Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wenfri

Default Images in PDF format

I have my dad's WW2 letters on CD thanks to my sister.

My problem is they have been scanned and saved as images. I can read them just fine but...........

I met a 2nd cousin on line and I know my Dad and Uncle John visited her grandmother during the war.

I know I can attach the file to an email but the file it too large to send.

How can i break it down into smaller parts??

Tried saving select parts as text but no go.

Tried to take a snap shot and paste it but no go.

Tried to copy and paste it but no go.

Any other ideas out there??

Wendy

JillianR

There's a free program called PrimoPDF which saves other types of files as PDFs. It gives you another printer option "print to PDF" which you can select and then choose to save to file. I use it to save web pages as PDFs and then print them out so that all the pictures etc are in the right position on the page. A very handy program. You would need to open the image, select "print" and then the drop down box will show your regular printer and the PrimoPDF printer. You don't have to actually print anything, it's just how the program works.

Ken_R

Similar thing is the Doro PDF Writer. Again a free program. I use it when I find relevant newspaper items. I do a 'screen dump' and then size and position it in Word, and then 'Print' (in the not literal sense) to the PDF writer. I used it when cariadfach in Florida was tracing some relatives originating from the Bristol area.

Ken_R

On a similar vein, if when you have a readable image that vertically extends beyond the size of the screen, Gadwin PrintScreen, another free download, captures, IIRC, the whole of the image rather than just the section displayed.

However, a long time since I've used it.

David Benson

You didn't say how big the 'file' was. I suspect that you may be trying to send the complete CD - which probably contains all the images. You could select just a few images and attach those to an email or look at one of the 'Upload' sites that will allow you to 'store' your complete CD. Give the location address to the other person and they can download the CD from there. Once downloaded you can delete the stored CD on the upload site. There are usually limits on the size of the storage available but you should be o.k. with your files.

Use a popular search engine with an appropriate choice of search words should yield quite a few options, eg PDFTools, depending, of course, on your operating system. Make sure one of your search words is "free" and differentiate the free software from the free downloads.

wenfri

You didn't say how big the 'file' was. I suspect that you may be trying to send the complete CD
    The CD's are broken down into years. From 1941 - 1945. these are hand written letters but my sister scanned them and saved them as images. (for shame on her)

EAch year has it own CD and Each year is broke down into months. There was any where between 1 - 5 letters per month. EAch letter having it's own file.

You are right the file I was sending was too large too send via my email server.

Ended up typing out 5 -6 pages of the letter and saving it to a smaller file. Working with my 2nd cousin in England to see if we can turn up some older history.

guess I will end typing what I want and doing it that way.

Read them all once before but amazing what I missed the 1st time around

Thanks everyone for helping.

Wendy

Jan1954

Just a suggestion (and I won't take offence if you tell me that I am talking rubbish, as I know diddly about computers) but as the CDs have been created by your sister - and therefore have no copyright issues - could you not copy the CDs and put them in the post?

There is a site where you can upload files and give people access to it, so they can view the files. It has 2 settings for folders, one is public where anyone can view the contents and the other is the restricted access one.
    I use it for ease when working on 2 PC's, the files are stored 'in the ether' but when you log on, any changes made to the files are updated on the other PC's folder, so you always have the most up to date file to work on.
    Google 'drop box'.

wenfri

but as the CDs have been created by your sister - and therefore have no copyright issues - could you not copy the CDs and put them in the post?
    I probably (sp??)could but the one letter alone is 77,684 kb. Methinks that is a lot of data to post here. That is just one letter for July 4/1941. The whole CD is out of the question

There are no copywright issues just my Dad's wishes that they should not be made public. Already got ripped out for posting his brother's letters.
    Will leave it at that

Neil thanks for the insight. What site is that?? Just for future reference

Wendy
    PS here is part of the letter

Letter dated July 4th,1941 to ESther Elizabeth Bowey(nee White) )his mother, my Dad

Sending part of it as it won't send as an attachment. too large.

Sneaked off at 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon. A day ahead ot time. Just as well I did for it took me nine hours to get up to Stafford. What a ride. If it stopped once it stopped a
    hundred times. got off the train a Stafford, landed up a main bus stop. Trying to get a bus buth no buses they had stopped running. Found a phone booth,
    Tried to get in touch with Ted but no dice. found out later he hasn't a phone. Tryed harvey's place at Brockton, still no phone. Tryed Dorothy's at Milford, couldn't miss them as
    they have everything from telephone to to telephone exchange. Spoke to Aunt Jeannie, she told me to go up to the YMCA and I would get a rife in a R.A. truck that comes threw Milford
    every night at eleven O'clock. Arrived in my luxury liner at eleven fifteen at Milford. Dorothy met me, took me into the house and introduced me to dear Aunt Jeannie. She's an old dear
    Looked after me just like a mother. Bawled me out for doing this and that. Just the same she treated me swell.

WAnted to go to bed right away but nothing doing, had to have a cup of tea and a spot to eat before I could do a darn thing.I had my snack then of to bed. Dorothy woke me at none thirty,
    told me breakfast was ready. Has a shave, shave then rushed for breakfast as my stomach ws beginning to think my throat was out. (??)
    May was there in the kitchen sorting out th e papers for the paper route and what a paper route.

Rushed thru breakfast as I told May I would help her with the papers. Got out one of the 4 or 5 bicycles, then we were off. What a route she had. If I had that I
    woouldn't keep it a week before I got fed up and threw it in the nearest river or cancel. Covers around eith miles, that's not counting the running up and down
    lane ways you have to do. Doing that runs it up to nearly 15 miles or more

First day out May took me down to the old church to see Granny's grave. Put a few flowers on the grave too make it look nice. They still have not got a head stone for the gravesite
    but may said they were getting it very shortly. Hope so as it makes it look out of place the way it is now.

Next stop was at Eleven forty five at the Seven Stars Inn where we always stopped and had two or three. It's in a good spot as around 3 we usually get
    very dry. By the time we left we were well satisfied.

Forgot to tell you that May took me all thru the old church. It was very interesting for the size of the place.

We always met Harvey at the Chetman and Arms when he was coming home from work. Beleive you have heard of the place or I should say you have been in it qite a few times.
    Liked Harvey and May alot as they were always lots of fun. Especially Harvey as he was sure one wild son of a gun.
    Stayed at the chet until 1:30 then went back to Aunt Jeannie's. Everytime I went into the house after papers Aunty used to smell beer then the lecture.
    Always got her on my side by the time supper came. Used to do a little weeding in the garden or take a dig at shining the car. You see there is a madness in my system
    even it does cost me a little hard work.

Same with May and Harvey. When I was out them it was very seldom I was able to buy a beer for t hem Just because I helped May with papers every morning and
    went up to her place in Brocton a couple of afternnons to cut grass, weed the garden etc.

Dropped up to Stafford one afternoon and saw Ted, wife and the 2 girls. Went from there to the "Plough and Trumpet". Met harvey and May. Also Allen and Eve. Two good friends of yours I believe.
    From there to the "Vine" Again I m et May, Eve and Harvey, also May's sister.

Haven't been able to get down to see your Aunt in Colchester here for nearly 2 months. Will go down again when I know her husband is home alone as he is
    a good head. Don't worry Mom I will go up to Dinder Wells and see Uncle Jack some of these days.
    Last edited by wenfri; 01-06-2011 at 2:07 AM. Reason: addding info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast