Teri

Default Joseph Cornelius Carmichael

I'm looking for information on someone called Joseph Cornelius Carmichael (b. 1702 d. 1782) He married Isabella in 1727 and they came to America at some point. It is said they were from Appin. I cannot find any information before he came to America. I'm trying to find his parents and pedigree.

I have searched through all of Ancestry.coms links and many,many websites.
    Does anyone have any information or suggestions?

Mutley

Welcome to the forum.

At this period in time you will only find information from parish records.
    I am not sure what records are available for Scotland so I will move this thread to the Scottish board where someone may be able to advise you.

Good Luck.

Loves to help with queries

Hi Teri
    I have many Scottish relatives and have found Scotlands People a most useful site, you do have to buy credits in order to view the records online but for this early date I suspect you will be very lucky to find something. Good Luck
    Alison

Teri

That would be great! Thanks!

Teri

Do you find that a lot of people change their names when they come to America or are there just no records for a lot of people from Scotland?

I looked on "Scotland's People" and the only thing I got was "no direct match." I do know that they had 4 children. Their names (in order) were: John, Daniel, James and Mary. It is said that John was born in Scotland around 1728 and then the family came to America. They settled in Mifflin, PA but Joseph and Isabelle may have returned to Scotland at some point.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

He’s my Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather