Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    gasser

One possibility for Maudi's birth (if she was a little older than we thought):

Maude Rhoda Didcott, birth registered in the first quarter of 1880, Lambeth district
    ??? 1881 Maud Joseph aged 10 mths, born Notting Hill, listed as 'boarder' with John & Emily Cook in Mongomery Street ???

gasser

Maude Rhoda Didcott, birth registered in the first quarter of 1880, Lambeth district
    Another piece of info: fron New York Times - London March 27 1909
    "....over the wedding of Maudi Darrell a musical comedy actress aged close upon 30, who captured a 23 year old Scotch Laird, Ian Bullough........."

I have been looking for Gerald Spencer Morice in Censuses without success. But can't help wondering about

1891 RG12 811 58 3
    Gerald S Didcott, age 12, b. Westminster, at school in brighton

1901 RG13 668 110 28
    Elizabeth Didcott, Wife, married, age 35, living on own means, b. Westminster
    Spencer Didcott, stepson, age 23, living on own means, b. Lambeth

On 20 June 1890 a Mrs and Master Didcott (no given names/dates of birth) had sailed for S. Africa.

Was Gerald Spencer known as Morice and Didcott at different times?

1881 Census RG11 530 23 39

As Transcribed

Monie, Hubert J, Head Lodger, Widower, 38, Agent, b. London
    Hadock, Rhoda, Servant, Single, 23, Servant General, b. London
    Fleming, Emily, Boarder, Single, 26, Dressmaker, b. Sheffield
    Monie, Spencer, Son, Single, 2, b. England
    Fleming, Maude, Boarder, Single, 1, b. England
    Address 73 St George's Rd, St George the Martyr, Southwark

Have looked at the original.
    (copyright TNA)
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 24-05-2011 at 6:42 PM. Reason: added required acknowledgement to TNA

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by gasser View Post
    I looked on the 1871 census and found;
    Henry Fox aged 54 occ. Comedian born City of Westminster
    Mary Ann aged 45 wife born London
    Ellen daughter aged 15 (right age for 'Rose') born London
    Harriet daughter aged 12 born London
    They were living at Hunters Buildings, Lambeth.
    That's a great find, gasser. It ties in really well with an obituary I found for Harry Fox (I think in the Era in 1876) which said he left two daughters. A separate funeral report mentioned Miss Fox and Miss H. Fox. Now that you've found an estimate of Rose's age, everything does seem to point to her real name being Ellen.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    1881 Census RG11 530 23 39

As Transcribed

Monie, Hubert J, Head Lodger, Widower, 38, Agent, b. London
    Hadock, Rhoda, Servant, Single, 23, Servant General, b. London
    Fleming, Emily, Boarder, Single, 26, Dressmaker, b. Sheffield
    Monie, Spencer, Son, Single, 2, b. England
    Fleming, Maude, Boarder, Single, 1, b. England
    Address 73 St George's Rd, St George the Martyr, Southwark
    Another great find, helachau: well done! I don't know how you managed that when their names are all so garbled. But now I am really confused!!! We know, or thought we knew, from his birth certificate that (Gerald) Spencer Morice was son of Hubert Jay Morice and Emily Fleming. From this census it looks as if Maude Fleming (who is presumably a.k.a. Maude Rhoda Didcott!) belongs to Emily, who isn't married to H.J. Morice. But why is Spencer given the surname Morice when Maude isn't? This census also casts doubt on what is claimed online about Maudi Darrell being the daughter of Rose Fox, unless Emily Fleming is a very heavily disguised Rose (a.k.a. Ellen).

I think I will have to sleep on this one. Perhaps it will be clearer in the morning?!? What I will try to do tomorrow is to summarise what we've got so far. I think there are even more questions than answers now (not least the matter of who is Gerald Spencer Morice's young stepmother on the 1901 census). A quite fiendishly complicated family, so it has been great fun trying to unravel the connections.

Thanks to everyone who has joined in the hunt.

gasser

1871: (sorry didn't take note of reference)
    Alexander Road Hampstead
    Herbert Jay Morice 1843 Accountant born London
    Emily M Morice 1841 wife born London
    Violet S Morice dtr aged 4 born London
    Gilbert V B Morice aged 10mths born London

In 1881 he says he is a widower (oh yeah!!) but his wife and family are with her family James and Isabella Merryweather at 25 Brook Street, London.
    Last edited by gasser; 24-05-2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by gasser View Post
    1871: (sorry didn't take note of reference)
    Alexander Road Hampstead
    Herbert Jay Morice 1843 Accountant born London
    Emily M Morice 1841 wife born London
    Violet S Morice dtr aged 4 born London
    Gilbert V B Morice aged 10mths born London
    RG10/198 Folio 59 Page 5
    (record held by TNA, Crown Copyright)

Gasser, please take note of a reference because I have had to go and find it for you and I would much rather spend my time chasing this "quite fiendishly complicated family"

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for all the help so far. Hubert Tay Morice (Hugh Jay Didcott) was married to Emily Mary Merryweather on 6th Jun 1865. I think they divorced in 1872, I did at search at The National Archives, but cannot download the documents on line.

He had 2 children with this wife, Violet Lota Morice (Q1 1867 St Giles) and Gilbert Vivian Brian Morice (Q3 1870 Hampstead). She moved back in with her parents when the marriage ended. She was born on 5th January 1840 in Kensington, London, her parents were James and Isabella Merryweather. Interestingly I am sure that the marriage certificate between her and Hubert said he was a widower. So he had another wife before 1865, but in what name he married I have no idea.

I am very glad of all help. I have being trying to help this lady find out about her english ancestry with great difficulty and now can see why I could not find out much about Hubert Jay Morice, or a birth certificate for him. She was born in South Africa in 1928, her father Gerald Spencer Morice never talked to her about his family in England, I wonder why!!!!

Thank you

gasser

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    RG10/198 Folio 59 Page 5
    (record held by TNA, Crown Copyright)

Gasser, please take note of a reference because I have had to go and find it for you and I would much rather spend my time chasing this "quite fiendishly complicated family"
    Apologies for the oversight.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post

Seems to be also registered as Maude Rhoda Flemming (free bmd)

Fascinating thread - and many congratulations to all for your discoveries!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast