Michele04

Default Margaret George born St Peter's Port Guernsey

Hi

I have recently acquired the birth certificate for my Great Grandfather Wilfrid Baker this showed that his mother was called Amy Beatrice George before marriage.

I have managed to find the birth of Amy George and her family which has led me to her parents who were Rees George born in Laugharne, Carmarthen, Wales in approx 1830 and his wife Margaret George born in St Peters Port, Guernsey also approximately 1830.

This is where I am stuck, I know that she was born in Guernsey but dont know of her maiden surname. I cant find a marriage certificate for her and Rees either but have found them on the 1871 and 1881 censuses with a family.

Was Guernsey french speaking back in 1830? and would there have been a lot of children born in 1830? if not I was hoping this might help narrow down my search.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Michele
    x

Famous for offering help & advice

You may already have seen these. There is a marriage for a Rees George in Portsea Sep Q 1862 and a Margaret Anson Mander is on the same page as a possible spouse.
    Then looking on FMP's index to armed forces births there is a Margaret A Mander b1830 in the Channel Islands.

So these may be worth looking at.

Michele04

Thankyou so much for this!
    Their eldest son also Rees was born on the Isle of Wight too,so this is looking like a real possibility for me.

Coromandel

Hi Michele

It would be worth investing in a copy of Amy's birth certificate, as it would show her mother's maiden name. Then you could be sure you were on the right track with her parents' marriage.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post

It would be worth investing in a copy of Amy's birth certificate, as it would show her mother's maiden name. Then you could be sure you were on the right track with her parents' marriage.
    Yes well worth it. I was too busy trying to find her name by the back door that I forgot the obvious!

Fiona67

Hi Michele
    Could this be Rees?
    Rees George Christening 9 April 1828 Tregaron, Cardigan, Wales F. David George M. Elizabeth
    It's an extracted record on the IGI and the closest to 1830 I could find.

Regards
    Fiona