Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Clark, Cook, London & Drage.. sutton, Suffolk

Hi, I have found this site today and am hoping I can glean more information about my family history.

I have been searching now for over six years mainly to try and find out my Grandfather's father. He was born out of wedlock in 1900 - his mother was called Florence Mahala Clark (b 1881). In 1902 she married a man called Charles Cook but the marriage was over within a year because the next record I have is her marriage in 1903 to a man called Charles London. Interestingly, her status was Spinster on this marriage certificate. she then married again in 1909 to a man called William Drage - this is the surname that my Grandfather kept.

My grandfather's full name is Selwyn Jared born 16.07.1900. He was born in sutton, Suffolk and, over the years, gained many half brothers and sisters. His Grandparents names were Jared and Bertha Clarke (nee wilson)

I have done a lot of research to find out his Father's name but have come to a full stop. If anyone can advise me where to go from here or if they have any information pertaining to the above, I would love to hear from them

thank you all

Mutley

I think I can see him in the 1901 census but his surname is transcribed as Parkes though Clarke on the original.
    Seems like he has a two year old sister named Bertha Parkes.
    RG13/1785, F.105 P.1
    (TNA Copyright)

Mutley

Seems that Bertha Parkes is the daughter of Mary Ann Clarke and Richard Parkes, no help there then.

Was the father column for Selwyn, blank on his birth certificate?

Mutley

If you do not have access to the 1911 census it would be worth buying some credits to have a look. Interesting entries for the family. :Smile5:
    RG14/10880 SN184 Felixstowe.

If you have seen it, William was not with the family, have you found him?

Yes, totally blank, and my Grandmother kept very quiet about the family history. I do know that Florence Mahala received a regular payment until my Grandfather was 21 but have no idea who from. Actions speak louder than words lol

William was in the army and I am guessing in 1911 he was away. she married him in 1909 - she had a very complicated, colourful life

Coromandel

If the fathers of illegitimate children were taken to court over maintenance payments, this may leave a paper trail, e.g. in Petty Sessions court records: try the appropriate county record office. The case may also have been reported in the local press.

Another thought: have you checked the relevant baptism register too? Sometimes the clergyman makes some remark about the parentage of illegitimate children.

Ruth Paley has written a book on the subject: My Ancestor was a Bastard.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Ruth Paley has written a book on the subject: My Ancestor was a Bastard.
    Available here.

Thanks for that Coromandel, a good idea . i did also wonder if Florence Mahala was in service at the time she became pregnant. He sisters were in London in a "big house" and its quite possible she was there too and that is where she fell. that generation kept everything very close to their chests and the secrets died with them. i doubt I will ever get to the bottom of it, but its fun trying to find out

i did actually get to visit the local church last year and took a walk throught the church yard where i found one family member's grave but nothing else. It is all very intriguing

Mutley

I did spend some time on this family and found it very interesting, though could post nothing that would answer your questions.
    Florence from servant background, to the 1911 living on private means with servants, was quite a jump!

London children were enumerated as 'steps' including Selwyn. Drage children were enumerator as 'hers'.
    A Drage and a London were both down as born in 1906. I've found Charles London but not found Wilfred Drage.

I think I found Charles Cook because he said he is married but in the how long column he has said 'NK',
    maybe as he has a young housekeeper he was not prepared to admit too much.

Do you have that certificate for their marriage?
    because if it was a marriage between Charles and your Florence then it is possible that bigamy was committed later.

It is all very intriguing Yes it is.

Mutley

There is a death registration of a William Drage in March 1921 at the age of 92 in Ipswich,

There is a probate reference which seems to correspond, has a William that died on 26 Jan in Ipswich.
    There are two sons mentioned, (sorry, cannot remember their names) both were colonels in the army but their names do not tie in with the children in 1911 so I bypassed them, am now wondering, maybe they are children from a marriage before that to Florence?

If this is a will for William, he may have mentioned the other children (including Selwyn) in it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast