Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    CejB

Default Houghton /Burgess

Elizabeth was my great grand aunt! I have done much research into her and the Burgess clan on both sides of the pond. I am only frustrated that I was in Boston a couple of weeks ago, and we could have met!
    Robert (Robin) and Bessie didn't leave in shame. They left with one of his brothers, and set up with Elizabeth in Ops, Canada. The story has been recorded in detail by Catherine, their eldest. I have this. I also have details of those who remained behind - they stayed in the Dereham area for some time. I have photos and records! Come back to me if you would like to know more...

Mutley

Hello CejB and welcome to the forum.

Mabel has not visited us for a few months but is still a member so I hope your post will bring her back to reply.
    Good Luck

Mabel

We are both dealing with K... Myers (2nd cousin on the Jenss side). I'm so sorry I missed you. I'll me playing with my other grandmother's family with a cousin next week! It becomes an obsession. I also have the history from Caherine.In fact you gave it to K... just a day before I was planning to send it to him. I would love access to your family history page on Ancestory.
    Katharine Cipolla
    (katharinecipolla AT netscape DOT net)
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 20-08-2011 at 6:40 PM. Reason: masked name of living person - please read our Terms of Service

Mabel

Yes. we are all feeding off each other's obsessions. Since I am bringing Local history up to date, I am frustrated at the 1940 cut off for the US census.

ElizabethWizins

Hello, my name is Elizabeth Burgess Clarke Wizinsky. I was named after my great-great grandmother Elizabeth Houghton Burgess. Cej and I have been communicating for a few years. My grandfather was one of the children of Robin and Elizabeth. My grandfather and father are both Houghton Willard Clarke Sr, and Jr. respectively. I would love to hear from you. Sincerely, Elizabeth

Mabel

I am so happy to hear from another "cousin." I have found four others in this journey, covering three of my four grandparents. I tried to get some data for Cej in Albany last fall, with no luck. Although he has covered most everything "Burgess," please let me know if I can chase anything down for you in New England. I wish the Burgesses had taken pictures. I have no idea what my G-Grandfather Fred looked like.
    Katharine Gardner Cipolla

ElizabethWizins

Good to hear from you "Cousin"! A picture/painting did exist....of Elizabeth Burgess as a little girl.....and here is the sad story...my grandfather was married to Minnie Bradford Clarke. They bore my father, Houghton Willard Clarke Jr. I was named Elizabeth Burgess Clarke. My grandfather divorced my grandmother when dad was 21. He married a much younger woman (another story) and they had two boys. Sylvester Pendelton Clarke (named after more family Sylvester Pendelton founded Pendelton NY- another great story. You can go and see the grave site still) and John Sebastian Clarke (named after her side of her family) My grandfather was in possession of the oil painting of Elizabeth Burgess (his mother) and I was to inherite it. Grandfather passed away over 30 years ago. His wife passed away about 4 years ago......my half-uncles claimed all the family treasures and sold off the oil painting of Elizabeth Burgess....where it went to I have no idea. Needless to say it was pretty heartless and painful. I am sure it was very valuable....one of them just purchased a very LARGE catamaran (sleeps 10) My grandfather left them with a substantial inheritence along with their mother who also came from "means." So, the selling of it was purely greed and more money.....

Norfolk News 1 Oct 1855
    DEATHS - FROWHAWK - On the 22nd ult, at Brisley Hall, aged 75, Mr Francis Frowhawk, much respected and deeply lamented by family and friends

Ipswich Journal 16 May 1857
    DEATHS - 3rd inst, at Lakenham, in her 76th year, Catherine, relict of Mr Francis Frowhawk of Brisley-hall, Norfolk
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Mabel

Aren't families strange? Have you any snapshots with the picture in the background? I worked at a historic house for some time; we were searching for portraits of the former owners. using old family photos, we were able to isolate the faces and put a request on the web "Have you seen....?". We did get some responses. Since you know where all this took place, contacting the local media could get you assistance. The portrait was probably bought by a local antique dealer. Good Luck.
    Katharine

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello:

Elizabeth Houghton was my 4th Great Grandmother! I am just finally finding out all of my family history on the Burgess/Houghton side. Any info, pics, etc. would be greatly appreciated! I am also on ancestry my username is amariecopella. I hope I hear from some distant family members!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast