Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hopcraft:

Rod Neep

Let's take a moment to recap...

George HOPCRAFT... baptised 1 Oct 1814 St. Mary's Nottingham, son of Benjamin HOPCROFT & Mary PEARSON

George Married Sarah JOHNSON 25 December 1832 at East Leake

By 1841 they have the following children:
    Elizabeth (b. 1833)
    Isaac (b. 1835)
    George (b. 1838)
    Mary (b. 1840)

Then we have a long gap until we find him in the 1881 census as a widower, but with some relatives living with him.

The next task will be to find those missing links in the middle, and the relationships. And also to find out what happened to his children. I have a sneaky suspicion that he might have married twice by the way!

I have some other work to do now.... I'll come back to it later. (Unless in the meantime, anyone else can find him in the other censuses? - I haven't looked there yet)

Cheers
    Rod

indigo

Default re: Hopcraft

Rod: Wow...you have gone to a lot of trouble to help me locate this family...I am very appreciative of your efforts. Thanks so much...

To add to the confusion: Arthur Hopcraft, son of George Hopcraft (I believe) was my Grandfather! Now I find, in the 1881 Canadian census, (that a George Hopcraft, widower, born in Nottingham, England, was in Canada in time for the Canadian 1881 census, and has a son Arthur aged 11, and daughter Sarah, aged 16, with him.

In that census, he gives his occupation as laborer...don't know if it means his occupation in Canada after his arrival, or prior to coming to Canada.

I was checking the info re the 1881 Canadian census for the province of Manitoba, which is where Arthur ended up, and where he would have married my Grandmother, Mary...however, the census info I found that I thought may be accurate was from 1881 province of Ontario, census...so am I right in assuming they spent some time in Ontario before going to Manitoba...? (if this is the right George Hopcraft.

The information you have provided is very interesting....
    It is strange, what with 'Hopcraft' being a rather un-common name, that I am having such difficulty with this.

This George Hopcraft on the Canadian census for 1881 lists his age as 60 yrs. old...at the time......Arthur was 11, so Arthur would have been born in Nottingham (I believe) in 1870...and Sarah in 1864.

The Baptism Register you mention, and baptism in an RC Church, is a possiblity for me as well, because I haven't been able to figure out where the Catholicism aspect entered the picture...this could be it....because I know that Arthur married a woman who, in the 1901 Canadian census (a year before her marriage to Arthur Hopcraft, listed herself as a Mennonite!! Yet, the Hopcraft family, from that point on, and many who I met as a child, were all devout Catholics...(I knew nothing about the Mennonite link to the Hopcraft family until a couple of weeks ago, when I found that info regarding my grandmother.

You are right in that the name has been interchangeable between Hopcraft, and Hopcroft.I also suspect that George Hopcraft must have had more than one marriage....there are certainly a number of missing links....

Can you see where I am finding so much confusion??

I must say, it is becoming a truly fascinating story...one my children will certainly relish, once I complete this.

If this is the right Hopcraft family, I have also discovered that they were born then, very close to where I have just discovered my other grandfather was born. Wow........!!

Thanks again, Rod....I am really appreciating your help........

Indigo

hur would have been born in Nottingham (I believe) in 1870...and Sarah in 1864.

The Baptism Register you mention, and baptism in an RC Church, is a possiblity for me as well, because I haven't been able to figure out where the Catholicism aspect entered the picture...this could be it....because I know that Arthur married a woman who, in the 1901 Canadian census (a year before her marriage to Arthur Hopcraft, listed herself as a Mennonite!! Yet, the Hopcraft family, from that point on, and many who I met as a child, were all devout Catholics...(I knew nothing about the Mennonite link to the Hopcraft family until a couple of weeks ago, when I found that info regarding my grandmother.

You are right in that the name has been interchangeable between Hopcraft, and Hopcroft.I also suspect that George Hopcraft must have had more than one marriage....there are certainly a number of missing links....

I must say, it is becoming a truly fascinating story...one my children will certainly relish, once I complete this.

If this is the right Hopcraft family, I have also discovered that they were born then, very close to where I have just discovered my other grandfather was born. Wow........!!

Indigo

hur would have been born in Nottingham (I believe) in 1870...and Sarah in 1864.

Indigo

indigo

Default Re: Hopcraft

Rod: I have found a George Hopcroft, widower, 1881 census in England with a son Arthur...aged 11 and daughter Sarah aged 16...he is listed as a laborer, and as P Methodist.

This must be the same George Hopcroft listed in the 1881 Canadian census. At least the children's names are the same. Now at this point, he was 60 yrs. old,in the Canadian census..

The plot thickens!!

Could he have re-married, perhaps a younger woman or something...
    There is something strange to me about all this.....

Indigo

kmdward

Default George HopCroft

1861 Census HO107/2129 folio 254
    Radford household 151
    George Hopcroft, head, m, 36, lace maker, born Nottingham.
    Sarah Hopcroft, wife, m, 34, seamstress, born East Leake, Notts
    Betsy Hopcroft, daur, um, 17, lace maker, born East Leake, Notts.
    Isaac Hopcroft, son, u, 16, lace maker, born Nottingham.
    George Hopcroft, son, u, 14, factory boy, born East Leake, Notts.
    Mary Ann Hopcroft, daur, u, 11, lace mender, born Basford, Notts.
    Amelia Hopcroft, daur, u, 9, lace cliper, born Basford Notts.
    Richard Hopcroft, son, u, 7, born Basford Notts.
    Selina Hopcroft, daur, u, 4, born Basford Notts.

These are the only George Hopcroft/Hopcrafts I could find on the census.

I think you may be looking at two different people, or the George who went to Canada fudged his age perhaps to get assisted passage?

kmdward

Default George Hopcroft

OOOPS
    sorry previous entry was from the 1851 census. And they were in Chapel Street, Basford.
    Last edited by kmdward; 21-06-2005 at 8:20 AM.

missmagoo

Red face Hopcraft

Hello.. Oh my goodness.. The Arthur and George Hopcraft are my great great and great great great grandfathers. They came to Manitoba yes and Arthur that married Mary Gebauer was married twice yes.
    Keep in touch
    Tracy Hopcraft

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Tracy. I'm sitting with my cousin and spouse and we are looking up our family tree. Our grandma's name was Florence Marie Hopcraft. George, Arthur and Mary are listed on our family tree. Send me a message.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12