Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    josie7644

Yesterday, I received a text message reminding me that I hadn't yet claimed for the accident I'd had! This was about the sixth from the same company on the same subject! I was invited to text "Claim" or "Stop". There is no way I am going to waste money texting "Stop" (even though it is only 10p). They can send as many as they like, but I'll just delete them!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Procat View Post
    It is a "robot" used by the call centre. Your number is dialled by the "don't know what for ,himself anse\wered.bot". If you don't answer quickly enough or your answering machine turns on the "robot" cancels the call. As the "robot" often calls multiple numbers at a time the real person who will talk to you may no longer be available as someone else has answered their phone faster than you did. If this happens the "robot" will also cancel the call. If you answer the phone before the "robot" has cancelled the call but after the real person is no longer available you will hear the goodbye message - depending of course on how the thing has been set up.
    Right again Doug,thank you. We received our first "windows-computer-probs. call yesterday.
    todays' we've been selected for....don't know what for, himself answered ..Whew!!!!!
    Last edited by Waitabit; 21-06-2011 at 9:54 AM. Reason: typo
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    We received our first "windows-computer-probs. call yesterday.
    todays' we've been selected for....don't know what for, himself answered ..Whew!!!!!
    Hope you played them along a bit - they deserve it.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Having a head cold helped when I answered & got the usual ' problem with computer' I said..'What computer?' he said the usual windows speel, I told him I was a pensioner & couldn't afford all of this newfangled stuff...only words failed part way through & it came out gobbledygoop, he apologised for having thewrong number & we hung up.
    Next day when Himself answered,all seemed well until himself said "what subscription?, I haven't made any subscriptions...then.."well you can take your randomly selected etc......I stopped listening about then.He hung up.
    No call today.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

alfred girling

Default annoying calls

here in oz we can go to https://donotcall.gov.au you may have something the same

Famous for offering help & advice

Arrow BEWARE

They are at it again and becoming more threatening... A distant relative who has several family members in various police forces in Canada and who used to work for the police herself, just emailed me the following... I am quoting...
    Just had a really disturbing call. A heavily accented voice (Indian/Pakistani) called (supposedly from Windows) about hackers getting into my computer and downloading illegal programs. They wanted me to go to my computer to resolve the problem. When I refused and advised that I'd take my computer in to my IT guy and have him call them back and asked for their number he started to speak really fast and it was hard to understand him. I explained my problem understanding and he stated he was in Pakistan and asked if I knew about Osama Ben Ladam (sp?) and his terrorism against the U.S. I asked what the heck that had to do with my computer and he stated when he came to Canada he'd break in my house and rape me. Click...I hung up!
    Needless to say she is dealing with this further....

Sue

Starting to feel at home

I've heard if you get called by the "robots" that give you the dead air treatment, you can quickly push numerous buttons on your phone, and the robot is led to believe it's phoned a fax machine and the number is removed from their system. I've tried it several times, whether or not it works, I'll never know.

Had a Indian fellow phone me the other day, trying to sell something or another. For some reason, once I got through the thick accent that said his name was ANGUS MACDONALD, (he even had trouble saying it) I hung up on him. Who'd have thought the Indians are using Scottish names now.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by limeyrr View Post
    I've heard if you get called by the "robots" that give you the dead air treatment, you can quickly push numerous buttons on your phone, and the robot is led to believe it's phoned a fax machine and the number is removed from their system. I've tried it several times, whether or not it works, I'll never know.

I've also tried that, like you, I don't know if it helps, but it makes me feel better. They say the robot dead-air calls are to find out when you are home and then a "real" person can call back.
    My relative says she spoke to both an RCMP friend and her former boss ( an OPP chief of police ) so hopefully they will be able to do some tracing. Its very frightening when these callers resort to physical threats. ( You may hear more on local news broadcasts here in Ontario)

Sue

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345