Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Peterjay123

Default John North in York Gaol

Hi, I came across this interesting (to me) nugget, is there any way I can get more info ?

London Gazette 10th July 1855 No 21743
    p. 2686 Court for Relief of Insolvent Debtors Saturday 7th July 1855
    Orders vesting in the Provisional Assignee the Estates and Effects of the following Persons
    On their own Petitions
    John North, late of the Guildhall Tavern, Shambles, New Market Huddersfield, Licenced Retailer of Beer - In the Gaol of York

Many thanks,
    Peter

Peterjay123

Whoops, I think I should have put this in the 'Courts' section, I'll re-post.
    Peter

Mutley

It may help to read this National Archives Guide
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...-1710-1869.htm

Mutley

Don't post another thread please.
    Two threads on the same subject create duplication of effort by the members.
    I will move it for you.

Moderators Note:
    I was too late and you had already created another thread.
    I have deleted that thread.

Peterjay123

Sorry Mutley,
    Peter

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Peterjay123 View Post
    Sorry Mutley,
    Peter
    That's OK, I'll forgive you.

Good Luck

Brick wall demolition expert!

I know this doesn't relate specifically to your query, but in case you don't have this...

HUDDERSFIELD POLICE COURT
    Tuesday, January 21
    (Before Joseph Armitage and W. W. Battye, Esqs.)
    BEERHOUSE CONVICTION. -- John North, the landlord of the Guildhall Tavern, was charged with keeping his house open for the sale of beer after 11 o'clock at night, contrary to the provisions of his license. Inspector Brier said, on Tuesday night, the 16th instant, shortly after 11 o'clock, he heard a considerable noise in the defendant's house, and accompanied by Policeman Hollingrake, he went in. They found nothing in the lower rooms, but on proceeding up stairs they found in one of the rooms about seventeen persons, male and female, drinking. The defendant pleaded that the room was let off by the week to the Theatre people, and was entirely private. On that evening they were having a supper, but he had not filled them any ale later than twenty minutes to eleven. The bench were satisfied that the case was proved, and fined the defendant 5s. and expenses.

The Huddersfield Chronicle and West Yorkshire Advertiser, Saturday, January 25, 1851

I came across a few other snippets relating to him, (mostly to do with various ways in which he contravened his license.) I can post these if you don't already have them.
    Still searching for any other mention of him in the newspapers for 1855 apart from the report you found in the Gazette. If he was in York gaol in 1855, then he was out by September 1856, since he was fined for allowing gambling in his beerhouse.

Peterjay123

Hi Olliecat, nice bit of sleuthing, and yes I would love to see any other snippets you may have. This is certainly giving me an insight into his life.
    I look forward to hearing some more of your findings,
    Many thanks,
    Peter

Brick wall demolition expert!

A couple more snippets for you (in order of date)

AN OLD OFFENDER. -- Mary Bottomley, a well known and disreputable character, was charged with stealing a table knife, the property of Mr. John North, the landlord of the Guildhall Tavern, on Tuesday night last. The prisoner went into the house in company with a man, and after being treated with some beefstake by one of the customers, she left the house, taking the knife with her. Information was given to Mr. Superintendent Thomas, by whom she was taken into custody the same night, at the Telegraph beerhouse in Kirkgate. In the meantime she had sold the knife for a penny to another woman. Committed to Wakefield to take her trial at the sessions.

The Huddersfield Chronicle and West Yorkshire Advertiser, Saturday, May 03, 1851; pg. 7

ALLEGED OFFENCE AGAINST THE BEERHOUSE ACT. -- John North, the landlord of the Guildhall Tavern beerhouse, Victoria-street, was summoned for keeping his house open at an improper hour. Mr Hellawell appeared for the defendant. The information was laid by Inspector Brier, who stated that between twelve and one o'clock p.m. on Sunday, the 28th ultimo, he received information that there was company at the defendant's and on proceeding to the house he knocked for admission. After some delay the door was opened, when he found five men and two women in the tap-room. There was a glass on the table, one on the mantle-piece, and one behind the men, all of which appeared to have been recently emptied. In answer to his enquiries he was told that the parties were lodgers. Policeman Partridge was called in corroboration. The witnesses were cross-examined as to whether the parties found in the house were not lodgers, and not being able to prove the contrary the case was discharged.

The Huddersfield Chronicle and West Yorkshire Advertiser, Saturday, January 10, 1852; pg. 5

Will post a couple more in a mo.

Peterjay123

Thanks Olliecat, keep 'em coming.
    How do you find these ?
    Many thanks,
    Peter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast