Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    JohnN

Default They're at it again!

I just had a phone call (5.00pm on a Tuesday) from an Indian-sounding gentleman who asked for me by name. There were a lot of other Indian-sounding gentlemen talking away in the background, too. I asked who it was who wanted to speak to him and he reeled off a name which I didn't catch (haven't got the hearing aids in) and said he was phoning from some company or other, "computer and technology department" and he was ringing because he was most concerned about a message he had received from my computer...

At that, I said I would go and see if I could find 'him' and put the phone down.
    He wasn't there when I picked it up again a few minutes later.

Some people have no patience!

deeree

I've recently had this one too, and so's my husband. I acted stupid, (wasn't hard), and played along for quite some time. Once they had my agreement that I'd follow their advice to find the dastardly virus that they'd detected on my computer, I was escalated to the senior dastardly-virus-finding-and-eliminating guru. After a lot of inability on my part to find the "start' button in the left hand corner, I said I'd get my husband to help. When I came back to the phone after a minute or two, I told him perhaps he was under the impression that my computer was a PC, whereas, it's an Apple. Phone went dead! Does anyone know what their intentions are? Are they looking for information, planting a worm, or what?
    Last edited by deeree; 15-03-2011 at 6:17 AM. Reason: Spelling

Procat

Looking for credit card details they can use, possible plant a real virus, plant a program that can find your banking details and passwords or just charge you a lot of money to remove something that is not there.

At any rate, never give them anything except a lack of satisfaction because you did not fall for it.

Growing old Disgracefully

Cool

They haven't learnet yet have they these spammers Keep them talking they are paying for calling you !!!!
    But never give them any personal details. See how long you can waste their time lol.

I had another one last night oh dear my computer is up stairs and my phone is downstairs, how are we going to do this, no I don't have a mobile, no I don't have a hands free, I know, you tell me what to do I'll write it all down then i'll go upstairs and do it. OK, so he tells me what to do, do they think I am that stupid. I then start with my questions how do you know all this, are you conected to my computer then, well you must be bla, bla, bla.

How I keep a strait face and do not laugh I don't know, 25 mims I kept him on the phone waisting his time lol

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by deeree View Post
    Does anyone know what their intentions are? Are they looking for information, planting a worm, or what?
    If this is the usual scam, they will get you to open the Windows Event Viewer. That is going to have various errors listed (it always does - which is why they pick that particular program) which, they will claim, proves that your PC is riddled with all sorts of nasties.
    Once you accept that you have a nasty dose of some imagined virus or trojan etc, they direct you to a website to download a "tool" to allow them to "fix" your PC. This is where the problem starts - because this "tool" is going to hand control of your PC to them. In the basic scam, they will fiddle about for a while - and you will see the cursor moving around and stuff being opened and closed etc - then demand a lot of cash for "fixing" your computer. However, the same trick can be used to install all sorts of nasties - whatever the scum want to do, because they have full access to your PC.

The simple fact is that Microsoft will never ever call you unless you have specifically instigated a question with them at their tech support place. Think about it - a company which has its operating system installed on 90% of the worlds computers are not going to be checking each of them in some altruistic move!
    In the near future, I would expect to see similar scams claiming to be from your ISP/PC World/Currys etc etc.

In a way, it is quite a clever trick - they use social engineering to convince you that they are an official outfit, use a program which is built into Windows to "prove" your PC is infested (they also ask if your PC is running slow etc - which they do at times and once it is suggested, then we all think "..yes, it does seem slower...". Then they make you install a trojan onto your machine!
    Once they have that on your machine, they can do anything - literally - it is as though they are sat in front of it with full admin rights.

Dorset Girl

Quote Originally Posted by deeree View Post
    . When I came back to the phone after a minute or two, I told him perhaps he was under the impression that my computer was a PC, whereas, it's an Apple. Phone went dead!
    I did the same - and it was so much fun! In fact I was looking forward to their next phone call but they must be getting wise to the stalling tactics - I started off on the "I'm sorry I can't hear you very well - can you repeat that" - and the phone went dead!! Spoilt my fun for the day!

spison

I'm afraid I was hopeless at keeping them talking when they rang after a terribly hectic couple of days.

I tried...I truly tried but I ended up just yelling something to the effect. "Look mate I know this is a scam. JUST LEAVE ME ALONE AND DON'T CALL AGAIN." And hung up. I'm a hopeless failure at subterfuge when I'm stressed!

Jane

Wonder what the response would be if you said 'this call is being traced by the police in connection with operation scam'?

Pat S

Quote Originally Posted by spison View Post
    I ended up just yelling something to the effect. "Look mate I know this is a scam. JUST LEAVE ME ALONE AND DON'T CALL AGAIN." And hung up.

Yep, that's my response.

Pat

Richard1955

Can't everyone just get an air horn and blast them down the phone.
    That will stop it, I'm sure.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast