Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

yes a good point... maybe the Honess's are something to do with where the girls worked in London... i can see no other reason either why Mayfair should be put as the place of birth.

I do know from family stories that Florence had an "income" all through Selwyn's childhood. i dont think it was made legal - probably silence money lol - I have pictures of Selwyn dressed very smartly and I dont think he went to a "village school".. Each time Florence married Selwyn took on the husband's surname ending up with Drage from William. I dont think his name was ever legally changed.

I put the name Richard Honess into google and i got a link to ancestry when it had his name, his wife and Dorothy and there was a link to someones family tree. i have sent a message to them on Ancestry - I just have to hope that they go there regularly and check their messages lol (I am not holding my breath on that one, but will post here if I hear from them )... maybe their descendants know how they knew the Clark's and what they were doing in Mayfair... fingers crossed

Jan

Default Richard Honess

.... I have just done a bit of research on Richard Honess and have found he married Rose Ann Clark in 1890... so I went to look at the 1891 census but all i can see without paying is that he was living in London! I think I have found my link to where Florence went as a domestic before Selwyn was born ... I am quite excited but need more access to ancestry to find the location... ahh well, three steps forward and one back lol....

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

1891 census
    RG12/70 folio 40 page 20
    9 Carrington Street, parish of St George Hanover Square
    Richard Honess, head, 29, Butler (Domestic), Liverpool
    Rose A, wife, 25 , Shottisham Suffolk
    Jared Clarke, visitor, 17, groom (domestic), Shottisham Suffolk

Death registration Rose Ann Honess, aged 30, December quarter 1895 St George Hanover Square registration district

Your local library may offer free access to Ancestry, though I don't know if you can access everything on the site.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Default Richard Honess

Oh Pam, thank you so much

I have just had a message from someone on ancestry and Richard and Rose Ann's child, Dorothy, was her grandmother! Aparently she was the daughter of his second wife who died shortly after the birth and Richard decided to take Dorothy back to Suffolk to be cared for by his first wife's family (Rose Ann Clark's family) which is why she appears on the 1901 census.

The information you have given me will be of great help... many, many thanks - I feel i am getting a step closer with each piece of information but am not really sure I will ever find out who Selwyn's father is - however it is a lot of fun trying

Well here I am back again some 12 years later! I am still searching for Selwyn's father but to no avail. I have now got my DNA on Ancestry and My Heritage so hoping that may bring up something. Neither say I have close relatives - just distant cousins... still you never know. I have found out though that Florence had another child probably while William was away with the army. She lived in Plymouth at the time with servants and had a lodger, Earnest Tayler Eastwood. A member on here messaged me to say their Grandmother was adopted and on the birth certificate the mother was Florenced Mahala Clarke and the father Earnest Tayler Eastwood. They went on to say that someone called midwife Norton placed the baby with a family with the names John and Emma Dines - the baby would grow up with their two children. My word, what a tangled web she wove! So somewhere in Australia is another branch of my family. The member who contacted me was called july63 and I am trying to contact them again... long shot as it was 2017 when we had contact. I really am now intrigued to find out more about this missing relative. Anyone have any idea where I go from here? Any suggestions greatfully received :~)

I think this is the birth registration for Florence and Ernest's child, and if so she was born in the Ipswich registration district, not Plymouth.

Births Sep 1912, Eastwood, Winifred E, Mother's maiden name Clark, Ipswich 4a 2010

I have found out though that Florence had another child probably while William was away with the army. She lived in Plymouth at the time with servants and had a lodger, Earnest Tayler Eastwood. A member on here messaged me to say their Grandmother was adopted and on the birth certificate the mother was Florenced Mahala Clarke and the father Earnest Tayler Eastwood. They went on to say that someone called midwife Norton placed the baby with a family with the names John and Emma Dines - the baby would grow up with their two children.
    So somewhere in Australia is another branch of my family
    From information I've found Winifred Ellen emigrated to Canada, not Australia. I'm confident I have the right person as I've seen Winifred E Eastwood on the 1921 census in Ipswich and others on the census return have names matching the names you mention.

Marriages Dec 1938, Eastwood Winifred H, Soper William C P, Ipswich 4a 2905
    I imagine she's entered as Winifred H - H for Helen when in fact she's Winifred Ellen.

More to follow.
    Alma

Winifred's husband was born in Canada.

William Cuthbert Percival Soper, Birth 28 Oct 1914, Middlesex, Ontario, Canada
    Father William Cuthbert Soper; Mother Sarah Lillian Roberts.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````
    Courtesy of Ancestry's U.S., Index to Alien Arrivals at Canadian Atlantic and Pacific Seaports, 1904-1944. Arrived St Albans Vermont 1939.

William Soper 24, Winifred Soper 26, Miss Norma Soper 2 months. There's two other Soper's on the list but I've not searched for them to see if they are relatives of William, their names: Dr John E Soper, 73, Mildred E Soper 65.
    You can find Norma's birth on FreeBMD 1939 Ipswich.

Coincidentally I've now found a tree on Ancestry, the tree owner is David Knights and he's a distant DNA match to me (small world), 5th to 8th cousin paternal. David has some super photos of William and Winifred, one is their wedding photo.

There's also other trees which have William and. Winifred
    Alma

Courtesy of - Ancestry's Canada, Obituary Collection, 1898-Current
    Wow, what a grand old age she reached.

Name Winifred Soper Soper, Death Age 105, Date 25 Jun 2017, born abt 1912
    Spouse William C. Soper
    Child Norma J. Mann; Sinclair Soper; Gloria
    Alma

Thank you Almach very much. It makes sense that it was Ipswich as Florence was born in Sutton Suffolk and she lives there for a few years. She must have gone back there to have the baby as I am pretty sure it is my great grandmother who is named as the mother.

Also I didnt have much information on Winnifred as the person who approached me here in PM only sent one message and that was in 2017. I am not sure why I thought it was Australia, perhaps just a guess, but thank you for confirming that she did in fact live in Canada.

I can certainly do a little more research now into the Sopers - as you say a very small world!!

Thank you again

Jan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123