BMcAleer

Default Occupation Bicyclist: Jack Shingleton Prince

"Jack" John Shingleton Prince is listed in the 1883 Boston Massachusetts with occupation byciclist [sic]. Apparently he was a world class bicycle racer, and was inducted into the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame posthumously in 2003. He built wooden race tracks for bicycles, motorcycles, and cars. (My son races bicycles on velodrome.) Jack sometimes raced his bicycle against horses.
    Oddly enough, he married in my own town of Brookline, Massachusetts, USA, 26 Dec 1882, to Anna Lockett, and when she died in 1933 in Los Angeles, California, she willed a lot of money to my Phillips cousins in England, and I am interested in finding the relationship. John Prince was born about 1858 at Langley Green, Worchestershire, and before I start buying certs am trying to connect with others. His parents were James and Sarah Shingleton. The marriage certificate says it is their first marriage I'm not so sure.
    If anyone knows these families please let me know.

Knowledgeable and helpful

1861 census has John Prince b. 1857 Langley Worcs. living at Langley Green, Staffordshire to parents James and Sarah Prince
    RG9/2023 ? page 28 (Copyright TNA)

Name well known on Brit-Gen

See above ...

Also, FreeBMD has the birth of a Mary Ann Prince SHINGLETON in Mar Qtr 1853 (West Bromwich vol 6b 509), who looks as if she should be connected somehow.

I haven't identified her in a census yet.

EDIT - she's probably the Mary Ann PRINCE aged 8 in the 1861 household found by carolchipp above.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Sarah SHINGLETON married James PRINCE in Dec Qtr 1855 at West Bromwich Register Office (from West Midlands BMD index and FreeBMD).

BMcAleer

Yes,Those are his parents. And I did hear that he has a living descendant, he left a wife and son in England. I'm trying to be a little patient before I spend more money on certs.
    Thanks!

BrianT

Hi, just to let you know that apart from tracing my own family history I am also documenting some the 19th racing cyclists for my sixday.org.uk web site. One of these racers is this same J S Prince. And today I have just discovered an entry for him in a book "The Six-Day Bicycle Races" by P J Nye. I will update the web page - 19th Century Cycle Racers - with any helpful info shortly. Thanks for everyone's earlier contributions.

BMcAleer

Smile Bicyclists

Thanks so much! My son races fixed-gear bicycling on velodromes, I would love to learn more. I'm about ready to buy the certs.