Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi Marline

Sorry I haven’t answered your message before now. So Kate was the sister of my husbands g grandmother Rose Dridge, who married a William Dridge (Cousin) and after his death a Frank Philips.

E Kennett was Kate’s step father and Charlotte Taylor was her mother’s sister in law. Charlotte was married to Edward Taylor a parchment maker. I do have some more information on the Dridge’s and Taylor’s is you would like to email me just take out the spaces and lines and all in lower case.
    I d r e d g e
    @
    L i n e o n e
    . N e t

Irene

Default Dridge family

Hi Marline

I have found the marriage and for the life of me I can't find them on any census. I did find Charles J Wood in London 1891 and 1901 with two daughters would this be the couple.

I have now found the rest of the Dridge family under Dredge. I wonder why I didn't look under that before.

Irene

Angry Dridge update

The latest update is that in fact I have got the wrong William Dridge as father to our grandfather Charles Dredge. Granddad was Charles Frederick not Charles Edward, it didn't help that Charles E had my father in laws birthday 15th May, Charles Frederick was 4 November 1885 and is the son of William and Martha Richardson.
    The 2 Williams are cousins, William Dridge born 1851 to Jane who went on to marry James Farndell, and William born 1848 to Edward & Jane Wells. (Edward Dridge is the brother to Jane Dridge. And the fact that Uncle related the story of William who had his arm shot off by his gun he died 1893 and is the son of Jane. This William married Rosa Dridge daughter of George Dridge ( George is brother to Edward and brother to Jane) Then Rosa Dridge who was a cousin to William remarried to Mr Phillips. That family lived in the wrong place to where I was shown granddad lived. So lots of digging and finely found the right family.

I still end up with Edward Dridge born 1798 and Martha Randell

if you would like to email me at i dredge at bt internet dot com, remove spaces and add the at and dot signs, should start idredge and end .com

Uncle always said why do you want to trace the family they were poor, my reply was, 95% of the people were poor that didn't matter, what did was we are here to prove that they did manage to survive and bring up another generation. So feel proud of what they did achieve against all odds. Its not much by todays standards, just managing to live was an achievement for them. Never look down on your ancestor, they had it a lot harder than we can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by idredge View Post
    Hi all

My husbands grandfather was born in Emsworth. I have traced the family back to 1798 so I would like to post our names interest on this board in the hopes that one of you may be related to him.

We would be pleased to hear from you and share our information.

Although our name is now spelt Dredge it is in fact Dridge. When granddad married in London 1913 it was spelt Dredge and he never changed it back. But he did always maintain the spelling was wrong. We have proved beyond doubt this is our family.

Dridge, Charles (granddad), parents Rosa Dridge & William Dridge (Cousins)
    Phillips, Avis, Harry & Frank (granddad half siblings)
    Taylor, (Isabella born in Reading father Abraham)
    Farndell
    Randall

Kennett
    Leggett

Uncle Ted has shown us where granddad lived and retold many stories which granddad had told him.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Irene

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question eliabeth was last daughter of jane and james

Quote Originally Posted by idredge View Post
    Hi Susan

Just found your message, the name Farndell relates to James Farndell who married Jane Dridge 1853 in Emsworth. She already had a son William Dridge (g grandfather) but not married. She was living with her brother in 1851 William was born just after the 1851 census. James and Jane went on to have further children but only girls, one married a Kennett another a Leggett but they stayed around the Emsworth area, but I am not sure who the other daughter married. I have an idea but haven't proved it yet.

I have no idea who William's father is it could be James as on his married James is a witness but not named as father.

Irene
    elizabeth was the last daughter she had two daughters out of wedlock of which one is bertha farndell and is my great grandmother

iaz

Quote Originally Posted by Lorrain1 View Post
    elizabeth was the last daughter she had two daughters out of wedlock of which one is bertha farndell and is my great grandmother

iaz
    Since writing the last message I have found I was following the wrong William Dridge, it was in fact his cousin William son of Edward & Jane Wells. Edward Dridge and Jane Dridge were brother and sister, and Jane was living with Edward and Jane nee Wells in 1851. Are you aware that William, Jane Farndell nee Dridge son died in 1893 of a gun shot wounds while he was in the punt. I heard that story from Uncle Ted but he didn't who, thought it was a brother or father thats the trouble of 2nd hand stories. But I did find it. William married Rose Dridge a cousin, Rose's father was George, she then went on to marry a Frank Phillips. regards Irene

The Dridge family
    James Dridge & Sarah (Sally)

Edward Dridge born 1799 married Martha Randall
    Ann 1818
    Edward 1821
    George 1826
    Maria 1829
    Jane 1931
    James 1834
    Emma 1841

Edward & Jane Wells
    Charles Edward Dridge Wells
    William 1848
    Jane 1850
    Richard 1851
    Emma 1854
    Frederick 1863
    Elizabeth 1864
    Samuel 1867
    Sarah Ann 1870
    Flora Ellen 1872

William Dridge & Martha Richardson
    Fanny Dridge 1871
    William Charles 1872
    Albert Edward 1874
    Annie Louise 1876
    Martha Jane 1878
    Kate 1880
    Charles Frederick 1885

Charles Frederick Dridge (known as Charles Dredge) married Harriet Ethel Hinton 1913 (Known as Ethel)
    Charles Dredge married Ethel Hitnon 1913 in Camberwell
    Ethel 1913
    Ethel Doris 1914 (known as Doris)
    Miriam 1920 (known as Connie)
    Arthur Charles 1921 (Known as Charles)
    Ernest Edward 1923 (known as Ted)

I am now 100% sure this is the right family.

Hope this helps someone
    regards
    Irene

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12