RestiesMum

Smile Thomas and Mary Thompson of Dolgelly

Thomas and Mary kept the Liquor Vaults Pub in Lion Street from about 1868 until they died in 1878 and 1880 respectively. Can any one tell me anything about the pub or where they may be buried? I'm visiting the area next weekend and would like to visit their graves. They may have been Catholic.
    Thanks
    RestiesMum

Mutley

Any help on the Genuki site?

malcolm99

It might be worth visiting the Meirionnydd Record Office, Dolgellau. See:
    gwynedd.gov.uk/gwy_doc.asp?cat=3693&doc=12971&language=1 (www in front)

Coromandel

On the Virtual Tourist website, on a page about 'Dolgellau Things to Do', someone has transcribed the inscription from a memorial:

"UNDERNEATH
    are interred the remains of
    Thomas Thompson
    of Lion Street in the town
    who departed this life July 16 - 1878
    Aged 41 years"

The author of this post adds that 'His widow Mary Jane is also buried here. She died aged 34 on December 30th 1880.'

From what I can gather this memorial is in the same cemetery as an obelisk in memory of Dafydd Ionawr, which should be quite easy to spot. According to the British Listed Buildings website this obelisk is in the Old Cemetery, Marian Road, Dolgellau. Looking on Google street view, there is a churchyard in Marian Road, but it looks as if there may also be a cemetery further down the road, on the other side (behind a wall).

There's even a photo of the Thompson gravestone on the Virtual Tourist site mentioned above: click on the photo of the obelisk to see other photos in the set. If you google for "Thomas Thompson" and "Dolgellau" you should find the page.

RestiesMum

Thank you for all of this. I will check it all out, and will certainly visit the grave. How exciting!!!
    RestiesMum