CoxfamilyRC

Default COX - burials at Ockbrook, Derbyshire

I have found the grave of my great grandfather, Thomas Cox (B. 1832, Died December 26, 1904) at Ockbrook Church, Derbyshire. His wife, Caroline (B. 1840) is also there - but I do not klnow when she died. She is in the Census for 1901 and after that I have no trace.
    Also, there is a carving on the grave site of Thomas Cox, died November 16, 1924 aged 85 - and I have found absolutely no trace of him. The only one is Thomas Reginald Cox, youngest child of Thomas and Caroline, born November 18, 1879. Do they make mistakes on gravestone carvings (age at death), or should I try looking elsewhere?
    Any advice or pointers would be much appreciated.
    Might be a bottle of wine in it for someone - great grandfather was head of a firm of wine and spirit merchants in Derby, but I think it's all been drunk now!

Reputation beyond repute

His wife, Caroline (B. 1840) is also there - but I do not klnow when she died.
    Why not get the death certificate?
    Caroline COX 1924 Dec Shardlow 7b 468 (Age 85)

Thomas Cox, died November 16, 1924 aged 85
    If I were you I'd check that you haven't confused Thomas and Caroline

Lizzy9

Could this be Caroline's death registration?

Caroline Cox, 4th qrt 1924, age 85, Shardlow Derbyshire, 7b/468

Lizzy9

Late again!

Peter's remark makes sense, the carving most probably relates to Caroline.

Reputation beyond repute

For future use, here's a bookmark for the questioner

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Coromandel

It can be easy to misinterpret gravestone inscriptions if bits are missing or faint.

So what might have looked like
    Thomas Cox, who died November 16, 1924 aged 85

might have just been the second part of something like
    Caroline, the wife of
    Thomas Cox, who died November 16 1924, aged 85.

It only takes a bit of frost damage to wipe out a crucial line!
    You should be able to cross-check burial dates in the parish register of Ockbrook Church. According to this large PDF file, https://www. derbyshire.gov.uk/images/Parish%20Register%20Guide_tcm9-17013.pdf, Derbyshire Record Office have the Ockbrook burial registers from 1630 to 2001.

CoxfamilyRC

Many thanks to all.
    I will take your advice and see what happens.
    This is my first 'real' post to British Genealogy and I am amzed at the positive and helpful responses.
    Thank you all.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello coxfamilyrc. I just happened to Google my great grandparents names, Thomas and Caroline Cox from Derby and found your question. Their son Robert, born around 1869, married Constance Marion Newbold and my father Ronald Cantrilll Cox was born in 1915. Thomas was a prominent figure in the masons. Robert had several siblings, in 1881 they lived in Breadsall. I have a photo of Thomas' grave in Ockbrook. Looks very much like we could be related.

CoxfamilyRC

Default Hello relation!

I have done a family tree back to 'our' great, great grandfather (born Nuneaton and he went on to become a surgeon in Tamworth - and one of 24 burgers under the MPO, one Lord Robert Peel!).
    I have a photo of Thomas.
    I am the last direct male in the line from Thomas Cox's son, William. ([email protected])