Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Montecarlolou

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    Yes Jellylegs, we really could do with those names as they may hold a clue.
    Hi witnesses as requested - seen the marriage cert myself!! And they are Harry Webb, stepfather to Alice (newly found) and Alice Poplett. Any good?

Montecarlolou

The Emily Feist I found on earlier searches is in fact sister of the Henry I was directed to - I wonder if it's her and she used the name at the time as a bluff to 'protect' the real father. It says Harry on this marriage certificate. Pure supposition. Still, this is amazing. None of the family have been able to beat this one.

Montecarlolou

Fabulous - your title of demolition expert is well deserved!

Montecarlolou

My brother-in-law had already researched the family and this info has gone far and wide - I like to verify though and can't find John with Henry and Eliza. I think a mistake has been copied and copied...!

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlolou View Post
    My brother-in-law had already researched the family and this info has gone far and wide - I like to verify though and can't find John with Henry and Eliza. I think a mistake has been copied and copied...!
    It does sound like it, Lauren. Unfortunately this is more common than some realise. I'm pleased to hear you are a true researcher who doesn't accept unverified info.

Now you have supplied the witnesses names for John's marriage we can try to sort out Alice's family. Fingers crossed, eh!

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

Lauren,

It looks as though the other witness on the marriage certificate could be Alice, the younger sister of Mary Jane.

The only other thing I can think of to try and sort out the WEBB side of things, is to send for a copy of Alice Rebecca's death certificate. With a bit of luck, the sister she was visiting when she died (or maybe her sister's husband, if she was married) registered the death - that may then give us something else to look at. Of course, if John was also visiting, then he may have registered his wife's death.

Lizzy9

The Emily Feist I found on earlier searches is in fact sister of the Henry I was directed to - I wonder if it's her and she used the name at the time as a bluff to 'protect' the real father. It says Harry on this marriage certificate. Pure supposition. Still, this is amazing. None of the family have been able to beat this one.
    Yes, Lauren all our collective research points to John's mother Emily being the sister of Henry, and daughter of John and Jane.

I think the most plausible reason for John naming his father as Harry on the marriage certificate was to save embarrassment! Many illegitimate children invented a father's name at marriage maybe so as not to feel stigmatised, or it was merely less complicated as no explanation would have been necessary.

Lizzy9

Hi witnesses as requested - seen the marriage cert myself!! And they are Harry Webb, stepfather to Alice (newly found) and Alice Poplett. Any good?
    How certain are you that Harry Webb was Alice's stepfather; could he be a half brother?

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by Jellylegs View Post
    Lauren,

It looks as though the other witness on the marriage certificate could be Alice, the younger sister of Mary Jane.

The only other thing I can think of to try and sort out the WEBB side of things, is to send for a copy of Alice Rebecca's death certificate. With a bit of luck, the sister she was visiting when she died (or maybe her sister's husband, if she was married) registered the death - that may then give us something else to look at. Of course, if John was also visiting, then he may have registered his wife's death.
    Lauren,

This suggestion from Jellylegs is good advice. The death certificate may hold valuable clues.

Montecarlolou

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    It does sound like it, Lauren. Unfortunately this is more common than some realise. I'm pleased to hear you are a true researcher who doesn't accept unverified info.

Now you have supplied the witnesses names for John's marriage we can try to sort out Alice's family. Fingers crossed, eh!
    Here's hoping! You've all been really great helping me try to untangle this mess

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast