Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

Question Thomas Rogers family Midsomer Norton

I have made some progress on a number of fronts for this family but have a couple of interesting problems

William born c1837 did not follow the family tradition of carpentry, coach building or blacksmithing but became a confectioner.
    He married Emma Shearn c1858 and they appear to have had a son Charles. Shortly after 1861 Emma died or moved on and William married Louisa ? a local girl b c1844 in Midsomer Norton. A daughter Annie was subsequently born. William died in 1881 and Louisa is shown as widow in the 1881 census. What I am having difficulty with is William's marriage to Louisa.

Frederick George Rogers, a younger brother was a blacksmith who also appeared to have had a couple of wives.
    He married Elizabeth Moon? of Corsley near Frome and practised his trade in Nunney. He then goes off the Census plot until 1901 when he appears as a Journeyman Blacksmith in Birley Leeds with a different wife and child. From the Census page it might appear that the daughter Ethel M Rogers was born in US of A.
    The second wife Alice looks as though she might have been born in Hoxne as far as I can decipher the script.
    The transcript shows Frederick as having been born in Mideman Norman, Somerset but on close inspection of the original it is clearly Midsomer Norton,the correct birthplace and his correct age.

Any suggestions as to a way forward on these two please or have I lost the plot again?

radstockjeff

Kevin Garrad

Midsomer Norton comes under the Clutton registration district.
    So these are possible deaths of Emma:

June qtr 1861
    Clutton district Vol 5c, page 439
    Rogers, Emma

September qtr 1864
    Clutton vol 5c, page 415

Annie, his daughter by Louisa, is shown in 1871 as being 9 years old.
    That would usually imply a marriage around 1861?
    But, like you, I can't seem to find it!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by radstockjeff View Post
    He married Emma Shearn c1858 and they appear to have had a son Charles. Shortly after 1861 Emma died or moved on ...
    There are christenings for two children of William and Emma at Midsomer Norton on FreeREG.

• Charles Henry ROGERS bap. 18 Jan 1860, born 02 Dec 1859
    • Emma Ann Shearne ROGERS bap. 05 Jun 1861, born 21 Apr 1861

This could be mother Emma's burial..

Emma ROGERS on 22 May 1861 at Midsomer Norton St John the Baptist. Age 23
    Est. year of birth: 1838

Thus it is feasible that the daughter Ann in the 1871 census is the Emma Ann above.

Edit: Just noticed that Charles Henry Rogers is staying with his grandparents in 1871 and 1881.
    Last edited by olliecat; 09-05-2011 at 2:29 PM. Reason: added last line

Frederick George Rogers, a younger brother was a blacksmith who also appeared to have had a couple of wives.
    He married Elizabeth Moon? of Corsley near Frome and practised his trade in Nunney.
    Could Elizabeth's maiden name be MINTY?

Marriages Jun 1867 Westbury, W. 5a 211
    MINTY Elizabeth
    Rogers Frederick George

Looking at the 1871 and 1881 census of Frederick Rogers with his wife Elizabeth and children, it looks like their first child Ernest was born about 1868. Listed on the Bath BMD are the births of Ernest George Rogers in 1868, Alice Lucy Rogers in 1870 and Lily Rogers in 1873, registered in the sub-district of Midsomer Norton. Maiden name of the mum is Minty.

Note: In the 1881 census, Elizabeth states she was Chapmanslade (which is less than a mile from Corsley in Wiltshire.) There is an Elizabeth Minty in the 1861 census, born in Chapmanslade, Wiltshire. 1861: RG09 /294 / f119 / p8 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)

He then goes off the Census plot until 1901 when he appears as a Journeyman Blacksmith in Birley Leeds with a different wife and child. From the Census page it might appear that the daughter Ethel M Rogers was born in US of A.
    I haven't got much further with Frederick George Rogers between 1881 and 1901 I'm afraid. You may want to view Frederick in the 1911 census. This may give you a little more on Ethel - who may not be his daughter.

1911: RG14/26266 SN53

Thank you to the respondents so far. These have helped me to clarify a number of issues and to push the work forward a little more.

radstockjeff

Update!
    Thanks to the various leads suggested by forum members I think I now have an almost complete picture of the Willaim Rogers situation.
    Apprenticed to Mr Somers a biscuit baker 1851 in Midsomer Norton
    Married Emma Shearn 1858. Two children Charles Henry Rogers (subsequently lived with his grandfather Edward Shearn and learned his trade - carpenter
    Emma Ann Shearne Rogers (1861)
    Wife Emma died 1861
    William married Louisa Ann Boulton 1862 in Cardiff although she was the daughter of his neighbour John Boulton, a cordwainer.in Midsomer Norton
    She helped in the family business of wholesale bakers/confectioners until William's death in 1881.

Louisa Ann Rogers then married Edward Maggs (1884) and he died three years later.
    In 1891 Louisa Ann Maggs lived in Kinsgsmead Terace Bath as a boarder and also in the house was her cousin Isabel Jackson Boulton.

By 1901 Louisa Ann was a pauper in the Bath Union Workhouse where she died in 1909 aged 65.

I am still looking for details of the other brother Frederick George Rogers who went off the radar between 1881 and 1901.

radstockjeff

Paul Rogers

Hi Jeff,

I just picked you up on a browse. My great,great-grandfather is Frederick George Rogers. I have written a history of the Rogers I am related to. It goes back to Nicholas Rogers, a tailor, in Clutton who was born about 1600. I you would like a copy please send me your e-mail address.

Paul Rogers

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Nicholas ROGERS born c. 1600 in Clutton

I am very interested in learning more about Nicholas ROGERS (b. around 1600) who I think may be my g(x7) grandfather. I've just found an old post (by Paul Rogers I think) which states that Nicholas ROGERS was a tailor born in Clutton which I knows where my antecedents hail from. I've got solid evidence of the ROGERS clan in Clutton back as far as John ROGERS (b 1708). But prior to him I've speculated that his father was George (b 1665), George's father was Nicholas (b 1638), and Nicholas's father was also Nicholas (b 1595).

If anyone can shed any light on the 17th century ROGERS's in Clutton I'd be hugely interested.

Thanks in anticipation of some interesting replies !