Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Degan

Default New(ish) Version of FamilySearch

Does everyone like this new version, or is it just me that has trouble?

Even with the advanced search option I seem to get loads of results that I don't want. For instance I might want a birth/baptism record and amongst some baptisms I get census from various years. I have a subscription to FMP so don't need familysearch for census but I tried a search for someone and there doesn't seem a way of putting a year of birth, so if you have a common name there are tons of results.

Is this filter that they have added recently supposed to help?

On the IGI with a batch number you can find siblings by using a surname and a range of years, but how do you do that with this version?

It's probably me that is not using it correctly and I would appreciate any tips that might make searching easier.

Thanks in advance
    Degan

On the plus side I have found original images of some American census which was a bonus.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I agree and have seen a number of similar comments on other sites. The lack of filters seems to be the main gripe but I am also seeing nonsensical results in some searches too. I have used the feedback link to comment on this whenever appropriate.

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Sibling search works when you specify exact match for location,surname and years.Some filters seem pointless,particularly location where you are restricted to Europe instead of an English county.
    Feedback report is worth completing as they wont know what complaints we have otherwise.

mags68

All of the above, when it can be bothered to work!

Desperate Dan

I must agree with the above comments, and I have heard similar at my local F/History Society.
    I wondered though if the main purpose of the site could be a little different to the use that we make of it. The Church of LDS have got their own reasons for recording everybody and I guess that it was designed primarily with their purposes in mind...?

Just a thought...

Degan

Thanks all for your input - I hesitated to send any comments on feedback as I thought it was me using the site wrongly. I do take your point Desperate Dan and we perhaps should just be glad the information is there! I may send a suggestion about putting some extra boxes in the search options to reduce the number of results.

Degan

mags68

I can tell you why they record everyone, as my sister is a Mormon.
    They like to keep records of their own family tree, for a start.
    BUT also , this is their primary Goal , They Baptise the dead into their own church ( The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Mormons) as their believe their Church is the one true church , so everyone they find & recorded is Baptised .

Mary Young

The "old" version of familysearch seems to be continually under Web Maintenance and unavailable. I am utterly and completely lost with the new site :-) All I need is access to the IGI for Scotland, particularly the ability to find children by entering the parents' names and county of birth - grateful for any help and advice - the Help Videos on-site are all gloss and no substance.

v.wells

I find the "new" family search site woefully useless, compared to the previous version. The "old" search used to be available but now not and it is definitely not user friendly.

Colin Moretti

It takes a little getting used to but they have some very good stuff there. Note that they have a lot of parish register images and some others too, and they are regularly adding to collection.

I find it best to go via by Browse by Location, Europe, then United Kingdom, I can then select the record set I want in the RH pane.

I rather like their interactive map of England, https://maps.familysearch.org/, alternatively click Learn, then Research Wiki and search for "England Jurisdictions 1851". Start by double clicking on the county of interest, you can then zoom down to parish level, list contiguous parishes, those within a specified radius, relevant registration district, probate court, diocese, hundred, etc. You can also overlay on an OS map from 1851 (click Layers on the LH pane)

Colin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast