meaden

Default Missing - Charles, Jane & Robert Graham

Hi All,
    This has stumped me since day one of my family research...see what you can make of it.

Charles Russell Graham, b 1828 - emigrated from Scotland and married Annie Manson in Melbourne Victoria, Australia in 1860. Annie went mad and died in the asylum, 1880.
    Charles remarried to Jane Piper in Melbourne 1889.
    Daughter of Annie and Charles, hung herself, 1895. Jane was a witness at Elizabeth's inquest.

Then Charles, Jane and oldest son Robert Charles Graham from marriage to Annie, all disappear.
    I cannot find them anywhere and wondered if they migrated out of Australia.

Younger son of Charles, John, stayed in Oz. He was my grandfather.

So what happened to my GGrandfather?
    Dig away!

Loves to help with queries

If you have any BDM certificates relating to these events can you please give all details.

Charles Russell Graham, b 1828....how do you know this, what are his parents names, brothers,sisters?.
    Charles Russell Graham emigrated from Scotland...when, how do you know this...any other family with him.

m. Annie Manson, Melbourne Victoria, Australia 1860...have you seen this certificate...religion/occupation/residence/witnesses
    what details for Annie......parents, age, residence.
    Annie went mad and died in the asylum, 1880.

Charles remarried to Jane Piper in Melbourne 1889....details for this marriage?. What age is Jane, is she a widow ie does she bring children to this marriage? Names for her parents?

Daughter of Annie and Charles, hung herself, 1895. Jane was a witness at Elizabeth's inquest.

Three children to children to Charles and Annie -
    Elizabeth.....died 1895
    Robert Charles...you are looking for him.
    John...your grandfather....what marriage details for him...when/where...have you seen this certificate.
    What birth details for these three?.

And you are looking for Charles, Jane and son Robert Charles.

And you have no other information at all.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

In the Presbyterian Rookwood cemetery, Sydney, NSW is a Charles Russell Graham of the right age, interred 17 Dec 1902, his parents in the NSW BDM index as Charles and Maggie. Death registered Balmain South. With him is buried Jane Graham, interred 20 Jun 1907, aged 79. Death registered Sydney 1908.
    ChristineR

meaden

Hi,
    Well, Charles Russell Graham's parents are Robert Graham and Agnes Russell. So Charles and Maggie are odd. But this looks like the one. I will get the certificate and see what it says....let you know when I get it. Thx!

Yes I have certificates for most of Charles' life and this family as they are very close to me. The suicide and madness in the family perhaps explained why my father knew NOTHING about his family until I started my research. I have visited where the family came from in Scotland and have been able to trace the family back into the 1700's. This has been one big frustration for a few years that I stopped looking.....

Thanks again for your input!

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

It isn't unusual for informants to get the parentage wrong, I've even known people to put their own parents and not those of the deceased. One fellow of mine didn't even give his mother's name when asked for his father's second wife! Got my fingers crossed for you, if your luck is really in, then maybe son Robert will be the informant!

About the madness? are you sure that Annie was mentally ill? as asylums were often used for people who needed physical care as well as mental.
    Last edited by ChristineR; 19-05-2011 at 8:07 AM. Reason: spelling
    ChristineR

meaden

It was him!!!! At last the mystery is solved...THANKS!!!!

I got the certificate today and the parents are incorrect but both wives and the children are listed.
    One final piece now...find his son Robert Charles Graham, B 1860 who went missing with them. At least I can start to look in NSW...I am so pleased as I have hunted this for ages.

Thanks again everyone,
    Julie

kermie62

Check the National archives site.

WW.naa.gov.au

There are a couple of Robert Charles Grahams there