Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Red face Martin Family - Ireland/Scotland

Looking for Samuel Ferguson Martin born 1865 in Ireland/Scotland; believed to have married a Mary Ann and had a son Alexander born 1881. Samuel is the son of James b 1834 and Mary Barr b. 1833. I have tracked the entire family from now til 1812 and have actual documents for a lot of the family so I can verify a lot of information. For some odd reason I can't find what happens to Samuel. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, sorry. they are mostly from Down, Ireland. His father and mother seem to have stayed in Ireland while his brother Alexander b 1854, brother Robert b 1872 came over to America in 1907 & 1906. His sisters Ellen b. 1871 and Susan b. 1870 also came to America while Martha b 1868 I think stayed in Ireland. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello there and welcome.

If you order Alexander's birth certificate it should give you his mother's maiden name and an address for the family for that time. There is a possibility Oct - Dec 1880 Banbridge (Irish Civil Registrations via Family Search though no parents' names given) MInd you Samuel would have been only 15 at the time...

However (and you may already know this) from Family Search there are two Samuel Ferguson Martins born in 1865 both registered in Banbridge reg district. - One son of James and Mary Barr in Dromore, the other son of John Dawson Martin and Jane in Crossgar. So you will have to be careful not to get the two confused!

The only marriage I see so far is for a Samuel ferguson martin Oct - Dec 1891 - could be for either of them. If ordering you would need to specify father's name James

Only deaths I can see so far are for plain Samuel Martins. Best would be Oct - dec 1919 Banbridge (b 1864) But may not be him.

Have you picked up any of the family in the 1901 Irish census? Any sign of Samuel there?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    However (and you may already know this) from Family Search there are two Samuel Ferguson Martins born in 1865 both registered in Banbridge reg district. - One son of James and Mary Barr in Dromore, the other son of John Dawson Martin and Jane in Crossgar. So you will have to be careful not to get the two confused!
    Just for information/elimination, it appears that one of these Samuel's is living in Cumbria from 1891 onward and he may have married Margaret Wilson in 1890 in Cumbria.

1901: RG13 Piece: 4895 Folio: 5 Page: 1(crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    6 Palmers Court Hare & Hounds Inn, Cleator
    MARTIN, Samuel Ferguson, head, 35, Innkeeper, Ireland Co Down
    MARTIN, Margaret, wife, 40, Cleator Cumberland
    WILSON, William, step son, 16, Cleator Cumberland
    WILSON, Robert Hey, step son, 14, Cleator Cumberland
    MARTIN, Samuel F, son, 6, Cleator Cumberland
    MARTIN, Ada G, daughter, 4, Cleator Cumberland
    MCGUINESS, Mary, Servant, 19, Domestic Servant, Cleator Cumberland

Thanks all. Yes, I do have the actual real birth certificate for Alexander b. 12/24/1854 (he is my great-grandfather); Samuel Ferguson is his brother. Alexander was born in Dromore, County Down and Baptised at the Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church of Ireland. I have the 1901 census, but than I can't find him after that. I even have his father' and mother's information James Martin born 1834 died 1910 and Marry Barr born 1833; James' father is Henry martin born 1812 died 1877 in Down, Ireland though I don't know his wife or any other children.

Quote Originally Posted by Alby65 View Post
    Thanks all. Yes, I do have the actual real birth certificate for Alexander b. 12/24/1854 (he is my great-grandfather); Samuel Ferguson is his brother. Alexander was born in Dromore, County Down and Baptised at the Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church of Ireland. I have the 1901 census, but than I can't find him after that.
    I'm not really clear if you have Alexander or Samuel in the 1901 census. Could you give us a reference/address for any of your Martin family in the 1901 Ireland census please, as this would save us searching. Also, have you found father James Martin in the 1901 census, seeing as he died in 1910?

Quote Originally Posted by Alby65 View Post
    Yes, I do have the actual real birth certificate for Alexander b. 12/24/1854 (he is my great-grandfather); .
    Sorry, I meant Alexander b abt 1881, son of Samuel Ferguson Martin. If this Alexander is the son of your Samuel Ferguson Martin then the cert should name Samuel's wife. Although it does make samuel a father at 15 or 16.

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    Just for information/elimination, it appears that one of these Samuel's is living in Cumbria from 1891 onward and he may have married Margaret Wilson in 1890 in Cumbria.

1901: RG13 Piece: 4895 Folio: 5 Page: 1(crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    6 Palmers Court Hare & Hounds Inn, Cleator
    MARTIN, Samuel Ferguson, head, 35, Innkeeper, Ireland Co Down
    MARTIN, Margaret, wife, 40, Cleator Cumberland
    WILSON, William, step son, 16, Cleator Cumberland
    WILSON, Robert Hey, step son, 14, Cleator Cumberland
    MARTIN, Samuel F, son, 6, Cleator Cumberland
    MARTIN, Ada G, daughter, 4, Cleator Cumberland
    MCGUINESS, Mary, Servant, 19, Domestic Servant, Cleator Cumberland

Family search has a 41 yr old Samuel F Martin from Cleator travelling to New York in 1907

The 1901 Census is for Alexander Martin and the address is Fullwood Place, Clydesdale Ireland. The only other info I have on Samuel Ferguson born February 1, 1865 to James Martin & Mary Barr is from FamilySearch.org. after that I can't find him. Though on Ancestry.com some families have him married to a Mary Ann Bingham; though I can't verify it. All the other information I have is mostly on Alexander and his immediate family (which includes wife Elizabeth Mahood, children Christinia, Minnie, Jessie, Ellen, Edith, Ethel, John, Annie, William and Daisy - just in case anyone out there knows them I have a ton on them).

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    The only marriage I see so far is for a Samuel ferguson martin Oct - Dec 1891 - could be for either of them. If ordering you would need to specify father's name James
    Looking at this marriage...

name: Samuel Ferguson Martin
    registration district: Banbridge
    event type: MARRIAGES
    registration quarter and year: Oct - Dec 1891
    volume number: 1
    page number: 235
    digital folder number: 4179388

This spouse appears to match...

name: Margaret Ann Montgomery
    registration district: Banbridge
    event type: MARRIAGES