Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Could you post it via a Photobucket or Flickr link so that we could enlarge it and rotate it? Failing that, e-mail me a copy
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Can't remember how to I don't think

Photo of CGS address and presentation

nope so that's just the linky thing. I can't find the stickie with the 'structions how to do it!! but if you clickie you should go to photobucket and the picture
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    We sincerely trust you will be pleased with the selection we have made in our little offering for your acceptance, namely a time piece – that it mat serve not only as an ornament to your home, but to recall sometimes to your mind when sitting in the bosom of your family, in one of those moments as delightful as those who like yourself and the profession generally at this present time are compelled to be moving from town to town – and it is like an oasis in the desert to have a home such as yours in which you can fly out of noise and turmoil of the busy world and enjoy (when not compulsory) that cheerful and happy place, so graphically described in some professional advertisements as “Resting” the then perhaps the right of the dial of our little gift may serve to recall the many happy and pleasant hours and days we’ve passed in one another’s company in our frequent journeys to and fro
    This is a tribute to conclude in the words of the immortal Byron to Tom Moore
    (slightly altered) and wishing you every happiness and success as may say it

Our ??? in on the shore
    Our course upon the sea
    ?? Where'ere we go d????
    There's a double health to show

????? January 13th 1883

Clementine Parker Isabelle ???? Richard Fisher
    Anne ???? Ann N??? ???? M??? Charles B Sullivan
    Gloria Mustell Kevin DeWitt ???? ????
    Mary Herville ???? M??? Charles ????

The bits in Red are from my second go this time with a magnifying glass as well as making the image HUGE
    I've filled in some blanks and made a couple of changes in a slightly more maroon red. Will have a go at the names tomorrow when I am less cross-eyed!
    Sue Mackay

Now that makes more sense..... although, and this could just be my fanciful mind, it does make even more sense when spoken out loud and with a Dublin accent.

~thinks~
    It must be the acting gene at work in me

Many thanks Sue. It is very difficult because my new cousin says that while the thing is framed it has, in the past been allowed to get damp. I believe it was consigned to the "wash house" for many years.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.

Many thanks Sue. It is very difficult because my new cousin says that while the thing is framed it has, in the past been allowed to get damp. I believe it was consigned to the "wash house" for many years.
    Armed with the enhanced image you e-mailed to me I have worked out a bit more, but as you say the names are well and truly blurred and you'll probably only be sure if you can Google, or otherwise research, the members of Sullivan's Combination Company.

I did Google Byron's poem to Tom Moore and the first verse of that goes
    My boat is on the shore,
    And my bark is on the sea;
    But, before I go, Tom Moore,
    Here's a double health to thee!

Doesn't help me work out what he has changed boat to!

Here is my version of the whole thing as far as I can decipher it:

To Mr C Guilfoyle Seymour
    The Members of Mr Charles Sullivan’s Irish Combination Company

Dear Sir, We the Members of above Company wish to make a few remarks previous to presenting you with a more substantial recognition of our esteem, not only as a man, but, we believe,a sincere friend of us all. In the difficult and arduous position in which you are placed namely the dual one of “Acting and Stage Manager” we gladly express our unanimous appreciation of the excellent way in which you have fulfilled these onerous duties. An uninterrupted feeling of good fellowship has always prevailed in our ranks and this is not an empty boast as the experience of most of us is not a matter of “Days” “Weeks” or even months but with the majority of us many years and whether as Mr Sullivan’s Representative or in your own character as one of ourselves we cannot fail to acknowledge the uniform curtesy[sic] extended to all sides.
    We sincerely trust you will be pleased with the selection we have made in our little offering for your acceptance, namely a Time Piece – that it may serve not only as an ornament to your home, but to recall sometimes to your mind when sitting in the bosom of your family, in one of those moments so delightful to those who like yourself and the profession generally at this present time are compelled to be moving from town to town – and it is like an oasis in the desert to have a home such as yours in which you can fly out of noise and turmoil of the busy world and enjoy (when not compulsory) that cheerful and happy place, so graphically described in some professional advertisements as “Resting” - so then perhaps the right of the dial of our little gift may serve to recall the many happy and pleasant hours and days we’ve passed in one another’s company in our frequent journeys to and fro.
    Charles, to conclude in the words of the immortal Byron to Tom Moore
    (slightly altered) and wishing you every happiness and success, as many say so

Our ??? is on the shore
    Our course upon the sea
    But where'ere we go Seymour
    Here's a double health to thee

Paris? January 13th 1883

(signed)
    Clementina Parker
    Isabelle Daly
    Richard Fisher
    Anne Mason
    Ann Norman
    ???? Marshall
    Charles B Sullivan
    Gloria Winslade
    Warren DeWitt
    Adam ????
    Mary Herville
    ???? M???
    Charles M. ????
    Sue Mackay

Oh I love it! In my head I can hear the voices - my great grandfather included - and somehow I know what he sounds like. This is what family history is all about isn't it? finding names and dates is ok but discovering how other people felt about your ancestor is just the cream on the trifle.

Thank you for all the hard work Sue, it is really appreciated. I will copy and paste the final version into the family newsletter and get it out to all my cousins so they can know how our great grandfather was seen by his contemporaries

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Charlie and Fanni Guilfoyle

Ah, yes, that's the Uncle Charlie that we knew, we thought. But my aunty told us that he was really Daniel. I have all his paper work where he gave us his name as Charles John Daniel Guilfoyle - see how he incorporated his own name with his father's and his brother's? nifty. This false Charlie married a girl called Fani who was french, we think. I do have a marriage of a Charles GUILFOYLE in 1920 to a Fanny Robini but the father named on that certificate is Samuel - and that Charlie is too young. I think our Charlie married Fani in Marseilles which is where he said he was living when he reached the USA
    The real Charles Guilfoyle SEYMOUR joined the army in 1905 age 19 he was discharged as unfit for war in 1914. He uses his real name and both of the surnames of his father's stage name.
    I am trying to find out what happened to him after he left the army - with a shiny reputation as a very good boy, by the way. Perhaps trying to make up for his brother who is goodness knows where doing goodness knows what in 1914.
    Hello,
    If “your” Charlie married Fanni in Marseille then let me tell you that while I don’t remember Charlie, I do remember Fanni! She retired to Long Island, NY after having worked at Coty with Elaine Morandini (a friend) and my grandmother (Aimee Emery), wife of Silas Emery who departed Europe on the last Liberty ship, USS Exeter, from Portugal in 1941. My grandparents and their daughter (Clothilde, my mother) traveled from Paris, France by bicycle to St Raphael for a 3 month stay before continuing onto Portugal. I have been trying to find where Charlie and Fanni were laid to rest, in Nesconset I believe. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you,
    Francis Dusart
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 16-07-2020 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Telephone number removed

Thank you for providing extra information for Ladykis.

Sadly, Ladykis passed away recently. I know that she would have appreciated the contact. These threads all stay on the servers and will hopefully help someone else some day.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789