Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    julianshea

Fantastic - any idea where I might be able to see it?

roan

I too, would be interested to see both the article and the picture.

Julian, great to hear we may be related! I will PM you later today (your time), As it is Saturday evening at the moment where I live.

julianshea

Excellent! I thought this was a massively long shot so that's great news. My dad has done some research so may well be able to tell you more & maybe even has pictures.

Have sent Private Message
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Bill Ellson

Roan, apologies for missing your second question before. Abinger Road was re-named Desmond Street (probably to avoid confusion with nearby Abinger Grove). None of the 1901 housing survives in that part of Deptford and all the housing there is post second world war.

roan

Hi Bill and thanks for that information. I suppose a lot of housing was damaged or destroyed during both the 1st and 2nd World Wars and a lot of regeneration took place. One thing the census does tell us, is that the road must have been re-named after 1901.

"old maps" https://old-maps.co.uk/index.html

click on link and enter coordinates 536393 177543
    when maps loaded, click on 1895/96 Town Plans
    when loaded, click on main window (anywhere except "Enhanced zoom" field!!) to enhance.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

roan

That's great Helachau, I now have a much better idea of where Abinger Street was.

Interestingly, from the information I now have, it is clear that Joseph Shea was the instigator of the Hammermens Society in Deptford and that many branches were formed by him in other parts of the country as well. His work in improving the lot of the Smiths and Hammermen, with better wages and conditions, as well as fighting on their behalf at Trade Union meetings, meant that he had a great deal of respect from his peers. This was evident when he died of influenza in October 1903. The death was reported as follows in the local newspaper:

Kentish Mercury of 2.10.1903: "We regret to record the death of Mr. Joseph Shea of 420, New Cross Road which occurred on Tuesday evening at the age of 45. The deceased gentleman was General Secretary to the National United Society of Smiths and Hammermen and a member of the Deptford Borough Council sitting for the North Ward, for which he had again been chosen as a candidate at the coming election. He was a prominent member of the Hatcham Liberal Club and of the Deptford and Greenwich Trades Council Institute and Club. Death was due to the effects of a cold contracted while attending the Trades Congress at Leicester last month. He leaves a wife and 10 children. The funeral will take place tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon at half-past two at Brockley Cemetery. "

Kentish Mercury of 16.10.1903: "The remains of Mr. Joseph Shea, of 420 New Cross Road, whose death was recorded last week, were interred in the Roman Catholic portion of the Deptford Cemetery on Saturday afternoon, in the presence of a large gathering of sympathising friends ......... The cortège left the deceased's house at 3 o'clock headed by the Deptford Borough Brass Band and the banner of the Society of which he had been General Secretary. Other banners in the procession were those of the
    Lambeth and Southwark No.2 branch of the Society; the Amalgamated Society of Engineers; the Deptford and Greenwich Trades Council; the Amalgamated Society of Railway Servants; the " Invicta" and "Rose of Denmark" Lodges of the Ancient Order of Britons; the Iron and Steel Shipbuilders and Boilermakers; the Amalgamated Stevedores Protection League; Deptford Victualling Yard; Deptford Liberal Club and "Stephen the Yeoman" Lodge U.O.A.T. sons of Phoenix. The large gathering at the cemetery included the Mayor and Town Clerk of Deptford, ……… (a list of about 30 names follows, including Aldermen, Councillors, Doctors, J. P.s and other local functionaries) ........The Rev. Fr. Sheen officiated. Wreaths were sent from upwards of a dozen branches of the Smiths and Hammermens Society; from the staff of 40, Cannon St. , E. C. , the Hatcham Liberal Club, residents in Abinger Road, Deptford and……… (the names of several local functionaries follow)……… The coffin was of polished elm
    with brass fittings."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12