roan

Default Flawns of Northamptonshire

The Flawn name is not a common one and I have been told in the past that all Flawns are related.

I have built up a picture of all Flawns on the 1841 - 1911 censuses, which has proved most interesting and I see where I link in to a lot of them.

However, getting back before 1841 for censuses and 1837 for BMDs is my problem. Where to begin and what resources to use?

In particular, my Great Great Great Grandfather John Flawn born about 1781 is shown on the 1841 Census living in Pitt Street, Irthlingborough with his wife Elizabeth nee Cradock and three children. Next door is Curtis Flawn born about 1812 and his wife Sarah nee Rivett. How can I find out if they are related?

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by roan View Post
    However, getting back before 1841 for censuses and 1837 for BMDs is my problem. Where to begin and what resources to use?
    Have you accessed the Parish Records at all? Have a read of these help pages and it will explain what you should be able to find.

Growing old Disgracefully

Found this on FreeBMD
    Marriages, Dec 1/4, 1847
    ELIZABETH CRADOCK Wellingborough, Vol no 15, Page no 825
    JOHN FLAWN Wellingborough, Vol no 15, Page no 825

1851 Census has
    John Flawn 26 Head - Shoemaker
    Elizabeth Flawn 23
    George Flawn 2
    Thomas Freeman 18 Lodger Shoemaker
    William Mills 21 Lodger Shoemaker.

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1743; Folio: 378; Page: 15; (TNA)

IGI submitted entry
    John Flawn born 15 Aug 1824, christened 15 Aug 1824 Irthlingborough, Northampton
    Married dec 1849 to
    Elizabeth Craddock born abt 1828 Little Harrowden, Northamptonshire.
    Children George born 18 Feb 1849
    Eliza born abt 1856.

also has
    Family search has : Father: John , Mother: Elizabeth
    Batch Number: I007135
    Charlotte 16 Aug 1816 Christening
    John 15 Aug 1824
    Thomas 23 Sept 1827
    Last edited by Sandyhall; 05-04-2011 at 8:47 AM. Reason: to add to

Growing old Disgracefully

Found this Marriage on FreeBMD
    Marriages, Dec 1/4, 1838
    Curtis FLAWN, Wellingboro, Vol no 15, Page no 847
    on the same page is a Sarah Rivett.

This and the other marriage for John and Elizabeth that I have given you above, the cert. will give you the fathers names and occupations. You can then go back from there.

janbooth

From Northamptonshire Marriage Index 1837-60:

22 Oct 1838 at Irthlingborough Curtis FLAWN, otp, bachelor, 21, Labourer, father John FLAWN, Labourer & Sarah RIVITT, otp, spinster, 21, Servant, father John RIVITT, Mason

3 Dec 1845 at Irthlingborough George FLAWN, otp, bachelor, 20, Shoemaker, father John FLAWN, Labourer & Elizabeth LILLEY, otp, spinster, 18, Shoebinder, father James LILLEY, Shoemaker

23 December 1847 at Great Harrowden John FLAWN, otp, bachelor, 24, Shoemaker, father John FLAWN, Labourer & Elizabeth CRADDOCK, otp, spinster, 21, Servant, father George CRADDOCK, Postman

2 April 1840 at Finedon Richard OWEN, otp, bachelor, full age, Farmer, no father's details & Mary FLAWN of Irthlingborough, spinster, full age, Servant, father John FLAWN, Labourer

28 October 1851 at Irthlingborough John DICKENS, Chelveston, bachelor, 21, Wheelwright, father Ekin DICKENS, Butcher & Hephzibah FLAWN, otp, spinster, 20, Servant, father John FLAWN, Labourer

From the above marriages you will see that it is John the son of John FLAWN born c1781 who married Elizabeth CRADDOCK. You will have great fun sorting out John FLAWN snr as from the Northants Marriage Index 1700-1837 (all at Irthlingborough):

13 November 1803 John FLAWN, otp, bachelor & Hannah MORTEN, otp, spinster
    4 December 1806 John FLAWN, otp, & Sarah CURTIS, otp, spinster
    8 April 1810 John FLAWN, otp, widower & Elizabeth DENTON, otp, spinster
    21 April 1814 John FLAWN, otp, bachelor & Elizabeth NURRISH, otp, spinster
    22 May 1820 John FLAWN, otp, widower & Elizabeth CATTEL, otp, widow

Good luck

Janet

roan

Thanks for the great responses and useful information, some of which I already had, but much which I did not. John Flawn seems to have been the standard name for everyone at that time! John Flawn and Elizabeth Nurrish are my direct ancestors - the trick is to find which one belongs to Curtis!