Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Narelle

Default Charles Moore in Donegal

I am researching Charles Moore who married Margaret/Mary Robinson c 1898 in Donegal. They appear in the 1901 Irish census with their daughter Isabella aged 1 year.

By 1911 Margaret is married to an Andrew Stafford and all her children to Charles are stated as step children to Andrew. The children are :
    Isabella aged 11
    John William aged 10
    Charles aged 8
    Frances Anne J aged 7
    Violet Margaret aged 5
    Andrew aged 3

Charles is believed to have died in an unmarked grave c 1907/08.
    Is there any way I can locate online death records for Donegal around this time? I have checked the IGI ancestry, genuki, but nothing so far. Are there any Irish newspapers online? I live in Australia so am unable to visit any repositories locally.
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Kindest regards
    Narelle

Famous for offering help & advice

Have you been able to discount the death of Charles Moore age 30 jan - mar 1907 in Letterkenny? (from family search)

obbie

hi
    that death would seem a good bet
    Charles Moore Letterkenny deaths Jan - Mar 1907 Age at Death 30 (1877 ?) Volume 2 Page 126
    especially as
    Charles Moore wed Margaret Robinson letterkenny (donegal) marriages oct dec 1898 volume 2 page 127

if you go into (google) rootsireland.ie a pay per view but search for free site , register and go into co donegal (go down left column to countys) search just charles moore and you get list of BMD,s the 1907 death looks good . (should give parish church so you could ask someone to search ther burial records if they exist)

then click on marriage list , the 1898 marriage you can now enter the wifes name in advanced box and yes its there marriage cost 5 euros . you get a typed copy of whatever is in the church record .

now search for moore births just , enter charles as filter and you can hit advanced enter mothers surname
    isabella 1899 Ng 1901 frances ann 1904 andrew 1907
    entrys are typed out copys of usually church baptism
    please note its worth playing around with records before you decide to purchase try moor and nicknames for charles you may find more results you can purchase 1 record at a time for 5 euros or get all the kids births at discount price 12 ish ? .

charles birth 1877 ish , theres 1873 and 1888 he might not have been born in donegal though age can be out quite a few years in ireland at this time especially in country as age or birth dates wernt seen as important .
    if you buy marriage you should get fathers first name which will enable you to search this site also for charles birth .

i just looked at familysearch site again this jumped out to me anyhow . there are quite a few .
    google irish naming traditions for children . isabella is there first child john second .
    Charles Moor Birth 04 Dec 1871 Donegal, Ireland Father John Moor Mother's Isabella Elliott . seems to fit nicely
    possible birth place church hill donegal (ive never herd of it !)
    Charles Moor Letterkenny born 1871 Volume 17 Page 188

strange ! search for siblings and all you get is dates no first names sometimes you get 1 or 2 ?
    1 march 1864 moore
    13 april 1867 moore
    23 dec 1867 church hill
    17 april 1869 church hill
    8 aug 1870 church hill
    4 dec 1871 charles church hill

i do hope this is correct ! heres there marriage i think !
    John Moore and Isabella Elliott 06 Jan 1863 Marriage Place Gartan Donegal
    Groom's Father James Moore
    Bride's Father Stephen Elliott

John Moore and iasbella elliot (details match)
    Letterkenny marriages 1863 Volume 6 Page 559
    as catholic BMD records start 1864 pro 1845 we can assume couple pro
    so you may if this data proves true be able to go back another generation , ill not search now but if you buy some baptism deaths marriages certs from rootsireland and above prooves true ill search for you .

the certs you get from rootsireland are copys typed of church registers
    the event year district volume and page certs are the certs from someones birth marriage or death notified to the goverment
    google roscommon GRO for there address if you write to them give the data given event volume page and 4 euros for each cert you want these certs will differ from parish records
    you can order and pay by fax sounds a bit dodge but only way they accept credit cards .
    takes about a week 10 days in ireland so 2 weeks to oz !

good luck hope datas correct for you do let us know how you get on ill gladly help anyway i can Obbie

obbie

for got newspapers search irishnewsarchive .
    if there a poor family there will be no obits printed , if hes no gravestone id say poor ?

Narelle

Thank you so much Grisel and Obbie for your great help. I will look into all your suggestions. My knowledge of the locations of towns and counties in Ireland is limited but Letterkenny is looking very promising. I will check it out. Thanks also for the newspaper archive link too. I don't know the details but it seems that Charles somehow disgraced his family and they chose to bury him in a unmarked grave for his troubles when he died. I will let you know how I go.
    Kindest regards Narelle

obbie

https://
    freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/gartan/chhname.htm

search for your moore births there
    charles dad john Churchtown Gartan Donegal ? on 1901 census
    charles is Glenbeagh Gartan Donegal on 1901 census
    Roshin is the townland Conwal the parish charles born

https://www.logainm.ie/Viewer.aspx?tab=map top right corner into english search townland and parish
    https://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCA...llsSearch.aspx worth a look
    google osi.ie click into map of ireland enter parish
    https://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffi...tion/index.xml john moore is on griffiths val
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 09-05-2011 at 3:22 PM. Reason: direct link to site containing advertising

obbie

January 9 1863

January 6, at Gartan Church, by the Rev. H. Maturin, Rector of the Parish, MR. JOHN MOORE, of Carratrasus, to ISABELLA ELLIOTT, Gartan Glebe, youngest daughter of the late MR. STEPHEN ELLIOTT, of Ragory, Fannet

Obbie

Narelle

Hi Obbie,
    I am working through your info slowly and am interested in John Moore and Isabella Elliott being Charles parents. The family believe that Charles parents were James MOORE and Frances Ann STEWART. This doesn't fit with the usual naming conventions as their second daughter is said to be named after her father's mother. Maybe it is possible that Isabella is named after her mother's mother. I thought the convention was father's father, fathers's mother, mother's father mother's mother. Is that correct?
    Narelle

obbie

hi narelle
    as i say ive just joined data that may fit !
    you need to start off with isabellas birth
    her parents marriage , which gives fathers names and addresses
    charles birth , hopfully will be same parish
    charles parents marriage

buy one cert at a time either from roscommon if youve the patience to wait (about 5-10 days)
    or buy from rootsireland site for 5 euros each
    you can search same site for a charles born to other couple you mention .

if it was i id buy one cert at time and see what that leads to

this is there marriage as you can see charles father is john but when you put in isabella elliott no result , but maybe her name was misspelt or left out of record , so charles paps was john . youll just have to buy either marriage record to see address occupation and mothers name if supplied .
    Marriage Records for Co. Donegal
    Surname : moore
    First Name : charles
    Spouse's Surname : robinson
    Spouse's First Name : margaret
    Father's Surname: moore
    Father's First Name : john
    Mother's Surname:
    Mother's First Name :

when it comes to naming tradition , catholics used it a lot pro familys not so much and every family differed it was a tradition not a strict rule

play around with the rootsireland site esp the advanced buttons you can get lots of info for nothing without paying a penny .

goodluck

Famous for offering help & advice

If the 1907 death in Letterkenny turns out to be your Charles and if you are specifically interested in finding his burial place - I would start by considering St Columba's Church of Ireland in Gartan ( Charles was Cof I in 1901 census, Gartan) I don't know if their graveyard was being used in 1907. This is in Conwal parish. If he is not recorded in Gartan you may need to widen your search to cemeteries in Conwal or in Leck.

I've also come upon a useful site with free information called Donegal Genealogy Resources.
    The Charles Moore and Isabella Elliot already mentioned are there together with the 1871 birth in Gartan of a Chatrles Moore , Roshin Townland, Conwal parish, to John and Isabella.

Also can you tell us where the family got their information that Charles' parents were James Moore and Frances Ann Stewart?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast