danwhitlesey

Post seeking info on the Whittlesey's medieval

Hi,
    My name is Dan Whittlesey.
    The name has different spellings: Whittlesea/Whittelsey/Whittlesey
    The 1st one I know about was William Whittlesea at the Siege of Acre, in 1187 with the King and about 50 knights, and this was a crusade to rescue the tomb of Jesus he was knighted in 1190 and 1192 he fell in battle. This is said to have rescued the tomb. But I have not seen any books or proof of this.

I Know about Archbishop William Whittlesey b:1300 death June 5, 1374 burried at Canterbury.
    I would like to know about the other knights and any information on these people or if there are books, and evidence the whittlesey's being in the crusades.
    And our family crest that is supposed to be the real one in the 1800's was brought to the USA. I was told the college of arms did not know anything about it. But with 3 scalloped shells on it. I know the definitions of it.
    But I am not sure how to prove it is the correct one.
    Anything that would be of help.
    I am a decendant of John Whittelsey B:July 4, 1623 in Cambridgeshire england but would like to find record of this, or it was near the town Whittlesey. He married Ruth Dudley on June 20th 1664 at Saybrook (new- england)
    I hope to be able to fill in the blanks of my family history.
    Thanks

Kathy Whittlese

Hi Dan

I am of this lineage and just recieved the 896 page book of the Whittelsey-Whittlesey family geneology put together by Charles Barney Whittlesey (1898 and 1941 Editions), Third Addition (1992) with additional compliation and updating by Willis S. Whittlesey III and Sarah Kimball Whittlesey Benavidez. It begins with John Whittlesey, b. July 4, 1623, m. Ruth Dudley on June 20, 1664 at Saybrook and continues to present day. I am 9th generation Whittlesey. If you would like more information please personally email me at kathywhittlesey AT yahoo DOT com. Looking forward to hearing from you. Kathy Whittlesey
    Last edited by notanotherminer; 08-05-2011 at 12:53 AM. Reason: disguised email address to prevent spammers