Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Julie.Spavins

Having been to my local Family History Centre to view microfilms, have you considered visiting them and asking for a lesson in how to use the system?

The Assistants at the Stevenage LDS Centre were very very helpful and kind, they even said I could go anytime to use their systems on site for free - not practical though as I work full time.

While I was there one of the assistants was helping a chap get started on his family tree, showing him from scratch (and for free) what to look for and how to use A*****y and the internet.

Just a thought for you all!

Julie

Yeates

There are days I think, “I am finally getting the hang of this new familysearch.” There are other times I get so frustrated with it, I close the site, saying to myself, “Forget it.”

I find their new search form and collection choices efficient. The quick-view option is useful for ease of copying info from the same screen instead of having to go back and forth from search “hit” to the record. I still have a dial-up modem and this feature is a great time-saver.

I seem better able to refine my searches. For example, I am currently viewing a microfilm at an LDS Centre for a village where I am related to a great number of people. To maximize the time I have to visit this Centre (their limiting schedule combined with mine,) I look at the batch # online first to know exactly what records and surnames I am looking for.

It would be ideal to search on a film number which does not seem possible. I search on a batch # limiting it to an event (birth, marriage, etc.) and a time range. This technique limited my search to 1,259 baptismal records from the 19,200 when searching for the entire batch #. (heh heh; a mere 1,259…). Caution: the batch # criterion only seems to occur on the home page search and not within the “refined search” box provided on the search-results page. Also, I thought at first the option did not work until realizing it wanted to be “clicked” a second time to bring up the text box.

I do agree with Desperate Dan's point and feel non-LDS members are guests. I appreciate any records offered and also feel a welcoming spirit when at a Centre viewing microfilms or asking for help.

WHAT I MISS the most:

--when viewing an 1881 census record in “quick-view”, it only gives information for that individual and not the entire household. True, clicking on the actual record takes one to the household. HOWEVER, in the old version, it was possible to scroll forward and backward through the 1881. Therefore, when finding a relevant household, I could peruse an entire village looking for geographical clues to families or a child that might be in-service in the next block. This was a powerful option revealing relationships among surnames within the neighbourhood.

What I use “with a grain of salt:”
    --I only use data attached to a parish register or official records. I have found personally-submitted data to be, at times, misleading and even erroneous. Such records provide clues for further research, but I do not list such as a source. This was true of the old version, also.

Familysearch allows one to search the old version. I’ve tried a couple of times but do not seem to get the same results I used to get. That is hard to believe and must be my imagination.

I remain grateful and patient as they hone the site,
    Yeates

Degan

I think they must have taken note of comments they've received because the search "form" is different again. I seem to be getting better at finding what I'm after, although I still get burials in Ohio etc when I've asked for a baptism in Yorkshire!

I do think there is different information on the old and new sites as I've got copies of old IGI entries that don't appear on the new site. I'd have expected it to be the other way round!
    Degan

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

If I had to pay for the privilege of using the site, then I would moan like hell. As it's it's free, I take what I can get.
    I don't have to register, I don't get adverts and pop ups. Nor bombarded with emails.

I'm really grateful it's there, in whatever form it is.

Steve.

Mutley

I have to admit that their information is second to none.
    The fact that it is free, is such a bonus.
    Their records pre 1837, well there is no other site that compares.

I just wish I could sort the blinking new search to find these gems.

I've just entered the name of an ancestor, all I can really do from the front screen,
    there are no fields for dates or places.
    Wound down all the places and ended up clicking on
    England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
    Then I found myself back at the front screen with empty fields.
    Start again. ~sigh~

RonOne

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I've just entered the name of an ancestor, all I can really do from the front screen,
    there are no fields for dates or places.
    On the main page: https://www.familysearch.org/ under the boxes for "Given name" and "Surname" are the links to enter more specific info.

Clicking on any of the links on the "Add an event:" line "Any", "Birth", "Marriage", "Residence", "Death" will allow you to enter a place name and year range.

To search using just the parents names leave the "Given name" and "Surname" blank, click the "Parents" link underneath and enter their names

Mutley

Thanks RonOne.

OK, I'll accept the title of 'twit of the month'

Mutley, read what the little blue links say (under the name fields) and click on them!
    A whole new world opens up.

(do we not have an ejit smiley?)

RonOne

If your initial search returns too many results (which most do) you can narrow them down using "Filter your results by" and "Refine your search" on the left-hand side.

Don't forget you can also search using wildcards * (shift+8 on my keyboard). Most of my Lindop lot get mistranscribed usually as Lindof, Lindon etc... so when searching for them I use the surname Lind*

Brian Turnbull

I agree with V Wells, and emailed them with my concerns. In the old site if you put in name and date + or - for baptisms or marriages for a particular parish that is what you got. I went through 30 pages of results yesterday in the new site, although I entered the persons name dates from and to and that I was after births/baptisms. I got marriages, burials births but not in alphabetical order and the county was completely ignored. Is this an "improvement" I don't think so!
    Brian

jac65

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Turnbull View Post
    I agree with V Wells, and emailed them with my concerns. In the old site if you put in name and date + or - for baptisms or marriages for a particular parish that is what you got. I went through 30 pages of results yesterday in the new site, although I entered the persons name dates from and to and that I was after births/baptisms. I got marriages, burials births but not in alphabetical order and the county was completely ignored. Is this an "improvement" I don't think so!
    Brian
    The mistake many people are making is that they are doing their searching on the first page which means that they are searching hundreds of databases so naturally you are going to get results from all the databases. What you should do is to go to the specific database you want and then search. This way you only get results from that database. In the old IGI Familysearch you went to the IGI (ignoring databases such as Census) then narrowed it down by selecting British Isles, then the Country, then the County.

Andy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast