Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

On the census, John Ford states he was born in Bossington. An estimated birth date from the 1851 census is abt 1798 and from the 1861 census is abt 1795.

There is a potential christening in Bossington that might match...

• John Ford bap. on 15 Sep 1793 at Bossington. Parents Thomas and Jane.

It's a little earlier and he didn't name any of his children Thomas or Jane did he? Do you have his 1863 death certificate and his age on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    There's a connection between the owners of Eggesford House and the owners of Hurstbourne Park. Egglesford House belonged to Newton Fellowes, who had once been called Newton Wallop, and was brother of the 'vampyre Earl'.
    Newton Wallop apparently rescued his brother the mad Earl from his grasping second wife and in-laws. I think I'll have a look through the newpapers later this evening and see what else there is on this family and see if there is ever any mention of John Ford, gamekeeper. Fascinating lot! Want to look right now, but have to go and eat first.

roan

Olliecat, you really have gone to great lengths on this one! I have just read the Vampyre Earl story which really is quite a tale! Maybe my GG Grandfather John was that Gamekeeper! Such heroic acts certainly run in the family!

Not sure about the Thomas and Jane connection as there are no descendants with those names that I know of. I have ordered his death certificate and hopefully that will give a clue.

I didn't know about a daughter named Sarah. The 1841 and 1851 censuses give the following children: William 1831, Ellen 1831, John 1833, Selina 1835, Luke 1838 and Charles 1841.

Re: Arlington Lodge, the estate was owned by the Chichester family.

Quote Originally Posted by roan View Post
    Olliecat, you really have gone to great lengths on this one! I have just read the Vampyre Earl story which really is quite a tale! Maybe my GG Grandfather John was that Gamekeeper! Such heroic acts certainly run in the family!
    It is quite a tale isn't it and I wish one of my ancestors had been in their employ. I confess, I haven't done any more digging on this family yet but, I'll have a little trawl later. In your place, I would also try and look at estate records as mentioned by Peter and Colin in earlier posts.

Not sure about the Thomas and Jane connection as there are no descendants with those names that I know of. I have ordered his death certificate and hopefully that will give a clue.
    Yes! That trouble me too. The death certificate may clarify his age. On another point, do you know what Sarah's maiden name is? I'm itching to see if a couple of potential marriages fit.

I didn't know about a daughter named Sarah. The 1841 and 1851 censuses give the following children: William 1831, Ellen 1831, John 1833, Selina 1835, Luke 1838 and Charles 1841.
    As for the children christenings, I'm not sure if the Hurstbourne Priors parish registers are online anywhere else (I'll check), but I can see some transcriptions on the pay/subscription site findmypast. I'm afraid I can't give you any further details or I will break their terms and conditions. If you do decide to check these out, the father's occupation is recorded.

roan

No, I don't have Sarah's maiden name. I'm not a member of Findmypast at present. It's pretty expensive and I have to decide whether it will be value for money. I am a member of NZSG and can access it at the Family Research Centre in Auckland, so might give that consideration.

Re: the estate records, that sounds like an expensive option too, so might have to leave that for now as well. I'm new to genealogy, so have many other lines to follow in the meantime.

I do find the stories attached to my ancestors the most interesting - and there are many!

roan

Another interesting fact is that Newton Fellowes was from Eggesford where William Ford was a Gamekeeper for a time. He was also associated with the Chichesters where William worked at Arlington, so there was an association between Hurstbourne Priors, Eggesford and Arlington.

When William joined the Grenadiers Guards his occupation was shown as Sawyer which makes one wonder what happened to make him move from Gamekeeper to Sawyer and then join the army. When he went to British North America it was in response to the Trent Affair, but that is another story for another thread...........

roan

Well, thanks to Google Books ( a site I have just found) I found this little gem about John Ford Snr from a book published in 1859 titled "Instructions to young sportsmen in all that relates to guns and shooting" by Lt. Col. P. Hawker.

As a further proof of the quickness with which two barrels may be correctly fired, provided the gun is kept to the shoulder, I shall mention an instance. John Ford, gamekeeper to the Earl of Portsmouth, and a man about six feet six! laid his gun on the ground, of course with both barrels cocked; and after throwing off two penny-pieces himself, he took up his gun, and hit them both most handsomely, before either fell to the ground. He requested me to try, with his gun, if I could do the same. At first I failed, for want of being, what we used to call at Eton, a good "shy;" but, after Ford had given me a few lessons in the throwing department, I did it the first time, (though, perhaps, more by luck than skill,) putting five shot in one, and six in the other; which led me to conclude that, by practice, this might be reduced to about the same degree of certainty as other quick double shots. As to a man with his gun in his hand, throwing up and hitting two penny-pieces, or halfpence, it is no more than what many good shots can do, by the mere knack of catching the first just after the turn, and presenting well under the second: but the other performance is really a difficulty.

caspergram

Hello, Roan.

I have the 1861 census and John Ford Jnr appears on it as does his father living next door to each other at Hurstbourne. John Ford Snr is also my great great grandfather. His son Charles is my great grandfather. Which sibling are you descended from?

John Snr was married to Sarah Pibworth whose maiden name was (I think) Jeffery (John and Charlotte) - but I need to be completely
    convinced on this yet.

Charles became a gamekeeper too, in Fortingall, Perthshire, marrying into a well-established family called Proudfoot in ?1866.

Have a look for the Story of the Vampyre Earl - about the Earl of Portsmouth in whose employ the Ford's were at Hurstbourne Priors.

We need to know if the Earl had any connections/ lands in Scotland. John Jnr may have gone to Scotland too.

John Snr's father was Thomas Ford b. March 1750? - ? and who married Jane ? c 1777.

Hope this has been helpful.

Ade

roan

Hi Ade

I am descended from William, John Jnr and Charles' elder brother. He too, was a Gamekeeper, although he also spent time in the Grenadier Guards.

I have John Jnr in the following censuses:

1841 - Head Keeper's Lodge, Hurstbourne Priors
    1851 - Keeper's House, Hurstbourne Priors - Assistant Gamekeeper
    1861 - Arch Lodge, Hurstbourne Priors - Gamekeeper
    1871 - Surrenden Park, Cale Hill, West Ashford, Kent - Gamekeeper
    1881 - Westbourne, West Sussex - Gamekeeper
    1891 - North Petherton, Bridgewater, Somersetshire - Park Keeper

So William, John and Charles were all Gamekeepers, following on from their Father. There was another son, Luke, who died when he was eight years old. I know of two sisters as well, Ellen and Selina.

I have seen the story about the Vampyre Earl and it makes interesting reading! I can just imagine John Snr defending him with a blunderbuss!

I would certainly be interested to hear more about Charles.

I too, thought that Sarah Pibworth had a connection with John and Charlotte Jeffery, although I have not been able to confirm this.

caspergram

Hi, cousin! Great to hear from you. I believe that John Jnr married Elizabeth Laura Moyle of Pluckley in Kent, when he was at Surrenden Park presumably. I am looking into that connection too as Moyle is an interesting family. interestingly, John Snr had a grandson age 11 living with him in 1861 called William Quinn. So one of his daughters probably Ellen married a Quinn. Selena married someone called Newman. Plenty work to do here!

Charles married, lived and died in Scotland (Fortingall, Perthshire) - all his children were born there: John William, Catherine, elizabeth and my grandfather, Alexander Charles 1886-1914. He married a Robertson, but moved south, for my mother was born in Southampton in 1911.

Still lots of work to do!

All the best.

Ade

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast