yorkshire West Riding - vol. 2d page 40 has a listing for a Dorothy E. Stokes. Might be worth a try!!!

Colin