Thread: Tanners

pmccollester

Unhappy Tanners

I'm researching my maiden name of Tanner. This has proven difficult now that it has been traced back to England. I'm trying to find William Tanner who was born around 1660 to a General Francis Tanner b abt 1634. I know this much about William before he arrived in Rhode Island, USA around 1680.

"In the middle of the 17th century was one General Francis Tanner whose crest (coat of arms) was "Three Moors' Heads," whose sons Thomas and William are said to imigrate to Rhode Island during the Cromwell troubles between 1655-1680, of whom Thomas (I think this is probably John and not Thomas) settled in New Bedford, MA and William in Rhode Island." As of yet, there is no hard core proof of this. I have found some information the gives Williams birth as 10 Mar 1657 Chipstead Parish, Surrey, England. His middle name maybe Francis. He was a 7 Day Baptist here is US. I think there was a son Thomas who remained back in England and inherited the the estate. John and William, as already mentioned, came to US.

Is there anyone who knows how to help out with zeroing in on William and his father and other family members? He has been a tough nut to crack for sure. I know there are tons of Tanners in England today and perhaps another Tanner knows how to get some answers to my William.

Thanks

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello,
    My name is Michelle and William Tanner is my9 times Great Grandfather. I just started working on my Tanner family tree. I would be willing to help if you want. Here is my e-mail addresses [email protected]. and. [email protected]
    Michelle