peejayoz

Default Boyle from Newry c 1834

I am trying to find ancestors & relations of a Mary Boyle, she came to Australia as an orphan in 1844 with an Aunt & Uncle. She finished her education in Melbourne before marrying Thomas Matthews 1852, and then living in Tallangatt area of Victoria until she died in 1900.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Some idea of her birth year may help peejayoz. Even the names of the Aunt & Uncle could raise inferences.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

peejayoz

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    Some idea of her birth year may help peejayoz. Even the names of the Aunt & Uncle could raise inferences.
    Hi Wendy,
    I must be getting Age Enhanced! I believe she was born in 1834, I think she was of reasonable means, she was well educated. I have prints of letters she wrote later in life, she was no dill. I have not been able to trace her trip to Oz, seems a lot of children were listed as "accompanied by 1 child". Just to muddy the waters, we really do not know if she was Boyle, O'Boyle, or Boal ( with all the associated spellings) Even her wedding cert shows her as Marion O'Boyle. There are a lot of Boyles still in Newry, I am inclined to fly the kite with some of them!
    Thanks for your reply Wendy,
    Phil

I must be getting Age Enhanced!
    Aren't we all Phil, canyou tell where you have searched so far, just to prevent doubling up?

did she die in 1900 in Talangatta Vic? if so there is a there on Ancestry which may help.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

peejayoz

Hi, Wendy,
    Yes she did die in Tallangatta 1900, I have a lot of her life story from the time she arrived in Australia, nobody seems much about her before that. A report done by Tony Cocks (bac3 on Rootschat) on the Boys from Parkhurst Prison merged the info I had on her & Thomas Matthews (he was one of the exiles from Parkhurst), plus there is literature from Tallangatta Valley on the Matthews family and other pioneers of that area. Everything I have seen says that she was an orphan from Newry Ireland, born 1834.
    Problem is, she was named as Mary Boyle, Mary O'Boyle & Marion Boyle (wedding banns). She signed as Boyle, so I guess thats what she was! I only picked the way she signed in response to your message!

obbie

hi
    newry is in co down not co armagh .
    on rootsireland pay per view but search for free site .
    or ancestryireland pay per view but search for free site .
    births reg in down
    Boyle Mary 1831 da patrick
    Boyle Mary Ann 1831 da patrick
    Boyle Mary 1832 da arthur
    Boyle Mary 1832 da stephen
    Boyle Mary Ann 1836 da john
    Boyle Mary 1837 da owen
    Boyle Mary 1839 da owen
    deaths reg in down (not all deaths will have been recorded below is probaly COI)
    Patrick 1834
    Alice 1834 KILBRONEY
    Robert 1834 St MARY'S
    Catherine 1838 KILBRONEY
    Stephen 1839 St MARY'S
    Cecilia 1844 St MARY'S
    James 1844 St MARY'S
    Sarah 1844 St MARY'S

good news is no Mary O'Boyle or Marion Boyle births oboyle isnt a name on registers
    but mary ann could be marion i suppose .
    the births will cost 5 euros each on rootsireland site , if you hit the advanced button where you type in data you can buy all 7 births for 20 euros which if you can spare it might be a good idea , you could then use the parents names in the advanced button to see if they had any other children if they had more kids after 1844 (sailing) you can eliminate them from your list .
    i cant figure any other way of you whittling the list of births down .

might i ask her faith ?
    also her childrens names might give you a clue if you know her husbands parents names you might deduce her parents names from her remaining childrens .

Irish Naming Traditions / Patterns

This is intended to be just a general guideline. There may be many differences, depending upon faith .

Oldest son named after the Father’s father
    2nd son named after the Mother’s father
    3rd son named after the Father
    4th son named after the Father’s oldest brother
    Oldest daughter named after the Mother’s mother
    2nd daughter named after the Father’s mother
    3rd daughter named after the Mother
    4th daughter named after the Mother’s oldest sister

good luck in your research

peejayoz

Hi,
    Thanks for your help, I have been looking more into it, she was listed in the wedding banns as Marion Boyle, but she signed the marriage cert as Mary Boyle. she was born Catholic, her husband Thomas was C of E, married in Melbourne 1852. The 13 children were shared between the 2 faiths, and this has caused some researchers out here to only find half the children!
    Thomas was sent here on the Joseph Soames as an exile, he was from the Parkhurst Prison where they trained the boys, gave them a rough trade & sent them to Oz or NZ. The Governors papers report that "parents both dead, father was a soldier" and there is some mention of a brother (unnamed). I will surely buy those records, as you say it could be a good way to filter the results.
    I have sent an email to a Boyle in Newry, he is a journo & I hope he may have contacts with a family member with some ideas.
    Thanks for your help!
    Phil

Good luck with the Newry contact Phil. & with finding more Matthews children.
    Happy Families
    Wendy