Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

That's him. I have confirmed that with his army record.

I wonder if he went to Ireland at some point, I suspect he was born there as was at least one of his siblings ~sigh~.
    I have this little memory tugging away that somewhere I either read that he sent his mother's scrap book to his sister or my Dad told me that his aunt Bessie told him that her brother had sent the scrap book from Ireland.
    He is the second most elusive of this generation of the family. The other one being his surprising sister Harriet who was born in 1881 and appears on the 1881 census for Scotland then the next time she is ten and is mentioned in a review of a play that her parents are in and then she pops up as a witness on the marriage certificate of my grandparents in 1905 and that's it! at least with the real Charlie I have ten years of army service even if he isn't on a census.

My thanks to everyone who has searched for my real Charlie, much appreciated. It gives me a bit more confidence too because when I can't find anything I assume that it is because I am absolutely pants at searching. When other people can't find anything it could mean that there is nothing to find - yet.
    It would be good to know when he died but if he died in Ireland I haven't a clue how to do that.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Just checking. Is the "right Charlie" we are looking for the Charles Seymour A. Gilfoyle (that spelling) whose birth was registered in Ormskirk RD, Lancashire in Sep qtr 1884 Vol 8b page 837?
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

Just been looking on the FamilySearch Beta site and found the following (don't know if you've seen them before)

Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes 1845-1958

Harriet Sarah GUILFOYLE
    Birth: Oct-Dec 1880 - Dublin South
    Registraton District: Dublin South
    Volume: 2
    Page: 667
    Digital Folder: 4193458

and

Ireland Births & Baptisms 1620-1881
    Harriet Sarah GUILFOGLE (sic)
    Birth: 24 November 1880 Dublin
    Residence: 1880 - Ireland
    Parents: John Guilfogle and Bessie Nathan Guilfogle

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    Just checking. Is the "right Charlie" we are looking for the Charles Seymour A. Gilfoyle (that spelling) whose birth was registered in Ormskirk RD, Lancashire in Sep qtr 1884 Vol 8b page 837?
    Sue, I saw that one and wondered if it is the "right Charlie" - that's what sent me off looking on FamilySearch - couldn't find him, but found Harriet instead.

I have a copy of harriet's birth record from Dublin. As soon as I found the family on the 1881 for Scotland I managed to find that on the Irish records. Quite proud of myself for that. I then found a reference to her appearing with her parents on stage when she was 12. I had a 24 hour access to "the Stage" and down loaded hundreds of advertisements and reviews all about my actors and there was just one reference to Harriet.

@sue I am pretty sure that the Charlie Gilfoyle is not my real charlie. The only way to be sure is to send for the certificate and that will have to wait until after my pension goes into the bank (if you can call £23 a week a pension and not a joke).
    Once again thanks for all the help with my bloomin' actors.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.

I noticed on Charlie's Army records that one of the letters he wrote gave an address in Conway. The letter was dated 1914.

A Charles C S GUILFOYLE married a Mary C BREEN in 1914, Conway, Caernarvonshire and appear to have had a daughter in 1915. Could this be your Charlie, I wonder?

I have sent for this certificate - thank you Jellylegs once again for all your help - Wouldn't it be a hoot if I could trace a distant cousin who, perhaps doesn't even know we exist? Of course there is always the possibility that they won't want to know us, and who could blame them?
    I would be good to know about the real Charlie. I wonder what he thought of his family, not a lot according to my aunt.

Yay for Jellylegs!

I received the marriage certificate this morning, are you sitting comfortably? then I'll begin.

18th February 1914 the marriage took place at Our Lady of the Rosary, Penmaenmawr, according to the rites and ceremonies of the Roman Catholic Church, by certificate,
    Charles Cornelius Seymour Guilfoyle age 29, a batchelor who was employed as Town Postman, lived at Ivy-Dene, Mount Pleasant, Conway. The son of John Charles Seymour Guilfoyle (deceased), Theatrical Professional (this was where the cry of "Got him!" was heard echoing along our street)
    to
    Mary Catherine Breen age 34 years a spinster who lived at 10 Brynhyfryd Terrace, Conway, daughter of Maurice Francis Breen, a Farmer

I have no idea where the name Cornelius has come from, could my real great uncle charlie have added that for effect? or to make sure that no one ever mistook him for his lying, cheating brother who had stolen his identity? we'll never know unless the child of this marriage survived and had been told the story.

My thanks to Jellylegs for the fantastic detective work and to everyone who has contributed so far. I will add to this thread when I learn anything new.

So that's what I heard in Cardiff this morning
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Oh I'm so glad it wasn't wasted money on a certificate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    I wonder if he went to Ireland at some point, I suspect he was born there as was at least one of his siblings ~sigh~.
    I have this little memory tugging away that somewhere I either read that he sent his mother's scrap book to his sister or my Dad told me that his aunt Bessie told him that her brother had sent the scrap book from Ireland.

From the 1911 census, it looks as though Mary Catherine Breen was born in Ireland, so they could have gone there at some point.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast