Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by jac65 View Post
    The mistake many people are making is that they are doing their searching on the first page which means that they are searching hundreds of databases so naturally you are going to get results from all the databases. What you should do is to go to the specific database you want and then search. This way you only get results from that database. In the old IGI Familysearch you went to the IGI (ignoring databases such as Census) then narrowed it down by selecting British Isles, then the Country, then the County.

Andy
    This seems to be a re-occurring theme even if you are specific. There appears to be no link to the"old" search data bases either. It makes it tedious when names are not in alphabetical order and not country specific, even when you have specified which country under "advanced search".

DorothySandra

If you Google "Family Search" rather than using your shortcut, you can get all the options including the old forms. I landed on it by accident, but it has its uses.

Sedgepea

There seems to be a lot of complaints about the new program but I must say that the new South African records are amazing. I would just like to say a big thank you to all the folk that put so much hard work into the transcription of the records. Sedgepea

Mary Young

My thanks to everyone who responded to my plea for help. First I should say, I wasn't meaning to complain about the new version of familysearch - after all, it's a wonderful resource and free to all. I was just frustrated by my own inability understand the layout, and to do what used to be so easy. Using various tips here, especially going through the geographical listing at the left-hand side, I have bookmarked a separate search page for each of the Scottish databases (there are only two!). It seems impossible to save pages with all the search options open, but I can live with that - just grateful to have access to the IGI without travelling to my City Library. I would love to visit the Family History Centre in my area, but unfortunately I'm not free when they are open.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123