Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

The Times January 15 1895 and another appearance in Court in which he states
    "I was an accountant 30 years ago. Then a comedian. I cannot say if I ever lived in Gower Street. I acted as an accountant in Regent Street. I went to Southampton street as an accountant and arbitrator. I have been bankrupt twice. Maurice is my real name. Didcott is a theatrical name. Before I took the name of Maurice I had the name of Josephs. I think my father's name was John Judah or Judah John. I do not know which. I never passed as Murray".

Confused?

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Before I took the name of Maurice I had the name of Josephs. I think my father's name was John Judah or Judah John. I do not know which. I never passed as Murray".

Confused?
    Too right! How many different names did he have? And how many different wives and mistresses???:

Here's a report of a libel case brought by Hugh Jay Didcott (of York-road, Lambeth) against the editor of the 'Pelican'. From Reynolds's Newspaper, 27 May 1894. These are just some of the highlights of a long report:

Mr Didcott 'said he had been a music-hall agent for the best part of a quarter of a century, during a great portion of the time in York-road. He was sometimes known by the nickname of Mr. York Road. In the course of business a lady came to him about July or August, 1887. He obtained her engagements, and about 1891 she came to live with him as his wife, living with him till December 1893. He took a house near Gordon-square, furnishing it at his own expense, but taking it in the lady's name...'

'....said he had been known as Maurice Joseph, Hubert Jay Maurice, and Hubert Jay Didcott. His real name was Maurice Joseph, and his father's name was Jude Joseph.'

'....Mr Gill: Then we will try your different marriages. You were married in 1863 in the name of Maurice Joseph?--Complainant hesitated.
    Come, Mr. Didcott, you must remember something. (A laugh.) --I will answer you if you will give me time.
    But you were not married every day, were you? (Laughter.)
    The Complainant then replied that he was married again in 1865, and was divorced in 1888 on the ground of cruelty and adultery. He was not aware that the charges against him were that he had horsewhipped his wife and given her jewellery to the lady he was living with.
    He had lived with a lady in Stamford-street, but it was not necessary to mention her name any more than it was necessary to mention the name of the lady in the present case. He was again married in 1888....'

Later, on being cross-questioned, he said 'his two last wives were still living.'

Coromandel,
    The same bankruptcy procedings are reported in the Times. These articles make fascinating reading.

Another Times item gives his name as Maurice Joseph

Starting to feel at home

Wow thank you for all this information. I think a trip to Colindale is called for. I wondered why I could not help her find out about her Grandfather, and now I know why, makes my own family tree seem rather dull! I can feel a skelton in the cupboard story for the local FHS magazine.

Coromandel

One possibility for Maudi's birth (if she was a little older than we thought):

Maude Rhoda Didcott, birth registered in the first quarter of 1880, Lambeth district

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    One possibility for Maudi's birth (if she was a little older than we thought):

Maude Rhoda Didcott, birth registered in the first quarter of 1880, Lambeth district
    So far I've had no luck finding anything else about Maude Rhoda Didcott. Indeed, the whole family seems pretty elusive on censuses.

I can't find Hubert/Hugh in 1881, but this looks like his (former?) wife Emily, with two children:

James Merryweather, head, married, 68, surgeon practicing as a dentist
    Isabella M. Merryweather, wife, married, 65
    Emiley M. Morice, daughter, married, 41
    Violet S. Morice, grand dau., 14
    Gilbert Morice, grandson, 10
    (all born London) plus butler,cook and housemaid were at 25 Brook Street, London (RG 11/94, f.5, p.3)

Gilbert (later called Gilbert Didcott) was at one point in partnership with his father H.J. Didcott: somewhere in my wanderings online I came across an announcement of the dissolution of their partnership (maybe in the London Gazette?). I've also seen a reference to H.J. Didcott having another daughter who was also an actress, with stage name "Violet Raye", so perhaps this was the Violet Morice shown above.

I haven't yet been able to find Gerald Morice, who would have been about 3 years old in 1881, nor the above Maude Rhoda Didcott (who should be around in 1881 too). It would be interesting to get the birth certificate for Maude to see what it says about her parentage. Was she the daughter of skipping-rope dancer Rose Fox? (And what was Rose's real name?). Rose is supposed to have been buried in Brighton in 1889: see quote somewhere above from The Era, which says she had two children. Interestingly, 12 year old Gerald Didcott was in Brighton at the time of the 1891 census, as a pupil at the grammar school there (RG 12/811, f.58). But where is Maude?

My only sighting of Hugh J. Didcott is in 1891 . . . when he is listed as an 49 year old dramatic agent, born London, living at 87 York Road, Lambeth. He is shown as married . . . but there is no wife with him. He does have a 'housekeeper', who curiously has the surname Fox. Is this just a coincidence? She is one Ellen Fox, aged 60, born Huddersfield. She is also shown as married, but no sign of any Mr Fox (RG 12/389, f.40, p.7).

Census returns Crown copyright, in care of TNA

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Was Maudi Darrell the sister of a Gerald Spencer Morice born 8th July 1878 in Southwark, London?
    His parents were Hubert Tay Morice and Emily Mary Fleming.
    Now for some wild speculation...

Since everybody in this story seems to have more than one name, I am beginning to wonder if Emily Mary Fleming and Rose Fox might be the same person. Look at the date of Gerald's birth. With that in mind, it is interesting to look at Miss Rose Fox's appearances:

She is mentioned regularly in The Era until 12 May 1878 when there is this advertisement:

'Miss Rose Fox, and her Troupe of Belles Blondes. In consequence of this lady's indisposition, E. Villiers Esq., of the Canterbury, has kindly released her from her Engagement at that Establishment...'

A few months later, she makes a comeback:
    The Era, 6 October 1878
    'Miss Rose Fox, finding it impossible to answer the innumerable letters from Friends received during her late indisposition, takes this opportunity of thanking them for their kind inquiries, and is happy to say that she is now quite convalescent, and with her Troupe of Belles Blondes will shortly resume her professional duties. Miss Rose Fox, with her Troupe of accomplished Young Ladies, will appear Christmas next at the Theatre Royal, Birmingham, having been Specially Engaged by Mercer Simpson Esq. Addresss, Mr Hugh J. Didcott.'

Then there are regular advertisements for her performances until June 1879. Then (apart from one mention in Dec 1881) there is nothing until The Era, 9 Dec 1882, which announced that Miss Rose Fox 'will make her reappearance after a retirement extending over two years.' This 'retirement' would cover the time when Maud(e) was probably born.

Perhaps by investigating the question "Who was Miss Rose Fox?" we might make some progress.

Mutley

A Miss Maude Darrell born 1883 arrived from Buenos Aires on the Aragon at Southampton 2 Sept 1905.
    It does not say if she was travelling with any of the other passengers.

gasser

I have been following this thread with interest and would like to applaud coromandel for the information she has gathered

Perhaps by investigating the question "Who was Miss Rose Fox?" we might make some progress.

I found reference to Rose Fox aged 11 in a publication dated Nov 11 1866 after appearing at the Victoria Music Hall, Brierley Hill (from British Newspapers online -sorry, I forgot to make note of the publication - possibly the Era?) It says ....."Rose Fox, only eleven years of age, is really one of the more fascinating and pleasing serio- comics, singers and dancers it has been our lot to see" This gives a birth date of c. 1855/6
    Searching her name reveals she is the daughter of Harry Fox, comedian/singer and chairma of the Middlesex Music Hall aka the Mo. I looked on the 1871 census and found;
    Henry Fox aged 54 occ. Comedian born City of Westminster
    Mary Ann aged 45 wife born London
    Ellen daughter aged 15 (right age for 'Rose') born London
    Harriet daughter aged 12 born London
    They were living at Hunters Buildings, Lambeth.

There is a marriage for Henry Fox and Mary Ann Ealett at Westminster vol 1a pg 375.
    There is a birth for Ellen Fox Sep qtr Kensington 1a pg 32

I hope this small contribution helps answer the question posed by coromandel
    Last edited by gasser; 24-05-2011 at 8:55 AM. Reason: spelling

gasser

Further info:
    1881 census.......
    Ellen M. FOX Head U Female 25 Lambeth Ballet Dancer
    Harriett E. FOX Sister U Female 22 Lambeth Ballet Dancer
    Ann R. LENSCOTT Border U Female 21 Fields, Lincoln, Ballet Dancer
    Dwelling 55 Lambeth Rd RG11 0589 / 86
    no children recorded at address

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast