BruceH

Question Robert Hay Winthrop (1848 -1934)

Robert Winthrop was my great grandfather. Iam interested in obtaining information about his life before he emigrated to New Zealand in 1872. I know he entered Sandahurst about 1865 and was commissioned as an Ensign in 1866 in the 20th Foot Regiment. What school did he attend as a child? He was posted to Cape of Good Hope in June 1867. What duties did the 20th Regiment have at the Cape? He was then promoted to Lieutenant and posted to Mauritius in July1870. What did the Army do in Mauritius? In September 1870 he returned to England and retired from the Army by sale of commission on 4 November 1870. Does anyone know why he should do this? He was then required by his family to leave England in 1872 and was provided with a remittance provided by his wealthy mother Anne Hives. Does anyone know why he was required to leave home? My great grandfather subsequently led a fascinating, if not highly moral life, in New Zealand and Australia. Answers to my questions will help me better understand the man. Thank you

Mutley

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Robert did seem to lead a fascinating life but perhaps you could give us an idea of his birth date and place to help us assist you find him during his childhood.

I notice that you say his mother was Anne Hives, is Hives her maiden name and do you have the marriage certificate of Robert's parents?

Do you have him in the census prior to 1865 and for the 1871 census?

Sorry to ask questions rather than give you answers but it may help us research the correct man.

Fiona67

I haven't found Robert in the 1861 census but I found this

1861 census
    RG9/1683 folio 19 page 1

Name: Hay Winthrop
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1816
    Relation: Head
    Spouse's Name: Anne Winthrop
    Where born: Kent, England

Civil parish: South Stoke
    County/Island: Somerset

Household Members: Name Age
    Hay Winthrop 45
    Anne Winthrop 41
    Florence Winthrop 10
    Mary Winthrop 9
    Laura Winthrop 8
    Farbrace Winthrop 5
    John Winthrop 1
    Clara Fielding 20
    Sarah Wheadon 35
    Maria Brimble 27
    Elizabeth Mabey 30
    Eliza Harwood 22
    Emily Harwood 19

Hay was a commander in the Royal Navy and I think the address was Monkey? House Mitford

(record held by TNA, Crown copyright)

Could this be Robert's family

Regards
    Fiona
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 21-04-2011 at 7:58 AM. Reason: added required census reference and acknowledgement to TNA

Fiona67

Hay Erskine Shipley Winthorp m Anne Hives March Quarter 1847 Newton Abbott Devon 10 238

Hay died September Quarter 1874 age 58 Bath 5c 427

Fiona

Fiona67

There is a substantial article outlining Robert's life on Wiki..... wow!!! I guess you've seen that

Fiona

Procat

Hi,

I have moved this thread from Introduce Yourself to General Family History Queries as it appears to be a research query rather than a hello post.

BruceH

Hi Mutley, Robert Hay W. was born at Star Cross, Devon on 20 Jan 1848. His mother was the daughter of John Hives, a wealthy industrialist (flax mills) of Leeds. John built a mansion at Leeds which he named Gledhow Grove. BruceH

BruceH

Thank you

BruceH

Hi Fiona. Thank you. Yes this is definitely Robert Hay W's family. I see he was not at home on the night of the census - I expect at age 13 he was at a boarding school. His father Hay Erskine W. was born on 18 Dec 1815 at Devon. BruceH

Fiona67

Hi Bruce
    Yes I thought he would probably be at boarding school too but boarding schools should still be in the census I think and I couldn't find him in any census

Fiona