Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gemmanoon

Hi Jan, that looks very likely, and would also fit with Cave returning to Marn Ann that same year. I will add it to my list of certificates to order!

Further to Coromandel's suggestion, I have just discovered that members of Hull Libraries can search the Hull Packet for free online, so have now got copies of the newspaper reports that show Cave (listed as "Cane") and Walter filched a pair of boots from their employer and tried to pawn them. Awesome :-)

Gem

janbooth

Default Cave SHENTON

Trying to eliminate which Sarah (SPURWAY or BAKER) married Cave in 1839, there are subsequent census records for a Thomas HESTER (one of the other male names on the GRO record) and his wife Sarah in Leicester St Margaret. This Sarah appears (in most census records anyway) to have been born in Dalby, Leicestershire, which is near Melton Mowbray, c1822. Given that Sarah SHENTON always states that she was born c1821 in Leicester, could this be her baptismal record (source Family Search Beta):

25 March 1821 at St Margaret's Leicester Sarah SPURWAY daughter of Edward & Susanna.

Difficult to be certain, but this record does corroborate your Sarah's census details.

Janet

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Could this be Sarah's burial record (source Notts FHS Burial Index):

23 February 1875 at Nottingham St Mary Sarah SHENTON, aged 53, Coalpit Lane
    The GRO deaths index has her as SHENTEN.

If the marriages in 1854 and 1875 were to the same Mary Ann, and if the 1854 marriage was bigamous (as seems likely), the above death/burial of the first wife Sarah may explain why they chose to remarry in 1875, to legimitise the union.

Gemmanoon

Many thanks Jan, it certainly looks compelling. I haven't given Sarah much attention so far, and will dig about with the info you have provided - thanks so much.

Kerry, yes that would make sense, although makes me wonder how much Mary Ann knew about her husband in 1854...

Ultramum

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    If the marriages in 1854 and 1875 were to the same Mary Ann, and if the 1854 marriage was bigamous (as seems likely), the above death/burial of the first wife Sarah may explain why they chose to remarry in 1875, to legimitise the union.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemmanoon View Post

Kerry, yes that would make sense, although makes me wonder how much Mary Ann knew about her husband in 1854...
    That's exactly what I was thinking ...
    Last edited by Ultramum; 20-04-2011 at 10:37 AM. Reason: added second quote

Gemmanoon

Quote Originally Posted by Ultramum View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking ...
    Just a quick update following all the help I received with the above. had to leave the family history alone for a while as I was moving country, but have had some time to pick it back up.

Working backwards:

Walter Shenton's baptism record lists his mother's name as Mary Ann WHITE - but this is probably just a mis-recording of Wright. He was born and baptised in Liverpool, although the family don't settle there and go back to Yorkshire.

The marriage record for Cave Shenton and Mary Ann WRIGHT (a full nine months to the day before Walter is born) threw up a few surprises. Firstly, Mary Ann was a widow. her father's surname was Logan - wasn't expecting that one. Secondly, Cave states he is a bachelor, the lying cur. His father is John and he lists his profession as a Cordwainer, so I'm certain it is the same Cave Shenton who is still married to Sarah.

I have yet to track down the information on his other wife, Sarah, and I haven't got the 1875 marriage record yet for Cave and Mary-Ann, although I am very much looking forward to seeing what that one in particular says under "condition".

Anyway thank you once again for all the help back at the start of this; Cave was certainly a character.

Nicolina

an interesting snippet for you.
    Cave's daughter Mary A., born Leeds about 1860, appears to have married Ernest J. WRIGHT, son of Walter & Mary, in 1884 at Sculcoates Register Offices (Hull).
    That's the same place where Alfred C. married Mary A. GARDAM 4 years earlier. There were also several other SHENTON marriages

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12