beefteef

Post The Junction Inn, Dudley. Any Info

I have recently discovered that my Great, Great, Great Grandfather was the Innkeeper of the Junction Inn in Dudley. He was in his early 60s when the 1861 census was taken and there is no record of him being an Innkeeper on the 1851 cencus. It was located on top of the hill on Tansley Hill Road, i believe it was knocked down in either the 1970s or early 1980s to make way for housing.
    Does a site exist where i can see if my ancestor was the landlord of this establishment?
    Is there a site where i maybe able to locate any phots?
    Any information would be of value.

Thank you all.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

There is no site that I know of, but Alan Hitchmough’s Black country pubs CDs give a lot of information collected from various sources, censuses, newpapers , directories etc.. He lists three Junctions in dudley, at 27 High St,at Hill St/Cromwell St and at Queens Cross/Junction St. There is not much detail on the first of these, but a fair bit on the second and third. I think it is the Hill St/cromwell St one you are looking for. Unfortunately the earliest landlord mentioned is Joseph Shaw Jnr who was there for at least 1860-84. So no use I'm afraid

LittleSpark

I would say that mikejee is correct about it being Hill St/Cromwell St.
    Looking at the up to date A-Z street index for Dudley, Cromwell St is still there - off Hill Top Rd which is off Tansley Hill Rd. HIll St doesn't appear anymore - there's a place called Cawney Hill at the top opf Tansley Hill Rd.
    The area was and still is known as Kates Hill, Dudley.
    Have looked on Black Country History site but it's a bit hit and miss and after trawling through about 20 pages couldn't see anything.
    I have some old Dudley books showing old photos so will check to see if Kates Hill is in one of them.

Sheila

Ultramum

Have you tried https://
    blackcountryhistory.org/

website for above site

beefteef

The Joseph Shaw you mention is my ancestor, but i can only find the 1861 Census that says he was the Innkeeper, he passed away in 1870. He did have a son by the same name but in 1881 he ws an accountant living somewhere else within Dudley. I will do some digging around as my information may be wrong or slightly out. Thank you.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

It was not uncommon in the 19th century for a person to hold the licence of a pub and have another job unconnected with the licensed trade, possibly living at another address.

LittleSpark

Hi,
    I have managed to find 'Kates Hill - 50 years ago' (1940) written by John R. Stenson - he's done many of these where he 'walks' an area of Dudley, a trip down memory lane as he calls them.
    It contains an illustration he's done from a photograph that he'd taken of Junction Hill standing on the corner of Cromwell St.

Was your Shaw family living there in the 1940's? The reason I ask is that on the next page it says:-
    "Passing down the street were more terraced houses, back to back some of them. One 66a was the home of the Shaw family where 'one up and one down' plus the attic was the home for a family of eleven, which was typical at the time"

If you pm me with your e-mail address I'll gladly send you the illustration of the Junction Inn.

Sheila

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Joseph Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by beefteef View Post
    The Joseph Shaw you mention is my ancestor, but i can only find the 1861 Census that says he was the Innkeeper, he passed away in 1870. He did have a son by the same name but in 1881 he ws an accountant living somewhere else within Dudley. I will do some digging around as my information may be wrong or slightly out. Thank you.
    My Ancestor was also Joseph Shaw from kates hill. I was wondering if you found any more information on him and the pub?

Thanks

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums Shawrie
    Unfortunately the original poster is no longer a member of the forums, as indicated by the word 'Guest" under their avatar, so will not receive notification of your post and we do not have any way of contacting them.
    Now that you have taken the time and trouble to join our forums if you need any help with a particular ancestor you could start a new thread of your own to see if our members can help.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs