Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mutley

A really loud old fashioned police whistle is also fun to use.
    Blow the scum away just as hard as you can blow.
    A certain amount of physical satisfaction is gained from that excercise.

JohnN

But then there's the danger that they might get a whistle or air horn and use it next time they phone! Or are scammers too nice to do a thing like that?

bibliojunkie

Some years ago we were the target of nuisance and obscene calls although we had an ex-directory number. The police advised having a whistle to hand. I used it on one occasion and there were no further calls.

I’ve not had the computer scam (yet) but did receive a call last week from a chap asking me about my accident. He insisted he had the correct telephone number but could not tell me what it was ‘for security reasons’ and he did not have my name because ‘I only have the file number.’ When told I had not had an accident he insisted that I had. Just before I put the phone down on him, I heard him say ‘surely you’ve had an accident in the last two years?’

Ali

raineshoe

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1955 View Post
    Can't everyone just get an air horn and blast them down the phone.
    That will stop it, I'm sure.
    That's what a copper told me to do once. Said to try a personal attack alarm and that down a phone at close quarters would have a desired result. Excellent!!!

Ultramum

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1955 View Post
    Can't everyone just get an air horn and blast them down the phone.
    That will stop it, I'm sure.
    I have used a playground whistle - took three calls being answered by a whistle blast but they stopped Thank the Lord for caller display!

Nannas

Hi,
    For Australians you can register with the Aust. Communications and Media Authority to be placed on a DO NOT CALL LIST.
    You can register home/business and mobile phone numbers (takes upto 30days to reach all call centres)

Nannas

Knowledgeable and helpful

The trouble with registering is that it only stops calls from organisations in your own country - we're on the Telephone Preference Service here in the UK but it can't stop calls from abroad.

However when a very obviously Asian voice comes on the phone and says "Hello, my name is Kevin" we know to put the phone down!

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

I keep them on the phone for as long as I can, while I eat my lunch or dinner etc. After 30-40 minutes, I just say no thank you, and I don't care what accent their voice is, and hang up.

I did once get a call from a double glazing company, and I kept him going for nearly an hour. At the end of it, he accused me of wasting his time.

I rarely get a call back.

Mind you, my phone number is not in the directory, and that does help a bit.

Steve.

exiled brummie

Most calls we receive seem to emanate from Asia and the caller finds it impossible to pronounce my surname correctly. I get ever so "helpful", telling them there is no one of that name here. However, I do "spend time looking in the phone book for them". Takes ages to find the phone book, and by the time I get back to them the phone is usually dead.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Tit for tat?..2 days ago I had a call,...phone ringing while I was out at the clothes line, I hastened in,(didn't run, last time I did that I fell on the concrete & busted a wrist), picked up phone said the usual 'hello" no answer, ..repeated it, & is anyone there?" sound of a teaspoon clinking on a cup.(perhaps).then high female voice said.."goodbye". Well how sweet is that? At least she didn't just hangup.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast