Starting to feel at home

Default Help with a placename

I'm trying to confim the birthplace of Frankie Ball from an entry in the 1901 Wales Census.
    Class: RG13, Piece: 5045, Folio 38, Page 68
    It looks to me like Caerm. Kuaps so I assume it means Carmarthenshire but Kuaps doesn't seem to exist.

Any ideas?

glynisaddy

hi
    had a look and it definitely says caerm.kuaps,I agree that the caerm is carmarthenshire but can't help with the kuaps,your ancestor lived in nantymoel near bridgend glamorgan in 1901 and I've actually been there,its was a small mining town years ago but the mines have closed down now-sorry I couldn't help any further.
    glynis

There is a place called Knaps mentioned in connection with Martletwy in Carmarthenshire

See https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/PEM/Martletwy/

Edit: Silly me - it's actually in Pembrokeshire!

I still think it probably says Knap
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Reputation beyond repute

I haven't the faintest idea what it might mean but I would say that bearing in mind that the family were in the Bridgend RD in 1892/3 and in the Bridgend RD in 1901, there is a fighting chance that they were also in the Bridgend RD in 1894/5.

Births Sep 1895
    Ball Frank William Bridgend 11a 815

The birth certificate would be most reliable.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by SharonKef View Post
    It looks to me like Caerm. Kuaps so I assume it means Carmarthenshire but Kuaps doesn't seem to exist.
    Not so sure it is Carmarthenshire as the usual abreviation is Carms. rather than Caerm. and as your chap seems to have been in Nantymoel/Bridgend area I'm wondering if it might be something more local to round there. Could you possibly post the bit in question, or a link to it, so that those of us without subs could have a look?

Starting to feel at home

Did you manage to find a solution to this?

The enumerator for this ED uses Caermarthen for the county elsewhere, so I suspect Caerm. is an abbreviation for Carmarthenshire.
    "Cnap" (English: lump, knob, mass, mound etc.) is used in placenames in the county, e.g. Castell Pen-y-cnap, Llanegwad and Allt-y-Cnap Road, Johnstown.

I agree with Peter #4, the birth entry below seems to indicate that he was born in Bridgend RD, though:

Ball Frank William Bridgend 11a 815, Jul-Aug-Sep 1895

Did you manage to get this birth certificate?

(There is a Cnap Twt Quarry to the south of Bridgend.)

Have you checked the 1911 Census - can't post details but PoB quite clear.

Re the 1901 entry, did wonder if it might be Caerau - near Maesteg?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

Helachau, I don't think we can blame the enumerator this time! I checked the 1911 Census, and the family are living at 10 Ogmore Terrace, Nantymoel (Llandyfodwg).

Incredibly, though, Frank Ball (aged 15) is now recorded as being born in Nantymoel. So, I think it's best to ignore Knaps, wherever it is.

This reminds me of one of my mystery ancestors. I have found her in 4 censuses, where she is born in Llangadog CMN (1871), Ystradgynlais BRE (1881), Llangiwg GLA (1891) and Llandeilo CMN (1901). Fair play, Llandeilo, Llangadog and Llangiwg parishes meet at a point in Brynaman, and Cwmtwrch (Ystradgynlais) is only just over a mile away. But still, it would help if I knew where she really was born!

Pwyllfan,
    Certainly agree with you regards the "fluid nature" of the Llangadog, Ystradgynlais, Llangiwg and Llandeilo area and which County they apply to at different periods!! Struggled with these on more than one occasion.

The 1911 Census is quite clear - is he Frank William Ball, born Sep 1895, Bridgend, 11a 1895?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"