Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    whitesavage

Default Tasmanian Pioneer Index-JOHN CURRAN or SMITH

A plea for help. Does anyone have a copy of the Tasmanian Pioneer Index 1803-1899. I have hit a wall with my G-G Grandfather-John Curran or John Smith from Hobart
    John Curran and Elizabeth ???? were parents of 4 sons. John Thomas Curran-b 20 July 1836, Thomas Curran b 13 April 1838, William Curran b 7 may 1840 and Joseph Henry b 1 June 1846. All were baptized as Curran but later were all Smiths or Curran Smiths. On John Thomas Curran Smith's death certificate it states his parents as John Thomas Smith and Elizabeth Mundy.
    The Curran to Smith and Curran-Smith is a bit confusing. If anyone has the index , Is there a marriage of John Thomas Curran to an Elizabeth Mundy in Hobart Or a John Smith to Elizabeth Mundy.
    I found a death certificate for a John Smith from England b 1796 d 13 Nov 1866. This Smith died in the house where John Thomas Curran Smith was married in his fathers home in 1858.
    Thanks

Procat

Hi,

Unfortunately no marriage in Tasmania for an Elizabeth Mundy.

barrie wise

Default Curran - Smith

Hi,

A bit of information that you may not have: there is a marriage for John Curran to an Elizabeth in 1836 in Hobart, but would have to check the original at the Archives for more details. There are a number of convicts with the name of John Curran, so if he was one, that would probably explain the name change.

Burials at Cornelian Bay cemetery [Hobart]: William Curran Smith 94, buried 19-10-1934 area Wesley, section B, no. 252., William Curran Smith 84, died 14-8-1984, lived Glenorchy [suburb of Hobart], buried same grave., Hedley Curran Smith 72, buried 31-3-1958, Independent, section B, no. 202.

Tasmanian Archives online list the children you have, but a lot of information relating to the Curran Smiths are online in the local newspaper "The Mercury" you can search through Trove newspaper web site [ National Library of Australia], - particularly 20th October 1934 which has an obituary and photo of William Curran Smith.
    good luck,
    Barrie.

spison

The archives will send you the image of the marriage by e-mail. You need the actual reference number from the Pioneer Index as they won't research for you. The link to do this is somewhere in the Archives (not sure exactly where but you may end up in the Tasmanian State Library.) Last time I got one by e-mail it was free (hard copies cost). It will only be the church registration but should state whether she was a widow and should have ages (and probably - but not necessarily - ships if they were convicts).
    Jane

sharrieanne

Hi my grandfather was William Curran Smith born 1900 died 14-8-1984 lived in Glenorchy he is buried as stated above with his grandfather whom which we only knew as Dar.Not sure if any connection or of any help good luck with it all regards -
    Sharrie.

spison

Quote Originally Posted by spison View Post
    The archives will send you the image of the marriage by e-mail. You need the actual reference number from the Pioneer Index as they won't research for you.
    Sorry, I was in terrible hurry yesterday so here is the link that I should have found when I made the original post. It is still free by e-mail. I have received images of the Church Records this way so hopefully someone can give you the actual number from the Pioneer Index if you do want anything.

https://www.statelibrary.tas.gov.au/a...chandref/askus

Welcome to the Forum Sharrie. I hope that eventually whitesavage may find a link with you.

Jane

alliejaye

I actually send my Tasmania family enquiries to http:
    //reftracker.statelibrary.tas.gov.au/reftracker/reft100.aspx?key=taho&ref=120

whitesavage

Smile JOHN CURRAN & William Curran Smith b 7-5-1839

Quote Originally Posted by sharrieanne View Post
    Hi my grandfather was William Curran Smith born 1900 died 14-8-1984 lived in Glenorchy he is buried as stated above with his grandfather whom which we only knew as Dar.Not sure if any connection or of any help good luck with it all regards -
    Sharrie.
    Well hello cousin. My great grandfather John Thomas Curran Smith was William Curran Smith's older brother. There were 4 brothers- John Thomas Curran Smith-b. 20 July 1836, d 6 July 1908-Petersham, New South Wales; Thomas Curran Smith, b 13 Apr 1838, d unknown ; William Curran Smith, b 7 May 1839, d 18 Oct 1934 Hobart; Joseph Henry Curran Smith b May 1846, d 15 Dec 1916, North Melbourne, Victoria. All boys were christened as Curran. At some time they all became Smiths or Curran Smiths. Their father is the John Curran / Smith I am looking for. I have a public tree on Ancestry.com Blanc Tree if you wish to view all connections. I have numerous newspaper articles on William Curran Smith(the older) and can email them to you if you want. He was the court crier for the Supreme court in Hobart. I assume that you may have a family branch back to William Curran Smith, I would love to see the connections and descendants from him. If you wish to contact me direct send me an email. Would love to hear from you

whitesavage

Barrie.
    Thanks for the reply. I have that marriage from the Colonial Tasmanian family Link site. I have not requested a copy from Tasmania Archives as yet as I don't have a reference #. I have used Trove extensively and found many references to William Curran Smith who was the Court Crier for the Supreme Court, also to John Thomas Curran Smith my Gr Grand father who was the deputy Gaoler at the Old Hobart Gaol. Also found the death notice for Joseph Henry Curran Smith which referenced his relation as grandson of Philpot Curran-The Master of the Rolls in Ireland. Have not been able to make that connection. I have not pursued the convict connection as yet but it is a very probable option. John Smith who is referenced in some of the clippings of William and John Thomas was a Victualer in Hobart from 1838 to 1866 the year of his death. I am just not sure which path to follow to find his identity. Do you have any advice or direction for me.
    Tony

whitesavage

Procat
    Thanks. I have found an arrival of an Elizabeth Munday in 1934 on the Strathfieldsaye. She was 18. I am not sure if it appropriate to ask you this but I will and if it is not allowed please advise me. Is there any reference to her in a marriage and also is there any marriage reference to a John Curran to an Elizabeth or a John Smith to this Elizabeth?
    The responses I have received so far are excellent. Many thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast