Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Update: Samuel Ferguson Martin married Mary Ann Bingham, Dec. 25, 1891 in County Down at Dromore Unitarian church. Thanks to you all I found the marriage certificate on rootsireland. Has his father as James Martin and her father as John Bingham. Witnesses include: Ellen Anne martin (which I know is his sister). Now, I'm going to search around and see if I can track them from here.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Alby65 View Post
    Update: Samuel Ferguson Martin married Mary Ann Bingham, Dec. 25, 1891 in County Down at Dromore Unitarian church. ... Has his father as James Martin and her father as John Bingham.
    Glad you got a good result with the marriage. Wondering about Samuel's occupation and address - does it tie into the Samuel found in the 1901 census at all?

Witnesses include: Ellen Anne martin (which I know is his sister). Now, I'm going to search around and see if I can track them from here.
    As an aside, the tree I looked at on Ancestry has Ellen Anne Martin marrying William Steele in 1896. If I have the correct Ellen and William Steel, then they are living in Mount Street in 1911.

1911: https://www.census.nationalarchives.i...Street/207902/

I believe he is Samuel's child as the only other male in the family during that time frame is Alexander (my great-grandfather) and Robert who I confirmed did marry Agnes Bell and had Thomas, Mary, Ellen, Agnes & Robert James. So I would think Alexander goes with Samuel; unless James Martin their father has brothers...which I haven't found yet.
    Do you mean, unless James Martin had other sons? If I have the correct Mary Barr MARTIN in the 1911 census, then she states how many children she has had, (check the image rather than the transcription.) See post #17 for the link to the census.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    Do you mean, unless James Martin had other sons? If I have the correct Mary Barr MARTIN in the 1911 census, then she states how many children she has had, (check the image rather than the transcription.) See post #17 for the link to the census.
    I though it might be useful to post a transcription...

1911: Residents of a house 19 in Mount Street (Dromore Urban, Down)
    MARTIN Robert James, 36, Head of Family, Church of Ireland, Co Down, General Labourer, Read and write, married
    MARTIN Agnes Sarah, 36, Wife, Co Down, Read and write, married 15 years, 8 children, 5 still living
    MARTIN Mary Barr, 76, Mother, Co Down, Read and write, widow, married 55? years, 12 children, 10 still living
    MARTIN Thomas, 14, Son, Co Down, Scholar, Read and write
    MARTIN Mary, 12, Daughter Co Down, Scholar, Read and write
    MARTIN Robert James, 5, Son, Co Down, Scholar, Cannot read
    MARTIN Agness, 4, Daughter-Co Down, Scholar, Cannot read
    MARTIN Ellen Ann, 1, Daughter, Co Down, Scholar, Cannot read

The address I have for Samuel Martin and Mary Anne Bingham at the time of marriage says for him Lurganbane and her Dromore his occupation says Weaver and hers Hemstitcher. Samuel's father James was a weaver and Mary Anne's dad John was a Labourer. The tree on Ancestry may be mine or my cousins...I actually found 3 of my cousins from the sisters of my Grandfather William Martin (his dad is Alexander). Still tracking...had a power outage today for 5 hours so will start again tomorrow!

Ok, I checked the 1901 and 1911 census and the 1901 with James & Mary Martin on Mount Street seems correct (lists him as a weaver - which is the same on the marriage report of Samuel martin & Mary Ann Bingham). Though it does list a Thomas Scott as a son born 1882 and that is the first time I have seen his name show up anywhere. The 1901 census for Samuel & Mary Ann Martin on Mount Street also seems correct (lists occupation as a weaver also) though he too has a Thomas Scott born 1896. The 1911 census which has Robert James, Agnes Sarah and Mary Barr is absolutely correct (has them having 8 children and only 5 living - so I need to do more research to find the 3 that passed away). Will put all this into ancestry and see what I find from here. Again, thank you all for help. Still trying to track Samuel...

Jason Campbell

Ok, I checked the 1901 and 1911 census and the 1901 with James & Mary Martin on Mount Street seems correct (lists him as a weaver - which is the same on the marriage report of Samuel martin & Mary Ann Bingham). Though it does list a Thomas Scott as a son born 1882 and that is the first time I have seen his name show up anywhere. The 1901 census for Samuel & Mary Ann Martin on Mount Street also seems correct (lists occupation as a weaver also) though he too has a Thomas Scott born 1896. The 1911 census which has Robert James, Agnes Sarah and Mary Barr is absolutely correct (has them having 8 children and only 5 living - so I need to do more research to find the 3 that passed away). Will put all this into ancestry and see what I find from here. Again, thank you all for help. Still trying to track Samuel...
    Alby, I have just come across this. Robert Martin b.1872 d. 1957 was my great grandfather and his daughter Agness b.1907 d. 1983 was my grandmother. Her daughter is my mother. Robert was a Boer War veteran ( I have his South Africa medals) so does not appear on the 1901 census as he would have been out of the country. If there is anything you want to know about the family going forward from say 1911 let me know and I will do some digging. I was able to go back to the marriage of James Martin and Mary Barr in Banbridge Registry Office on 7 August 1855 but no further. I can now add Henry Martin on to the family tree, so thanks for that.

Jason, hello. This is so great. I have already be in contact with 3 other "cousins" of the Martins stemming from Alexander Martin & Elizabeth Mahood's children. ANy information you have on Robert and/or the Martins would be great. I actually just came back from Ireland and Scotland (a side trip from the Olympics) to do some research on the families unfortunately didn't find much more as a lot of the records were lost in Ireland. Though I do have a ton of pictures from cemeteries that I am trying to piece together to see if any fit into the family. Will take me sometime to put together but hopefully will answer some questions. Not sure if you have access to Ancestry, but I do have a family on there and would love to share it with you. I will give you my email so that if you could tell me more about Robert and your family and I inturn will share whatever you need/want. Pleae know anything I do put on Ancestry has been verified a couple of times and all the documents I have from Alexander and Elizabeth and their children are mostly originals. My mom is the daughter of WIlliam Martin & Sarah Donegan (one of the two sons Alexander & Elizabeth had) and she was fortunate to save the documents. Can't wait to touch base with you and share our discoveries. Allison ([email protected])

marador

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Campbell View Post
    Alby, I have just come across this. Robert Martin b.1872 d. 1957 was my great grandfather and his daughter Agness b.1907 d. 1983 was my grandmother. Her daughter is my mother. Robert was a Boer War veteran ( I have his South Africa medals) so does not appear on the 1901 census as he would have been out of the country. If there is anything you want to know about the family going forward from say 1911 let me know and I will do some digging. I was able to go back to the marriage of James Martin and Mary Barr in Banbridge Registry Office on 7 August 1855 but no further. I can now add Henry Martin on to the family tree, so thanks for that.
    Hi Jason
    I am researching Martin Family from Thomas Neill Martin a son of Robert James martin and Agnes Sarah Bell.
    Would be very interested in exchanging information with you.
    I am on Ancestry and Tree name is "DoranFamilyTree"
    Hope to hear from you soon
    my email johnATsecondbytesDOTcoDOTuk
    Regards
    John Doran
    Last edited by christanel; 24-08-2013 at 9:51 PM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

marador

Oh, sorry. they are mostly from Down, Ireland. His father and mother seem to have stayed in Ireland while his brother Alexander b 1854, brother Robert b 1872 came over to America in 1907 & 1906. His sisters Ellen b. 1871 and Susan b. 1870 also came to America while Martha b 1868 I think stayed in Ireland. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I am a little worried on the Robert side. The entry to New York for Alexander and some of the children mention his brother Robert in Newark New Jersey.
    The Robert James Martin (b1872) is clearly related to James Martin and Mary Barr. He is present in Dromore on the 1911 census.
    Does that mean he returned from USA or is the Robert in Newark another person?
    That would place serious questions over the various families.
    Hope you can clear this up for me.
    thanks!

I don't and can't find any information on Robert going to US...not sure if this is one of ours or not...hmm...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast