Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amlet

Default Help with a Broadley lookup.

A very happy Easter to all.

We began with Bradley without much success and are now on Broadley which seems more likely.

Mary Elizabeth Broadley born August 5 1857 in "Yorkshire" (somehow the ridings never seemed to have quite made it across the pond,) I think I may have found a close match for in free BMD, registered 1858 district Pocklington, Yorkshire -East Riding. The family emigrated to Canada in 1869.

I'm haven't an Ancestry subscription, could a member help with a lookup for any Broadley arrivals in Canada around that date?

Many thanks.
    Richard

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi Richard, just seen an offer for a free trial of Ancestrys' World Deluxe after finding a tree which has a Mary Elizabeth Broadley b. 4 Aug.1858 yorkshire .
    Death age 89 in 1948 at Little Lake, Windham township, Norfolk co.Ontario Canada. gives a contact for the owner.
    Names spouse as Edward Juru Cole 1858 -1952
    Son David Russell Cole. 1897 - 1947
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

This url:https://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/index.jsp
    will lead you to 1911 Canada census Norfolk to see Mary E Cole b.4 Aug. 1858 Yorkshire Eng. Arrival 1870.
    Husband Edward b. 1858 Quebec. + 6 children all French.

https://automatedgenealogy.com/census...sp?province=ON
    Features her Father Matthew Broadley age 74 b Yorkshire arrival 1869. & 8 G'Children.

OCFA Cemetery search results
    COLE, Mary (Broadly) Vanessa (Section A) Norfolk Windham NR-98-141
    COLE, Edward (h/o Mary Broadly) Vanessa (Section A) Norfolk Windham NR-98-141
    Happy Families
    Wendy

Amlet

Brilliant Waitabit and thanks so much . I'm sure this is the correct as I know Mary married Jeroux Cole. Notes from a family bible (not my family - I'm the one who has Thomas the foundling with two fathers ) have him down as Edward Jeroux born Jan. 16 1858 in Québec. His father died when he was three and his mother remarried a Mr. Cole. Mary Elizabeth and Jeroux had twelve children, were married 70years and Jeroux lived until he was 106! For his hundredth birthday one of his sons took him to a ball game where the whole stadium sang happy birthday.

Richard

Richard1955

And a Happy Easter to you Richard
    I am afraid you have another 6 options of Mary Broadley on the 1861 census.
    You will need to find the father's name to narrow that down unless you know exactly where she came from.
    Probably not yours but just in case: FMP has a migration of a Mary Broadley
    in 1905 Liverpool to Boston. Single and no age or occupation.

Good luck

Amlet

You are quite Richard and thank you for bringing this to my attention. I went at this in something of a roundabout way following Waitabit's leads. In the 1901 census Mary Elizabeth Cole has her father living with them. His name is Richard Broadley, born May 22, 1826. With this I can begin sifting through the BMD's. Most of the afternoon I spent tracking down their thirteen children.

There is an entry that said Mary Elizabeth was born 5 August 1857 in Grimethorpe, East-Yorkshire but there was no source mentioned so I'm treating this cautiously.

Oddly enough I can't find anything about their 1869 arrival in Canada.

I'm afraid I made whopping great error when I wrote that Edward (Edouard) and Mary celebrated their seventieth wedding anniversary and he lived to 106. It was one of their children. I came across a local newspaper with a fairly substantial write up including some interesting leads.

Good grief, it's past midnight here .....
    Richard (1944)

Richard, pease ezxcuse my incorrect naming of Matthew Broadley instead of Richard.

There is an entry that said Mary Elizabeth was born 5 August 1857 in Grimethorpe, East-Yorkshire but there was no source mentioned so I'm treating this cautiously.
    One 1861 census entry has a Richard Broadly a shepherdb. 1827 Kirbygrindale, Yorkshire, Wife Isabella 30 b.Burnby & dtr Mary E age 2 born c 1859. Also a sailor boarding with them,..James William of Ontario.

Seept. 1852 a Richard Broadley married Isabella Adamson at Pocklington 9d 115.

Sept. 1858 a birth registereed of a Mary Elizabeth Broadley at Pocklington. 9d 115 ( East Riding of Yorkshire)

Quite a bit of coincidental info there. If the correct Family I wonder where Isabella died?
    Happy Families
    Wendy

terrysfamily

I have managed to find these births in Windham, Norfolk, Ontario, Canada. As you have a family Bible you probably already have them but just in case….

The name Jeroux has been transcribed as Jeru and Jern. I was a bit sceptical of the name Jern until I saw that one of their children William b. 1880 had the surname Cole.

Name: George Edward Jeru Male
    Birth Date: 05 Feb 1878 Windham, Norfolk, Ontario
    Father Edward Jeru Mother Mary Broadley
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C01496-7 Source Film Number: 1845217 Reference Number: cn 19720 Collection: Canada Births and Baptisms, 1661-1959

Name: William Cole Male
    Birth Date: 02 Apr 1880 Windham, Norfolk, Ontario
    Name Note: last name changed from Jern
    Father Edward Jern Mother Mary E. Broadley
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C01636-4 Source Film Number: 1845399 Reference Number: item 3 p 99 Collection: Canada Births and Baptisms, 1661-1959

Name: Louis Lavime Jern Male
    Birth Date: 23 Sep 1882 Windham, Norfolk, Ontario
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C01660-0 Source Film Number: 1845581 Reference Number: 468 Collection: Canada Births and Baptisms, 1661-1959

Name: Mary Markham Jern Female
    Birth Date: 01 Jun 1884 Windham, Norfolk, Ontario
    Father Edward Jern Mother Mary Broadley
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C01552-9 Source Film Number: 1845869 Collection: Canada Births and Baptisms, 1661-1959

Name: John Jeru Male
    Birth Date: 11 May 1886 Windham, Norfolk, Ontario
    Father Edward Jeru Mother Mary. Broadley
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C02782-4 Source Film Number: 1845880 Reference Number: p389 reg023575 n41 Collection: Canada Births and Baptisms, 1661-1959

Name: Bertha Jern Female
    Birth Date: 28 Jul 1888 Norfolk, Norfolk, Ontario
    Father Edward Jeru Mother Mary. Broadley
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C01813-0 Source Film Number: 1845892 Collection: Canada Births and Baptisms, 1661-1959

Name: Nina Bell Jeru Female
    Birth Date: 23 May 1890 Windham Centre, Norfolk, Ontario
    Father Edward Jeru Mother Mary E. Broadley
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C01788-8 Source Film Number: 1846438 Reference Number: cn 022187 Collection: Canada Births and Baptisms, 1661-1959

Name: Andy Jern Male
    Birth Date: 06 Jul 1891 Windham Township, Norfolk, Ontario
    Father Edward Jern Mother Mary Elizabeth Bra...
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C01776-4 Source Film Number: 1846444 Reference Number: cn 27130 Collection: Canada Births and Baptisms, 1661-1959

Name: Rose Maud Jeru Female
    Birth Date: 16 Apr 1893 Windham Township, Norfolk, Ontario
    Father Edward Jeru Mother Mary Elizabeth. Broadley
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C01800-7 Source Film Number: 1846227 Collection: Ontario Births and Baptisms, 1779-1899

Name: Edith Louisa Jern Female
    Birth Date: 01 Oct 1894 Windham, Norfolk, Ontario
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C01783-5 Source Film Number: 1846242 Reference Number: cn 21034 Collection: Canada Births and Baptisms, 1661-1959

Name: David Russell Jern Male
    Birth Date: 06 Nov 1898 Windham, Norfolk, Ontario
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C03592-5 Source Film Number: 1928125 Reference Number: 659 Collection: Canada Births and Baptisms, 1661-1959

Name: Gladys Pearl Jeru Female
    Birth Date: 01 Oct 1902 Townsend, Norfolk, Ontario, Canada
    Father Edward Jeru Mother Mary Elizabeth. Broadley
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C02342-4 Source Film Number: 2130514 Reference Number: 27893 Collection: Canada Births and Baptisms, 1661-1959

Hope these help in some way

Terry

Amlet

Thank you for these leads Waitabit which I'll follow up on. There is an entry that says Isabella died in 1899 in Canada, but this is unconfirmed and there is no mention of where. The family settled at Round Plains, Windham Twsp. Ontario before movig on to Bookton, Ontario. Bookton appears, even today, to be a very small place in Norfolk county.

terrysfamily - thank you so much. This is terrific. The spelling of Jeroux seems to have had many variants. I found their marriage entry in the Norfolk country archives (MS932, Reels 1-833, 850-880). He's listed as Edward "Jew" and his mother as (cole) Jew. Thankfully they got Broadley right ......

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Amlet View Post
    . There is an entry that says Isabella died in 1899 in Canada, but this is unconfirmed and there is no mention of where. The family settled at Round Plains, Windham Twsp. Ontario before movig on to Bookton, Ontario. Bookton appears, even today, to be a very small place in Norfolk county. Richard
    This would fit with Richard being a Widower in 1900. We're getting closer.
    I've not come upon this area in Cemeteries yet, but others may know of such.

Have you had contact with other Family members who may have information?
    Happy Families
    Wendy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast