chopendoz

Default Miners Accident Hospital

On the 1881 Census there is an Alexander POTTER 16, a 'driver in iron mines', born Middlesbrough, a patient at the Miner's Accident Hospital, Guisbrough, Yorks. He is not mentioned on the Mining Disasters Index. I am wondering how he got to be a patient there - and if he survived.
    Can anyone enlighten me?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

If your Alexanders Parents were Thomas & Christiana, sibs James & Aquila, there are two trees on Ancestry with these two names. No Alexander tho' perhaps he did die or left UK? Haven't found him in 1891 but a miss-spelling may be holdingthat up.

Re hospital, he may have been there for reasons other than a mining disaster, but which may still have been fatal. ie an injury which ended terminally, appendicitis, disease or other.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Lizzy9

Hi,

There is a possible marriage for Alexander.

Middlesbrough Oct-Dec 1884, Alexander Potter two brides indexed: Sarah Shann and Lillie Wiltshire. 9d/1012

sjones6262

Quote Originally Posted by chopendoz View Post
    On the 1881 Census there is an Alexander POTTER 16, a 'driver in iron mines', born Middlesbrough, a patient at the Miner's Accident Hospital, Guisbrough, Yorks. He is not mentioned on the Mining Disasters Index. I am wondering how he got to be a patient there - and if he survived.
    Can anyone enlighten me?
    yes he did survive, in 1885 he went to Australia and was married to Lillie and died in helensbugh nsw in 1952, he was also a mine deputy in Australia. Many of his brothers and sisters went to Australia, including my great grandfather his brother George. Hope that helps.