Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Charles Guilfoyle-Seymour

I think this can be called a brickwall although it is a pretty specific area of brickness.

I know when Charles GUILFOYLE SEYMOUR was born. I know his parents and his siblings. I have his maternal grandparents and other ancestors going back to Amsterdam in 1797. I know all about his army career from the pension records. I do not have him on a single census because he was with his parents for in 1891, probably in Ireland. His mother and sister I have found on the 1901 but not him or his brother or the other two sisters.
    His parents are those bloomin' actors of mine.
    What I want to know is if he married - ever. If he had a family, if he moved to Ireland - basically what the heck happened to him after he left the army in 1914.
    He came out of the army in 1914 as unfit for war. I have his record, thanks to Ancestry.
    I have tried searching the catholic records on Ancestry - at least I searched for them - but as usual I cannot find anything
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    I know when Charles GUILFOYLE SEYMOUR was born. I know his parents and his siblings. ... I know all about his army career from the pension records. I do not have him on a single census because he was with his parents for in 1891, probably in Ireland. His mother and sister I have found on the 1901 but not him or his brother or the other two sisters.
    Would you be able to share some of this information with us?

No doubt it's all on the forums somewhere, but it might help newer members if you could also post the basic details here?

Richard1955

Hi Ladkyis
    Is this yours?
    This is Charles GUILFOYLE, son of Bessie NATHAN and Charles John GUILFOYLE-SEYMOUR. Charlie emigrated to USA in 1925. According to the Ellis Island website ..
    Also appears on google !

Jan1954

I have had a look at the ship's manifest for the "Virginia" and the Charles mentioned by Richard1955 appears as the 1st Steward. Other information is that he was engaged in November 1923 in Marseilles, was not being paid off when the ship docked, he was aged 35, English, 5'6" tall and weighed 145lb. The ship left Kingston, Jamaica on 9th January 1923 and docked in New York on 16th January 1924.

Any good?

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1955 View Post
    This is Charles GUILFOYLE, son of Bessie NATHAN and Charles John GUILFOYLE-SEYMOUR. Charlie emigrated to USA in 1925. According to the Ellis Island website ..
    The text Richard quoted is from
    https://
    freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gibbonfamily/guilfoyle.htm
    where there are photos of "Charlie" in Flushing, NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    The text Richard quoted is from
    https://
    freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gibbonfamily/guilfoyle.htm
    where there are photos of "Charlie" in Flushing, NY.
    I have a feeling that is Ladkyis' website

There is an entry in the 1938 Kelly's Directory of Liverpool
    GUILFOYLE, Chas. Seymour, window cleaner, 38 Warmington Rd 14 (presumably that means Liverpool 14)
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Ah, yes, that's the Uncle Charlie that we knew, we thought. But my aunty told us that he was really Daniel. I have all his paper work where he gave us his name as Charles John Daniel Guilfoyle - see how he incorporated his own name with his father's and his brother's? nifty. This false Charlie married a girl called Fani who was french, we think. I do have a marriage of a Charles GUILFOYLE in 1920 to a Fanny Robini but the father named on that certificate is Samuel - and that Charlie is too young. I think our Charlie married Fani in Marseilles which is where he said he was living when he reached the USA
    The real Charles Guilfoyle SEYMOUR joined the army in 1905 age 19 he was discharged as unfit for war in 1914. He uses his real name and both of the surnames of his father's stage name.
    I am trying to find out what happened to him after he left the army - with a shiny reputation as a very good boy, by the way. Perhaps trying to make up for his brother who is goodness knows where doing goodness knows what in 1914.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    I have a feeling that is Ladkyis' website

There is an entry in the 1938 Kelly's Directory of Liverpool
    GUILFOYLE, Chas. Seymour, window cleaner, 38 Warmington Rd 14 (presumably that means Liverpool 14)
    OH oh that looks good.
    The surnames were, apparently, interchangeable ~sigh~ his mother used both together and separately as well as her maiden name and I suspect that his father would have done had he lived any longer than he did.
    According to my aunty he - the real charlie - was a devout Catholic and when she wrote to him to ask if he was really Uncle Dan he sent her a really nasty letter telling her that she was never to contact him again because she was the spawn of the devil. His sister married my grandfather who was a protestant ~sigh~. The fact that all the children were brought up as Catholics obviously didn't count.
    This family makes my head spin. I love em all to bits but trying to nail 'em down is like trying to plait fog! I have another little go and then leave it for a while and then try to find another one of em. This time it is the real Charlie next time it will be his surprising sister Harriet.

Richard1955

Well the jigsaw could have any more pieces could it?
    Just need to find the lid of the box now!

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

I can't see the real Charles on any census except a probable sighting on the 1911 at a barracks in Quetta, India - if you search using Charles Guilfoyle (no other info) and in the county chose Overseas Military, he is the only one that comes up.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast