Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ewan

Default 1891 and 1901 Help

This couple don't seem to want to be found, if anyone can help locate them it would be much appreciated.

Alice Cheverton born 1855 Isle of Wight married John James Williams in 1884 Isle of Wight.

They had a son Walter John in 1885 Isle of Wight.

The nearest sighting of a Walter John Williams is of a lad aged 7 born about 1884 (Waller J Greenwood/Williams son of Mary Greenwood aged 61) in 1891 living Southampton being stated as being born in Southampton living with a family of Greenwoods. However the change of name is confusing me.

In 1901 the same Walter now aged 19 is living with the same family now called Williams! mum being an Elizabeth aged 45.

I think this maybe the son of the above couple, but I can't explain the change of name and mum etc. My quest is to find out what happened to Alice and John James Williams, if anyone can help please.

Thank you for any help.
    Ewan

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by ewan View Post
    The nearest sighting of a Walter John Williams is of a lad aged 7 born about 1884 (Waller J Greenwood/Williams son of Mary Greenwood aged 61) in 1891 living Southampton being stated as being born in Southampton living with a family of Greenwoods. However the change of name is confusing me.

In 1901 the same Walter now aged 19 is living with the same family now called Williams! mum being an Elizabeth aged 45.
    Hi Ewan,
    Have you looked at the actual image of the 1891 entry, or are you relying on Ancestry's transcription? Where the drippy transcribers have listed Elizabeth WILLIAMS aged 34 as Greenwood. Ditto with her three children also being transcribed as Greenwood when they should be Williams. If he is listed in the correct relationship, the next person on the list is John Barnett aged 72, and he is Elizabeth Williams' father. Also in the household is her sister Louisa Barnett.
    I expect that this Walter J is the one with a birth registration in Southampton registration district September quarter 1883.

Have you checked passenger lists for John, Alice and family emigrating?
    Pam

ewan

Hello Pam thank you for your reply.

I haven't looked at the image, someone kindly sent me the details of the census information. I expect the birth registration you mention of a Walter John Williams Southampton in 1883 is the one from the 'mixed up' family in Southampton, it is just that I have found nothing near to the details of Walter John Williams son of John James and Alice Williams this looked like it could be him. Perhaps not then.

I haven't been able to find deaths of the family so I suppose the other alternative to their whereabouts is that they did emigrate somewhere. Or they have been miserably mis transcribed to what though??
    Many thanks
    Ewan

Richard1955

Do you have the marriage certificate for Alice Cheverton and John Williams or is this just information
    from elsewhere.
    Do you have birth certificates for any of the family?

ewan

Hello Richard thanks for your reply too.

I don't have the marriage certificate of the couple, nor birth certificates of any of the family.

I am currently looking for an individual but I feel I am coming towards the end of this now. The couple mentioned was one where I had put a question mark against. However, I do know that Alice's mum's maiden name was Prior.

Ewan

Hi Ewan,
    I was going to ask if you had the marriage certificate as that would hopefully give us an age and occupation for John Williams, plus a father and an occupation for him.
    Hopefully this Saturday I will have access to a marriage index which will tell me where John and Alice married, so you could then ask the relevant Record Office for a copy of the entry in the PR. Though don't hold your breath for a positive result.

There's a tree on Ancestry which says that Frank Henry, one of Alice's older brothers was in living in Rich Hill Ward 2, Bates, Missouri in 1910 having arrived in the US in 1865. I haven't checked out those details, but it could be a clue to James and Alice also emigrating. Might be worth looking for any other Cheverton brothers who emigrated, and checking to see if any sisters married people with more unusual names so you can follow them through census/passengers lists, etc.
    Trouble with any search is that Williams is such a common name, though Alice Emily is perhaps slightly less common.
    Pam

ewan

I don't know if you have seen the bmds for the Isle of Wight Pam, but the reference against John James Williams and Alice Emily Cheverton is RO 28/169. I would take this to be at a registry office as opposed to a church, as other references of marriages at churches have the beginning letters of COE. If you do have access to a marriage index and can establish where the couple were married that would be great, I could then see about getting a copy of the record.

Thanks for the advice about other trees, I will certainly follow that one up too, I had forgotten about the siblings of Alice it looks like there could possibly be 10 siblings registered 1847 to 1868, I'll see if they can be located also.

Thanks again for all your help, a few things to look into.

Ewan

Quote Originally Posted by ewan View Post
    I don't know if you have seen the bmds for the Isle of Wight Pam, but the reference against John James Williams and Alice Emily Cheverton is RO 28/169. I would take this to be at a registry office as opposed to a church, as other references of marriages at churches have the beginning letters of COE.
    Hadn't seen those BMDs (IoW isn't my normal area) but that doesn't sound very hopeful for a church wedding.
    However, to paraphrase, it ain't over till the fat lady's checked the microfiche. Just don't hold your breath.
    Pam

Richard1955

Hi Ewan
    I can't help feeling that your source of information is incorrect and possibly made up of some guesswork / errors.
    Can I suggest that you yourself take this line of your family back to 1911 and find the entry on the census.
    If you need some help from there then post a new message and we can then help you trace back through
    the census and find other various info as we go back.
    For us to help you we need name, age and occupation.

Sorry to be blunt
    Richard
    Last edited by Richard1955; 16-03-2011 at 6:15 AM. Reason: Just because I can

ewan

Pam, I have been in contact with the record office and they tell me that possibly not a register office as they were not in use until a later date than this marriage in 1884, they suggested it could of been a chapel of some sort perhaps. Will wait and see if any other information arises when the lady checks the microfiche.

Richard, the source of the information I have is purely from the index of marriages. The couple are not blood related so I would not be able to trace them back. I am interested to find out what become of Alice Emily Williams after the birth of her child Walter John Williams in 1885.

No need to apologise I don't feel you are being blunt, just trying to help me, but unfortunately this is a process of elimination if I can find out what happened to the lady in question that will complete the investigation.

Thanks
    Ewan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast