Colin Rowledge

Default What type of "SMITH" was he?

On several various census records as well as on marriage certificates, I am coming across an occupation that is defined as a 'Smith'.

Some lived in rural areas while others were in industrial areas, however I cannot determine what kind of smith they were.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Colin

MarkJ

I think that a general "smith" will be a blacksmith. The silversmiths etc tend to state their full title - but that is purely my thoughts on it, rather than a gospel fact

Mark

pennydog

I accept the term as meaning a metal worker, as Mark says gold and silver smiths usually give the full title as it is a skilled trade, as do tinsmiths.

I have blacksmiths in my line, but I do not think of them in the tradtional village setting (especially as they were in the east end of London!), more as workers with black (iron etc) metal as opposed to whitesmiths who worked with lighter metals.

erniepar

My wife's grandfather was described as a blacksmith and a county smith, again not to do with horses! We believe he may have worked in the Tyneside shipyards particularly as where he died in Canada (Collingwood, Ontario) was a lakeside shipbuilding area.

A person who primarily works with metals and horses would be known as a shoeing smith or farrier, depending on whether he also did general ironwork as well or not.

A Farrier does nothing but shoe horses and other work animals while a shoeing smith would also make and mend machinery and gates and fences. Perhaps a few door latches and hinges. Sometimes fixing a stout chain to an iron bar so that it could be fixed to a wall to secure an animal - that sort of thing.
    My country upbringing sneaking out here.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

dian

I think 'Smiths are any sort of metal worker. My Greatgrandfather called himself a Smith. He worked at a glassworks so I assume he was a leadlighter.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Also the railways. My GGG grandfather was a blacksmith for Great Western